Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:59 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,122,843 times

Advertisements

Utah identifies 2 allegedly behind immigrant list - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100716/ap_on_re_us/us_undocumented_immigrant_list - broken link)

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY – Utah officials said Friday they have identified at least two state workers who apparently accessed confidential documents to create a list of 1,300 purported illegal immigrants that was mailed to law enforcement officials and the news media.

Gov. Gary Herbert said the employees work for the Department of Workforce Services, which administers food stamp programs and other public benefits. The employees have been placed on administrative leave, and the state attorney general will determine whether to file criminal charges.

"It's a very small group. The people we've identified certainly have some strong political opinions and seem to be frustrated with some of the issues around immigration," said Kristen Cox, executive director for the department. "I think it's an immense hypocrisy to talk about taking people to task for being illegal and doing so by breaking the law."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,868,484 times
Maybe they're "frustrated" by having to provide benefits for ILLEGALS.............

Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,275,457 times
Amazing how the gov can devote resourses for this investigation but don't seem able to go after the illegals. I wonder if they will use this list to investigate the people on it?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,546,315 times
Yeah, they made a stupid mistake, the people caught
taking that type of information

And after reading the article what are they going to
do with the illegals it's not really a big secret now
I find it funny this was mentioned but there are some
great quotes the seem to be inline with our 'MISGUIDED'
federal government

""I think it's an immense hypocrisy to talk about taking people to task for being illegal and doing so by breaking the law."Kristen Cox, executive director Utah Department of Workforce Services

A U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman acknowledged that it received the list but declined to say whether the agency is doing anything with it.

ICE won't confirm whether it has been investigating anyone unless there is some type of action such as an arrest, spokeswoman Virginia Kice said. She noted that with limited resources, the agency prioritizes its efforts on dangerous convicted criminals, not sweeps or raids that would target undocumented immigrants indiscriminately.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,692,676 times
i for one am glad they caught these snoops. what other info did they get and disseminate?

i dont condem their intent tho. just their actions.

in the near future maybe some position can be created that essentially does what these workers did. if they were able to cross reference whatever databases they did, there should be a paid position for that type of work.
of course there should be some oversight in order to ensure that innocent legal citizens werent wrongly named.
a position like this is good. but there should be "officialness" and accountability, not some nilly willy snooping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Amazing how the gov can devote resourses for this investigation but don't seem able to go after the illegals. I wonder if they will use this list to investigate the people on it?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i for one am glad they caught these snoops. what other info did they get and disseminate?

i dont condem their intent tho. just their actions.

in the near future maybe some position can be created that essentially does what these workers did. if they were able to cross reference whatever databases they did, there should be a paid position for that type of work.
of course there should be some oversight in order to ensure that innocent legal citizens werent wrongly named.
a position like this is good. but there should be "officialness" and accountability, not some nilly willy snooping.
Here's a first:

I agree with you!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 PM

76 posts, read 84,256 times
the State/Fed are hurting the citizens. They are wasting our tax dollars doing the non-senses. Go after the Illegal will you? or secure the dam border. ARgg

Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 PM

4,788 posts, read 5,918,771 times
I wish all of the illegals were posted on the internet every DAY. Names, addresses, how much welfare, and foodstamps they are getting, free medical treatment. I saw some Mexican people at the docs office today who couldn't produce a paper, and they left in a huff. Horrible looking beasties. Kids running amok. One boy was so fat he looked like he was about to drop triplets. The mother was jabbering in Spanish 50 miles an hour. When they left the waiting room, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. If they are any indication of where this country is headed, we are all in big trouble. We don't need our problems compounded.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 PM

286 posts, read 537,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I wish all of the illegals were posted on the internet every DAY. Names, addresses, how much welfare, and foodstamps they are getting, free medical treatment. I saw some Mexican people at the docs office today who couldn't produce a paper, and they left in a huff. Horrible looking beasties. Kids running amok. One boy was so fat he looked like he was about to drop triplets. The mother was jabbering in Spanish 50 miles an hour. When they left the waiting room, everyone breathed a sigh of relief. If they are any indication of where this country is headed, we are all in big trouble. We don't need our problems compounded.
And now they will run to the ER knowing they won't have to pay for anything yet again and let the rest of us foot the bill.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:03 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,317,303 times
No surprise that they worked for an office that deals with the food assistance programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration