Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times

Advertisements

After reading the pros and cons here about illegal aliens, this is what I think:

Our present and prior government has done very little to solve the problem. About 10 to 15 years' ago, when the Illegals began coming here en mass, our government began building a wall on the California side. The wall has been built, the border patrol has become more corrupt, and the problem is still unsolved...............the government has become more wishy-washy, and nothing gets resolved. A lot of these Illegals have children now born in the USA, and are still not paying taxes.

Remember, that we have here Illegal aliens from many parts of the world besides Mexico! They are getting paid under the table, and we are not getting a share of the taxes, so the government should give them amnesty, allow them to identify themselves, work toward citizenship, and pay taxes........problem solved.

Now, we should concentrate our efforts in keeping our borders away from people that want to cross here illegally, and do a better job.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,656 times
That is a national issue. Here is the NYC forum. You posted in the wrong place.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
That is a national issue. Here is the NYC forum. You posted in the wrong place.
Not really considering NYC has the 3 highest amount of illegal aliens living there.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Not really considering NYC has the 3 highest amount of illegal aliens living there.
Yeah but the OP is talking about this generally on a national level with nothing specifically stating anything on NYC.

Anyways I believe first off we need to stop the bleeding as best we can. And that means shutting down the borders. Also the law for those born in this country should be amended to add the criteria that BOTH PARENTS MUST BE US CITIZENS in order for the newborn to become one. Next...if there is any type of amnesty program it MUST include being fully able to speak ENGLISH. Then I would give them all under 5 years to become a US citizen. They need to put in the extra time to learn English and the knowledge for passing the exam to become a US citizen...if they can't too bad...at the 5 year mark, immediate deportation for all those who don't become citizens.

I know this would be expensive but don't get me started on all the useless spending the government has been doing since I can remember no matter who's in control of Congress and the Presidency.

While I may not completely agree with Arizona's new policies I commend the governor there for trying to do something about the problem since the federal government won't. And yet the feds have time to challenge their new laws in court. Ridiculous. The governor is trying to protect her people from the incoming masses of not only illegals but some illegals which are drug dealers and in gangs. Its already spilled over the border into the US.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
And a blanket amnesty "solves the problem?" Seems to me that only justifies their coming here illegally in the first place.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
The OP is thinking exactly the way the establishment is trying to brainwash the public into thinking.
In truth, businesses don't like to pay high salaries. The jobs that they cannot outsource to another country are often being filled by illegals who are lowering salaries for all of us, particularly for our own working poor.
There have been many black businesses that have closed, construction in California for one, because they cannot compete with the low salaries.
We used to have a society in which every succeeding generation did better than their parents. The loss of jobs and replacement with low paying jobs has ended that. We are turning into a third world nation with these government policies that favor big business and not the citizen.
Hospitals around the country have closed and teachers are laid off and class sizes are larger because these people often have large families (anchor babies) and cannot pay taxes (even if they were given amnesty) to pay for the education of all those kids.
They send their earnings home as much as possible, so their earnings are not recirculating in the U.S. to help our economy.
There should be designated groups to inspect businesses and when an illegal employee is found severe penalties and LOTS of publicity should be done/made.
If Arizona's law were illegal, and it just mimics the federal law, then sanctuary cities are certainly illegal because that is in direct defiance of federal law.
If businesses that hire them were penalized they would have no jobs, nothing to hold them here. They would migrate home on their own with no intervention by us.
How many of these druggie gangs around the country are composed of legal citizens?
Think of the tax savings to the country with hospitals and schools and prisons being depopulated of illegals.
We gave them amnesty once and we did so while telling the public it is a one time deal and we will never do that again.
Now it has attracted millions of new illegals.
If we give these a path to citizenship there will just be another batch of millions in a short time.
Why not just tear down that wall and call us the republic of Mexico and make Spanish our official language.
We are being turned into a third world nation with very rich on top, benfiting from a robust stock market which is fed by low paid workers and the rest of the people being jobless or having low wages and expected to kiss the @#&* of the wealthy.
It has to stop somewhere if we are to retain our identity as Americans.
It has to stop here.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
it is not in the interests of our corporat-ocracy to enforce the borders, simply because (as stated above) that would limit the amount of cheap labor in the country. the general public can hee and haw all they like but as long as the government is controlled by the elite, nothing's going to change.

also, a big reason for the huge increase in illegal immigration from south of the border is due to NAFTA, do some research and you'll see what i'm talking about. basically they destroyed the livelihoods of many poor farmers in the south who couldn't compete with the flood of cheap food from the north.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And a blanket amnesty "solves the problem?" Seems to me that only justifies their coming here illegally in the first place.
Fred: Nothing is being done..........I am inclined to believe the government wants them to come..........and unless these people take their place in society, are identified, and pay taxes, like the rest of us, there is going to continue to commit crimes, people will continue to abuse them, etc.

Look what is happening in Long Island and Staten Island, where many of these people, who are decent and hard working, with children born here, are being mutilated with bats...............rendered quadraplegics.......etc.

Something has to be done...............the government does not want to take the responsibility. Look what is happening in Arizona, and California, where one state is being placed against each other.

We need to do something about it.............. because nothing else is working. And then, we need to protect our borders, and stop the corruption there.......................

Old 07-23-2010, 03:35 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
This thread needs to be moved!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:17 PM

65 posts, read 186,586 times
Rubies, I agree with you that these people need to be identified and they need to pay taxes. Realistically, how does the government deport 12 million people? However, our President simply wants to appease one of his largest voting blocks. He is only interested in being re-elected. He could care less about breaking the backs of taxpayers. I think a fair, realistic approach would be some sort of identification program where illegals are allowed to work and pay taxes while they qualify for citizenship. Most importantly, our borders need to be shut and the bleeding stopped, as someone else stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration