Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,394,644 times

Advertisements

I have a proposed solution to the immigration problem.

It seems to me there are two types of illegals here- those who would be citizens, if they could, and those who are just here to work, and have no interest in "assimilating" into American culture. We need with a solution that addresses both.

In the first group are those illegal families that have lived in the US for years, own homes, have jobs, have kids (born here or elsewhere) that are in school or college. Their only "crime" lies in how they got here. Why should these people living responsible, productive lives have to live in fear? Let's put them on a "path to citizenship".

The second group are transitory types, who came here primarily to find work. They have no interest in adopting our culture , learning English, saluting our flag. They are Mexicans, not wanna-be Americans, and they are just here to work, send money back to their families in Mexico, and try to stay out of trouble. Employers readily hire them (because they work for peanuts), but the population, and in many cases the authorities, are openly scornful and hostile to them.

Both types of illegals now live furtive, compromised lives, for the privilege of living here.

Here is my idea:

Open a series of "Ellis Islands" along the border, official immigration/foreign visitor centers, where the migrants can be sorted into different lines, one for those wishing to assimilate (i.e, seek citizenship), and one for those seeking only temporary work permits.

Everyone gets screened, printed, and photographed, and is issued tamper-proof status cards on the spot. Let's have some kind of streamlined "fast track" to citizenship for those who want it, not the cumbersome years long process we now have. They can't become citizens on the spot, obviously, but why not make their status "pending", and issue IDs that allow them to work, register their kids for school, obtain official drivers permits, health care cards, etc.

Those who only wish to come here seeking work can be issued worker permits and health cards, be allowed to seek a driver's permit, and be assured of safe, hassle-free transit back and forth between the US and Mexico, so long as they obey all laws, pass through the check-point every time, and agree to work for whatever their employers will pay (employers would be compelled to make payroll taxes on these "special status" workers) Whether or not they learn English is up to them.

Obviously, unless and until they achieve citizenship, neither group would be allowed to vote in US elections.

We can even charge these folks fees for all these services, to help off-set costs. It would be safer and cheaper than what they have to pay coyotes now.

We can open branches of these immigration centers at several major metropolitan areas across the country as well, so that the 10-12 million already here can have access too, without having to travel back to the border. There would be no "touching home", or "going to the back of the line"- if you're already here, it's actually an advantage to you, just for the sake of practicality for everyone.

Now, once this process is in place, anyone foolish enough to still try to enter the country illegally (that is, by avoiding these steps), by all means, round those people up and deport them! They'll either be crooks, smugglers, or scoff-laws, and we don't want them here.

Expensive as hell, I know, and Utopian, especially given our current political climate. But considering how messed up the status quo is, a way forward, perhaps? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,815,061 times
Default Proposed solution

Quote:
In the first group are those illegal families that have lived in the US for years, own homes, have jobs, have kids (born here or elsewhere) that are in school or college. Their only "crime" lies in how they got here. Why should these people living responsible, productive lives have to live in fear? Let's put them on a "path to citizenship".

Here's my idea...Get the hell out and come back here LEGALLY!

NO AMNESTY!!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
Those who would like to be citizens already had a way to apply for legal immigration just like immigrants from all over the world have done. They didn't want to follow an orderly and fair process. Now how fair is your proposal to all those law abiding types throughout the world who have waited for years? You want to give the law breakers rewards and basically shut out the law abiders forever.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:38 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,582,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

It seems to me there are two types of illegals here- those who would be citizens, if they could, and those who are just here to work, and have no interest in "assimilating" into American culture. We need with a solution that addresses both.

I disagree. Their only “crime” is not their mode of entry. Rather, in addition to illegally entering our country or overstaying visas, they MUST also commit SSN ID theft, document fraud, and/or tax evasion. Their entire existence in this country, lengthy or brief, is based on lies and deception. They should not be rewarded for their adeptness to violate our laws and elude authorities.

I am very leery about granting amnesty to people who have become so accustomed to unlawful behavior. Do you think they will magically change with legalization? No, if anything, they will hone their illegal skills and transfer them to other aspects of their newly-amnestied lives. No thank you.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times
My solution. If the illegal was committing any other crime such as felony document fraud and ID theft, or committed violent crimes, failed to pay into social security tax and federal income tax then no deal - they should be sent home and barred from reentry permanently.

If they are found here simply breaking immigration laws but no other crime and have faithfully paid their taxes on any cash income, then they can return home with a clean record and get in line behind those who have already applied and in the meantime, if they have failed to learn English they can be working on that (back home, not at our expense) but the system should reward only those who try to do things the right way.

Illegals returning home should be encouraged to take their children home with them even if that means they support their children without welfare handouts but if they truly wish to abandon their US born children, then let them - the children would be better off put up for adoption.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 AM

50,478 posts, read 47,209,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

The second group are transitory types, who came here primarily to find work. They have no interest in adopting our culture , learning English, saluting our flag. They are Mexicans, not wanna-be Americans, and they are just here to work, send money back to their families in Mexico, and try to stay out of trouble. Employers readily hire them (because they work for peanuts), but the population, and in many cases the authorities, are openly scornful and hostile to them.

Both types of illegals now live furtive, compromised lives, for the privilege of living here.

Here is my idea:

Open a series of "Ellis Islands" along the border, official immigration/foreign visitor centers, where the migrants can be sorted into different lines, one for those wishing to assimilate (i.e, seek citizenship), and one for those seeking only temporary work permits.

Everyone gets screened, printed, and photographed, and is issued tamper-proof status cards on the spot. Let's have some kind of streamlined "fast track" to citizenship for those who want it, not the cumbersome years long process we now have. They can't become citizens on the spot, obviously, but why not make their status "pending", and issue IDs that allow them to work, register their kids for school, obtain official drivers permits, health care cards, etc.

Those who only wish to come here seeking work can be issued worker permits and health cards, be allowed to seek a driver's permit, and be assured of safe, hassle-free transit back and forth between the US and Mexico, so long as they obey all laws, pass through the check-point every time, and agree to work for whatever their employers will pay (employers would be compelled to make payroll taxes on these "special status" workers) Whether or not they learn English is up to them.

Obviously, unless and until they achieve citizenship, neither group would be allowed to vote in US elections.

We can even charge these folks fees for all these services, to help off-set costs. It would be safer and cheaper than what they have to pay coyotes now.

We can open branches of these immigration centers at several major metropolitan areas across the country as well, so that the 10-12 million already here can have access too, without having to travel back to the border. There would be no "touching home", or "going to the back of the line"- if you're already here, it's actually an advantage to you, just for the sake of practicality for everyone.

Now, once this process is in place, anyone foolish enough to still try to enter the country illegally (that is, by avoiding these steps), by all means, round those people up and deport them! They'll either be crooks, smugglers, or scoff-laws, and we don't want them here.

Expensive as hell, I know, and Utopian, especially given our current political climate. But considering how messed up the status quo is, a way forward, perhaps? What do you guys think?

I'm glad that people are thinking outside the normal realm but, this brings up other issues.
How do you figure out which is what type? Do you "ask" them? How do you trust people who have lied and cheated from the start?
How do we expose the amount of back taxes, the damage done by fake and stolen documents? Do we "ask" them what they've done? The problem is, we can't trust them. The ones that are truthful and honest come here the right way.

Just because someone "wants" is not reason enough to please them. I want a Ferrari, should you pay for my Ferrari?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,334,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I disagree. Their only “crime” is not their mode of entry. Rather, in addition to illegally entering our country or overstaying visas, they MUST also commit SSN ID theft, document fraud, and/or tax evasion. Their entire existence in this country, lengthy or brief, is based on lies and deception. They should not be rewarded for their adeptness to violate our laws and elude authorities.

I am very leery about granting amnesty to people who have become so accustomed to unlawful behavior. Do you think they will magically change with legalization? No, if anything, they will hone their illegal skills and transfer them to other aspects of their newly-amnestied lives. No thank you.
Absolutely, Benicar! When someone has already proven they are dishonest and put themselves above the law they can't be trusted.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,400,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You obviously don't personally know a single illegal immigrant, this is such crap, couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:31 PM

8,645 posts, read 10,177,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
You obviously don't personally know a single illegal immigrant, this is such crap, couldn't be further from the truth.
I actually know a few. There is truth in that they aren't always the most honest people. "Going back to Mexico for a few days" is pretty commonly told to boyfriends, girlfriends, etc... Family members in Mexico "deathly ill" one day, and perfectly fine the next (what exactly is happening down there in Mexico?? ). Makes money, but never has any money...I know a few who have paid others to be married to them also. Some don't even go by their real names.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:48 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,334,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I actually know a few. There is truth in that they aren't always the most honest people. "Going back to Mexico for a few days" is pretty commonly told to boyfriends, girlfriends, etc... Family members in Mexico "deathly ill" one day, and perfectly fine the next (what exactly is happening down there in Mexico?? ). Makes money, but never has any money...I know a few who have paid others to be married to them also. Some don't even go by their real names.
I know of such illegals myself. Disgusting, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration