Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,111,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Is the percentage of hispanics higher than 50 years ago?

I don't really think it is, if any group seems to be growing it is Mormons, are you alarmed about them?

Arizona used to be part of Mexico
A new baby boom

Immigrants didn't flock here until the late 1990s as the state began preparing to host the 2002 Winter Olympics. Through much of the 1990s, non-agricultural jobs in Utah grew twice as fast as in the nation as a whole. A housing boom feeds the surge. Construction jobs grew 12.4% in 2005 and are expected to jump 15.3% this year.

About two-thirds of Utah's new immigrants came from abroad and the rest from other states, mainly California. The state's Hispanic population soared to about 270,000 in 2005, up 33.1% since 2000. Hispanics contributed about a quarter of the state's growth in the 1990s.

Utah has long had unusual demographics. It has the highest share of married households of any state, the youngest marrying age, the highest birth rate, the largest average household size and the youngest median age. The state is on its third post-World War II baby boom and is bracing for another one because of immigrants.

Hispanic fertility rates in Utah not only exceed those of non-Hispanic whites here but also those of Hispanics nationally and even of women in Mexico, says Perlich, the University of Utah demographer.

Many Utah immigrants are recent arrivals who come from rural Latin America where birth-control education is non-existent. They're now in a state where large families are the norm and birth control is not part of the public discussion.

USATODAY.com - Immigrants turn Utah into mini-melting pot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,541,353 times
Quote:
Is the percentage of hispanics higher than 50 years ago? I don't really think it is
That's because they don't spend as much time in southern
Arizona. Now the plan is to get to Phoenix then off to somewhere else unless the coyote's hold them until their
families can send more cash.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,345,804 times
Quote:
Is the percentage of hispanics higher than 50 years ago?

I don't really think it is, if any group seems to be growing it is Mormons, are you alarmed about them?

You even have to ask such a question? Of course there are many more Hispanics than in the past. Most are Catholics and believe in having numerous children whether they can provide for them or not. I don't see an illegal invasion of Mormons going on in this country, do you?

So what? Your clue is "used to be".

Old 08-31-2010, 03:57 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,861,967 times
Quote:

Sorry but you're wrong - the state of Arizona is one of the United States of America and was never "part of Mexico"...............

Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM

54 posts, read 112,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If we are ALL immigrants, why do we need immigration laws, visas, etc?

How can a person be an immigrant if they, and their parents and grandparents, were born here? Furthermore, according to your “logic,†Native Americans would also be considered immigrants.
You missed the symbolic point I was trying to make which is that America is a nation of immigrants, who should understand what it means to leave one's own country in search of a better life.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,750,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Sorry but you're wrong - the state of Arizona is one of the United States of America and was never "part of Mexico"...............
You mean it was one of the original 13 Colonies?
Arizona was ceded to the US by Mexico after the Mexican War (you added state of, not I)
Check the upper right corner and see where I live.
My house is in the Gadsden purchse that was bought from Mexico
There were Mexicans and Apaches living here before any Americans although the Spanish and Apache got here about the same time

Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedster View Post
You missed the symbolic point I was trying to make which is that America is a nation of immigrants, who should understand what it means to leave one's own country in search of a better life.
The U.S. was "once" a nation of immigrants. Today we are a nation of U.S. citizens mostly. Those who left Europe seeking a better life did not come here illegally.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,750,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The U.S. was "once" a nation of immigrants. Today we are a nation of U.S. citizens mostly. Those who left Europe seeking a better life did not come here illegally.
Most came here indentured, and still are

Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,877,971 times
Quote:
You people are completely hysterical who just rant and rant one hyperbole after another without any statistics to back up any of your claims.

And unless you're Native American. You're all immigrants.
Unless you live on the moon you live in a country that has a border policy. No country on the face of the earth has no border policy at all. Why should America somehow be the first? Worse why should we do so to serve the needs of people who willfully break our laws?

Yeah my great-grandparents were immigrants and legal ones at that. So what? America needed them. America invited them. And when America did not need them they slammed that door shut good and hard.

Not only that but Americans made demands of them. They had no bilingual education classes or welfare. They had no safety needs provided by US taxpayers.

You want to talk about my immigrant ancestors. Great. Don't you dare tell me I'm supposed to have one standard for them and another where I have to learn Spanish because some guys crossed the border without permission.

Apply the laws equally. Lord knows the Mexican government -- source of much of the illegal migration here -- has no trouble applying immigration laws to foreigners who dare so much as move a step into their side of the border.

Quote:
Please go do some research.

America has only intermittenly been a nation of immigrants. Immigrants came in waves. Once Americans decided they'd had enough people here they said no more. The current wage of immigration has been going on since 1965. There's no inherent need for it to continue especially in the teeth of the worst recession in many decades.

Immigrant does not equal saint.

You want a better life? Great. Fabulous. Fantastic.

Individual Americans are under no obligation to provide it for you. Believe it or not a better life is a two way street. If you feel that immigrants are entitled to a better life well I feel I'm not obligated to provide it at the expense of my own community's unity and well being. Let alone with my actual tax dollars in the form of subsidies to anchor babies.

The best way to get that better life is hardly to violate immigration laws, move somewhere where you do not speak the language and take jobs that only support you with the help of the American government.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Most came here indentured, and still are
They came here "not" in violation of our immigration laws. Does that make it clearer for you? Many still do. Far too many do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration