Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,451,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

Jill61, thank you for the smiles........you're cracking me up.

1. I'm sorry your husband had a bad day, but am glad he's not hurt.

2. I'm glad you weren't in the car......LOL, otherwise you might be in jail and the jerk woman might be in the hospital. Deservingly so!!

3. Does your husband have a brother? Single brother?

HappyTexan is right, some people have gone way, way overboard. And she ran into him!!!!!!!!! She sounded like a jerk.
1. Thank you so much!

2. Okay, I'm truly laughing out loud.

3. Everyone who meets him asks me that - he's that nice. Why he puts up with me, I'll never know. Sadly, no, he's the only boy among 4 other siblings. He doesn't even have any single friends. I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM

767 posts, read 490,455 times
Actually a federal law stripped the Arizona law of it's most controversial and unconstitutional provisions. Cops in Arizona can no longer demand to see your papers just because you ran a red light. The constitution prevailed.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,161,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Damn Danes (I prefer the slang "Amstels"). Just listening to them talk, you know they must be here illegally. Most don't have licenses or insurance. Drive rusted out Saabs and Volvos. But I guess we have to tolerate them as they do the work Americans won't
I know! And I HATE how they protest in our streets, demanding their right to be here illegally, suck up billions of our tax dollars w/ free healthcare & welfare, cursing in Danish, flying their Danish flag, DEMANDING we push 2 for Danish,and all the dang grocery store signs are in Danish,too!!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,900,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Dude, what aren't you getting about this thread?

Do you think the text of the law mattered one lick to the woman who thought she had the right to ask my husband to show her his Green Card??? It's about the atmosphere the law and the hate-filled rhetoric it has created are doing to our nation.
so just because arizona has an anti illegal immigration law you think that this woman felt she had the right to ask your husband for his green card, in california? chances are she likely would have asked for it anyway. regardless of the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Actually a federal law stripped the Arizona law of it's most controversial and unconstitutional provisions. Cops in Arizona can no longer demand to see your papers just because you ran a red light. The constitution prevailed.
if was not a federal law, it was a federal court judge that blocked, NOT stripped the provisions.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:05 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,451,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

ok, so some pinheaded woman rear ends your husband, glad to hear he is ok though, and she is likely NOT a cop, and you have the gall to equate her stupidity with SB1070? have you read the law? have you read the federal law on which sb1070 is based? this crap is getting old, and stupid. stop listening to the liberal media, and actually READ THE DAMN LAW AND SEE WHAT IS SAYS FOR YOURSELF!!!!

private citizens can do nothing in that regard, and the LEOs have a high standard in arizona to meet BEFORE THEY CAN QUESTION ONES CITIZENSHIP!! read the law then get back to me after you find out what a pinhead you are talking about the law.
How about instead, you READ THE DAMN THREAD so you know I'm talking about the RHETORIC and the ATMOSPHERE that is springing up, not the "letter" of that specific law.

BTW, I've reported your post for violating the TOS with a personal insult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

List of states with "papers, please" laws;

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Louisiana
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Rhode Island
Utah
Vermont
Wisconsin

Stop and Identify statutes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See also -

Terry v. Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, it was just a nobody citizen who was asking for a green card.. Like she had any authority anyway.
Do you really not GET the difference between identification, which provides things like your name, address, etc. (which, by the way, he had already given her when he gave her his driver license and insurance card, even though he's the one who was hit), and Citizenship Papers?

Seriously?

At least you got the last sentence in your post correct.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,041,559 times
Quote:
Running a red light is probable cause to stop your vehicle and you are required to provide your "papers", which is simply your driver's license in Arizona. Sure you could refuse, but instead of a ticket you go to jail.

The so called "unconstitutional" part of the bill was not the ID provision, which in fact exists in dozens of states across the US, but rather, the ability to build "probable cause" based solely on assuming someone is in the country illegally.

Of course, why I waste my breath with legal talk on a bunch of political blowhards is beyond me.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,518,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
oh ok if you say so.
Can't possibly argue with your single incident.
I know, one incident with one wing nut certainly makes for a giant bowl of hate soup.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
BTW, I've reported your post for violating the TOS with a personal insult. Do you really not GET the difference between identification, which provides things like your name, address, etc. (which, by the way, he had already given her when he gave her his driver license and insurance card, even though he's the one who was hit), and Citizenship Papers?
Arizona requires proof of citizenship (or proof of legal residence) to obtain a driver's license or state issue ID card. California is probably the same way. All you need is your DL to prove citizenship under the Arizona law.

Now take a chill pill and quit trying to bite everyone's head off.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM

767 posts, read 490,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Running a red light is probable cause to stop your vehicle and you are required to provide your "papers", which is simply your driver's license in Arizona. Sure you could refuse, but instead of a ticket you go to jail.

The so called "unconstitutional" part of the bill was not the ID provision, which in fact exists in dozens of states across the US, but rather, the ability to build "probable cause" based solely on assuming someone is in the country illegally.

Of course, why I waste my breath with legal talk on a bunch of political blowhards is beyond me.
Everyone pretty much knows that "show me your papers" in relation to Arizona means proof of citizenship. You can be carted off to jail for not providing proof of license to operate a vehicle, but you cannot be arrested for failure to provide proof of citizenship, that is unconstitutional, which AZ can no longer do, thanks to a federal judge.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Everyone pretty much knows that "show me your papers" in relation to Arizona means proof of citizenship. You can be carted off to jail for not providing proof of license to operate a vehicle, but you cannot be arrested for failure to provide proof of citizenship, that is unconstitutional, which AZ can no longer do, thanks to a federal judge.
Once again, all 50 states require proof of legal residency or citizenship in order to obtain a driver's license or state ID. They are not going to put an address in a foreign country or an address in say California on the DL/ID for Arizona as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration