Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM

166 posts, read 246,750 times

Advertisements

I've been calling/faxing/emailing . I'l be glued to the tv this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,725 times
Let's hope this keeps getting smaller.

Democrats Likely Lose Another Key GOP Vote on DADT | Foxnews.com

Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Another update:

The Senate is scheduled to vote on "cloture" for the Defense bill at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. Sixty votes are required to open floor debate on the bill. Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), who chairs the Senate Armed Forces Committee, said a vote on an amendment that adds the DREAM Act to the Defense bill will be the first vote taken "if cloture" passes.

Here you can watch it live on C-Span 2.

http://www.c-span.org/Watch/C-SPAN2.aspx

Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM

166 posts, read 246,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Another update:

The Senate is scheduled to vote on "cloture" for the Defense bill at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. Sixty votes are required to open floor debate on the bill. Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), who chairs the Senate Armed Forces Committee, said a vote on an amendment that adds the DREAM Act to the Defense bill will be the first vote taken "if cloture" passes.

Here you can watch it live on C-Span 2.

C-SPAN2 Live Stream - C-SPAN
I'm watching it now.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
I'm watching it now.
I'm watching it on C-SPAN. Dick Durbin makes me sick.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I'm watching it on C-SPAN. Dick Durbin makes me sick.
Ha, I was thinking the same thing as I listened to him speak. More emotional pleas. They act like every "Dreamer" (as they call them) are all so patriotic for this great country. No, they aren't all that way and those that aren't, who are just trying to take advantage of the country are going to get a good deal out of the Dream Act. I'm sorry, but these young people are just going to have to individually fight there case. There can't be a blanket amnesty for them. These Senators can't act like every beneficiary of the Dream Act are some G.I. Joes who were inspired by 9/11 (like Durbin says).

Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Something to consider before casting a vote for the DREAM Act (Rep. Brian Bilbray) - The Hill's Congress Blog

Quote:
This talk of amnesty is not only an insult to every American who has come to the United States legally and the millions who wait patiently while playing by the rules, but is in part what makes it possible for the cartels to murder those 72 innocent migrant workers.
Spot on.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Did she just say that undocumented immigrants who would benefit from the Dream Act can't go to college "because they are immigrants?" What the heck? Didn't Senator Durbin just talk about "Ceasar Vargas" who went to college even though he was undocumented? They are really trying to make people feel for these guys.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Now we get to watch Barbara Boxer. I wonder if Carly Fiorina can get her out of office.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Ha, I was thinking the same thing as I listened to him speak. More emotional pleas. They act like every "Dreamer" (as they call them) are all so patriotic for this great country. No, they aren't all that way and those that aren't, who are just trying to take advantage of the country are going to get a good deal out of the Dream Act. I'm sorry, but these young people are just going to have to individually fight there case. There can't be a blanket amnesty for them. These Senators can't act like every beneficiary of the Dream Act are some G.I. Joes who were inspired by 9/11 (like Durbin says).
The entire bill is a farce. Few DREAMies even want to join the military. Furthermore, they never mention the fact that it covers much more than college students or military recruits. They conveniently fail to mention the fact that children enrolled in primary and secondary schools would also benefit from the DREAM Act. They lie and proclaim illegals must earn a high school diploma, when they know damn well that is not a requirement.

Essentially, every illegal in this country between the ages of 12 and 35 who could produce documents to prove they entered this country prior to the age of 16 would be legalized. Fraud would be rampant, and parents would break their necks entering this country illegally with their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration