Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,309,065 times

Advertisements

What are some reasons that cause those who dismiss illegal immigration as not being an issue to not care?

I hear/see a lot of passive responses to the issue of illegal immigration and sometimes it just leaves you amazed at how much some people couldn't care less about illegal immigration and illegal residency. You know, there will be some incident that happens involving an undocumented person and one of your friends, stranger, colleague or a family member will say something along the lines of, "Oh, they just want to work," "they aren't taking anything," or "Why do people care?" Or there is that climate across the country that brings illegal immigration to the front and you have the sides: those who are concerned and those who aren't.

It is frustrating sometimes to see or hear someone just write illegal immigration off as if it is not a serious issue or as if it won't cause our country issues down the road. At the same time, I don't have a problem with people who simply don't care because of their approach to life and humanity. However, I am somewhat of a hippy myself, but even I see the issues with illegal immigration and it bothers me to think of the injustices and violations towards legal US residents and/or citizens that are going on now or are brewing for the future.

I think the new campaign should be reminding people (legal residents of the US) of why they might want to actually not just ignore illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,241,884 times
I care because it effects my way of life, but more than that, I care because of my grandkids. I forsee a horrible future for them if nothings done, thats why I cringe when someone defends these lawbreakers. I try & try to see they're side... I just cant. Not one single issue or defense of just letting the illegals stay, makes a lick of sense to me. I have such admiration for our legal immigrants. How many of us would/could work so hard to become a citizen? They bring a new meaning to being strong & noble. So thats another reason I cant imagine wanting to give a criminal a free pass. What a slap in the face to those who work so hard. I'd be crushed if I saw the people who cheated, be put at the head of the line in front of me. I wonder how many great & needed immigrants have given up, after seeing how the illegals win everything for nothing.

And why dont the defenders mind that our children are being forced to learn a language not their own? why dont they mind that our children are being left to twiddle their thumbs, while the teachers help the spanish only children? Then they complain American kids dont want to learn, or dont want to get ahead. Well, maybe its because they have been pushed aside for so long, they feel its futile to try and get any help. And I have a teacher in my family guilty of this. He feels so sorry for the illegal kids, he admits the english speaking kids dont get the time & help they deserve. He doesnt mean to do this, but he's so overwhelmed he feels he has no choice. Imo, we're making another country's future greater, at the expense of our own. We have become so P.C. that we no longer care for our own, thats very sad to me. I dont want my grands to be a minority...P.C. or not, thats what I fear. It seemed we had a decent balance, now it feels like we're being taken over AND we get to pay for it. Our kids cant afford to go to college, but our taxes pay for illegals to go for nothing. Then when they finish, they'll most likely become citizens. How is this fair????? I have come to the conclusion that,... We Are Our Own Worst Enemies....

Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,656,041 times
They do not see what illegal aliens have done, and will, do to this country.

So we have a few people who aren't citizens. Big deal, they say, they're just people from a different country.

I also think it is the classic venue, it's not happening in my backyard, so it shouldn't be an issue to anyone.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:35 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
The reasons some people don't care boil down to just a few things.
1. They don't impact the person directly.
2. They take advantage of illegal labor.
3. They know someone or have a family member who is an illegal.
Boil it down further it is all about only caring about yourself.
Sort of like folks who watch a crime then pretend its not their problem.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
What are some reasons that cause those who dismiss illegal immigration as not being an issue to not care?

I hear/see a lot of passive responses to the issue of illegal immigration and sometimes it just leaves you amazed at how much some people couldn't care less about illegal immigration and illegal residency. You know, there will be some incident that happens involving an undocumented person and one of your friends, stranger, colleague or a family member will say something along the lines of, "Oh, they just want to work," "they aren't taking anything," or "Why do people care?" Or there is that climate across the country that brings illegal immigration to the front and you have the sides: those who are concerned and those who aren't.

It is frustrating sometimes to see or hear someone just write illegal immigration off as if it is not a serious issue or as if it won't cause our country issues down the road. At the same time, I don't have a problem with people who simply don't care because of their approach to life and humanity. However, I am somewhat of a hippy myself, but even I see the issues with illegal immigration and it bothers me to think of the injustices and violations towards legal US residents and/or citizens that are going on now or are brewing for the future.

I think the new campaign should be reminding people (legal residents of the US) of why they might want to actually not just ignore illegal immigration.
It simply amazes me also that so many Americans haven't bothered to inform themselves on the negative impact of illegal immigration to themselves and to this nation. They have been so brainwashed into the PC world and sensitive to unwarrented charges of racism and xenophobia that they just hang their heads and adhere themselves to misplaced compassion. They had better wake up and join the fight to save this nation before it is too late.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Most don't care because they ignore the endless data and real life experiences of those that are affected by them.

We don't have a border fence, Border Patrol, ICE and other organizations because Illegals are a plus for our Society. I mean, come on man. It's not that hard to figure out.

We have immunizations for the same reason, it's not just because it's fun to stick needles into yourself.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Thanks for your responses. I think that the public's lack of attention towards illegal immigration and/or that "just-don't-care attitude" is a big part of why we have the illegal immigration problem. People really don't start caring until something affects them or until they are made aware of how something is affecting them. When people start caring about something and having frustration over things, that is when the people (citizens and residents of the US) start demanding intervention and change from their government. So, in order to get more people demanding change, more people need to be made aware of what illegal immigration is actually doing.

Maybe there could be something of an Illegal Immigration Awareness group that will inform people of just how illegal immigration really is affecting them. Just to say, "Hey, this is what we've discovered. This is what spending went towards this. This is who was forced to move out of their neighborhood because the family of 10 undocumented people just moved in." You present this (things that they never knew) and you wonder if they would still not care. Or even if they don't care for themselves, would they then stand up for those who are being discriminated against (their fellow US citizens and/or residents) in the same way that they stand up for the illegal immigrants? You wonder if they would be able to keep that no-care attitude up once they are face-to-face with facts.

I thought of all of this because I had an interesting conversation with my family in which I expressed the ways in which undocumented residents are taking what is the right of legal residents away from those legal residents. Someone in my family said, "They're not taking anything away from us." I realized then that we had a problem with those from all different backgrounds being under the impression that everything is all good and well with illegal immigration. It kinda bothered me that someone in my immediate family actually was living in this bubble in which illegal immigrants are taking nothing from us. Being a Black American, it made it even worse because it is even more true for black people that illegal immigrants are taking or forcing the people to share with them the things that come along with being a citizen or legal resident of this country. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, from an elder, someone who grew up in the times when black people couldn't even vote, but today, an illegal immigrant can vote by lying. Or when young black people can't work through high school or during the summer at the local restaurant because illegal immigrants have taken the job. So, I found that shocking.

To add: it seems that they want to stand up for, defend or just let alone undocumented immigrants. You wonder why. What is this draw into wanting to defend illegal immigrants? Knowing of the discriminations and injustices towards fellow citizens and residents, does it really make any sense to go against them and defend illegal immigrants? What makes that so easy to do? What is the lure? Does it make them feel good to defend someone? Does it make them feel humanitarian? That would be all good if there wasn't an opposite side to this debate, the side that is suffering the consequences of illegal immigration and defending illegal immigrants. Is it much easier to just throw illegal immigration to the side? To say, "Ahhhh, I don't want to talk about it." Yet, if everyone keeps doing that, the problems continue, the overpopulation will commence, the murders, the gang growth, the poverty, the public assistance commences.

And when you tell them of these truths, they have nothing to say, they are speechless. What goes through their mind as they sit there speechless? Are they saying to themselves, "Well that is kinda wrong, but what can I do?" Are they saying, "I don't want to talk about this." What are they thinking when they sit there after you have informed them of what is really happening?

Last edited by SoEdible; 09-17-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It simply amazes me also that so many Americans haven't bothered to inform themselves on the negative impact of illegal immigration to themselves and to this nation. They have been so brainwashed into the PC world and sensitive to unwarrented charges of racism and xenophobia that they just hang their heads and adhere themselves to misplaced compassion. They had better wake up and join the fight to save this nation before it is too late.
Yea, I kinda gave up on caring about PC a long time ago and when someone brings up racism, I have to laugh.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The reasons some people don't care boil down to just a few things.
1. They don't impact the person directly.
2. They take advantage of illegal labor.
3. They know someone or have a family member who is an illegal.
Boil it down further it is all about only caring about yourself.
Sort of like folks who watch a crime then pretend its not their problem.
That's a good one: the taking advantage of illegal labor. I guess it can be compared to slavery in the US. There were people who knew in their heart that slavery was wrong, but they were benefiting from it. You think they wanted to free their slaves and join the good fight against slavery? They wanted to, but a lot of them didn't. They just kept on working them, it was OK 'cause it was benefitting them or they were the type that thought The Holy Bible said it was OK. When employers of undocumented workers are benefitting from illegal immigration and get to know the workers, it all becomes OK to do even though it is negatively effecting millions.

All three of those that you posted are reasons that I see.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
They do not see what illegal aliens have done, and will, do to this country.

So we have a few people who aren't citizens. Big deal, they say, they're just people from a different country.

I also think it is the classic venue, it's not happening in my backyard, so it shouldn't be an issue to anyone.
Yea, they don't realize or know of the pattern in which illegal immigration spreads. Basically, it is a "coming to a theatre near you" method. That's how illegal immigration has been working. The people that aren't noticing or seeing it in their city or town are potentially the next destination for about 10,000 or so over a 2 - 5 year span. Big changes will happen in those places that the residents won't be to happy with, from infrastructure, education, traffic, social issues, possibly criminal elements added. That's natural when a population icreases, but it shouldn't be the result of illegal immigration and having it forced on you because your government is doing little or nothing to protect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration