Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says illegal immigrants do essential work in the U.S. and that he has firsthand knowledge of that — because they fix his house.

A moderate Republican, Powell urged his party on Sunday to support immigration generally because those who come from abroad are, in his words, "what's keeping this country's lifeblood moving forward."

Powell says illegal immigrants do his home repairs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100919/ap_on_bi_ge/us_powell_illegal_immigrants - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
The "strong" Orange County, CA Republicans do the same thing, I witnessed it first hand.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:01 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Powell is an idiot. I lost all respect for him ever since he jumped over himself to support Obama just because he is a fellow Black man. In his view, his own kind come before the good of the nation.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Powell is an idiot. I lost all respect for him ever since he jumped over himself to support Obama just because he is a fellow Black man. In his view, his own kind come before the good of the nation.
I agree. The fact that someone like Powell would even admit such a thing and then act like there is nothing wrong with it makes me sick. Pretty bad when those in our government don't even follow our laws.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:14 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says illegal immigrants do essential work in the U.S. and that he has firsthand knowledge of that — because they fix his house.

A moderate Republican, Powell urged his party on Sunday to support immigration generally because those who come from abroad are, in his words, "what's keeping this country's lifeblood moving forward."

Powell says illegal immigrants do his home repairs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100919/ap_on_bi_ge/us_powell_illegal_immigrants - broken link)
Pathetic! I think it's time for a new political party! I've been leaning towards Libertarian lately and it's starting to look better each and every time I read stories like this!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Maybe the Mods would combine these threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ts-do-his.html

Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
A few years back a friend of ours who worked in the poultry business was prosecuted and taken to trial for hiring illegal immigrants. He was found innocent because he had no knowledge that the people were illegal, but if he had been found guilty he faced years in prison. Are you telling us that this man admitted to breaking the law? When will this corruption stop in our government? Don't our laws mean anything anymore?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Agreed.

I used to think that Powell might be a good man for the job of POTUS. Now I just think he's a slime bag like the rest of 'em.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times
:c rying:

Old 09-19-2010, 05:23 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Man, this is sad. What the heck is wrong with these people? Once again, this is an example of how people who benefit from illegal immigration end up supporting illegal immigration. And what's this about illegal immigrants doing essential work here and how that excuses them? Since when did legal residents not want to go and fix up someone's home if they are skilled in it and if that's what they choose to do? Once again, they act like these are jobs that legal residents look down on. I am 27, I grew up taking things apart and putting them back together, I love doing home improvements, yard work, stuff like that. It's not that we don't want to do these jobs, it's because so many undocumented workers are doing the job and those industries and the public have forced this feeling on us that these are jobs just for illegal immigrants. They are the "lifeblood" of the country? WTF Colin? What does that say about non-illegal immigrants? Once again, they are lifting up illegal immigrants and making legal residents second-class citizens.

Just like you all, I always admired Mr. Powell, I still do, but damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration