Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,481 times

Advertisements

Birthright citizenship: It no longer makes sense - latimes.com
This issue should be at the forefront of any discussion on Illegal Immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Birthright citizenship: It no longer makes sense - latimes.com
This issue should be at the forefront of any discussion on Illegal Immigration.
The Pew Hispanic Center issued a report in August indicating that one out of every 13 babies born in the United States in 2008 — about 340,000 out of a total of 4.3 million — had at least one parent who was an illegal immigrant.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,481 times
The Democrats will stop nothing short of total Amnesty , here's LA's Mayor trying to push the Dream Act again Villaraigosa calls on Congress to pass Dream Act as way for thousands to shed illegal immigrant status | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
They even want to reward those not even born here so the rest of America can pay for these people also.

You would think that 18+ years of welfare,wic,section 8 and a tax payer funded education would be enough fotr these ingrates ,but no they want it all.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:16 PM

107 posts, read 151,418 times
I'm not for amnesty....I'm for taking care of our own citizens, and babies born from bonafide United States Legal Residents, or legal immigrants.

I just don't get it, how are we supposed to be in debt and yet no one sees a problem with taking on a whole other huge population that aren't even here legally? Financially it's not even a remotely viable option. Most illegal immigrants are either earning a very low wage or their earning it under the table.

Either way it's no where near enough to offset the costs of their living here. Housing, wic, food stamps, medical, school lunches, school, HUD,....need I go on.

Yet, when I ask supporters of amnesty if their willing to pay for all this all I hear is crickets. The money comes from somewhere surely even a second grader could figure that out. So frustrating.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM

166 posts, read 246,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrendipity View Post
I'm not for amnesty....I'm for taking care of our own citizens, and babies born from bonafide United States Legal Residents, or legal immigrants.

I just don't get it, how are we supposed to be in debt and yet no one sees a problem with taking on a whole other huge population that aren't even here legally? Financially it's not even a remotely viable option. Most illegal immigrants are either earning a very low wage or their earning it under the table.

Either way it's no where near enough to offset the costs of their living here. Housing, wic, food stamps, medical, school lunches, school, HUD,....need I go on.

Yet, when I ask supporters of amnesty if their willing to pay for all this all I hear is crickets. The money comes from somewhere surely even a second grader could figure that out. So frustrating.
What the pro-amnesty crowd seems to not realize is that if the government gives ANYONE anything, they first have to take it away.
There's no magic fountain of 'government' money.it's coming from the very people they are disrespecting.
Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you. And since it's OUR money I think we're totally entitled to our opinions as to where it's spent.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
The Pew Hispanic Center issued a report in August indicating that one out of every 13 babies born in the United States in 2008 — about 340,000 out of a total of 4.3 million — had at least one parent who was an illegal immigrant.
That's pretty startling. For every thirteen babies born, one is born to an undocumented immigrant. And that was just in 2008. That's a serious issue.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times
Birthright citizenship has got to end . Is it really going to ? No hispanic population has alot of political muscle ,they will never allow it to pass.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post
Birthright citizenship has got to end . Is it really going to ? No hispanic population has alot of political muscle ,they will never allow it to pass.
Hispanics only comprise about 40-45 million in our country with a good portion of them being here illegally so they can't vote and the remaining ones who are citizens don't vote that much. Compare that number to 260 million non-hispanics in this country. It is our PC government and the bleeding heart politicians that will put up a stumbling block to changing birthright citizenship. We need to throw the bums out of office and replace them with real Americans.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Hispanics only comprise about 40-45 million in our country with a good portion of them being here illegally so they can't vote and the remaining ones who are citizens don't vote that much. Compare that number to 260 million non-hispanics in this country. It is our PC government and the bleeding heart politicians that will put up a stumbling block to changing birthright citizenship. We need to throw the bums out of office and replace them with real Americans.
I dont think it's up to the Hispanic population, legal or otherwise, wether The 14th amendment is amended. Its up to 3/5 the members of both houses of Congress and 3/4 (30) state's legislatures to decide on the affirmative to amend that Right.

Anyone that believes that "Birthright Citizenship" will be changed with simple Congressional legislation is fooling themselves.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I dont think it's up to the Hispanic population, legal or otherwise, wether The 14th amendment is amended. Its up to 3/5 the members of both houses of Congress and 3/4 (30) state's legislatures to decide on the affirmative to amend that Right.

Anyone that believes that "Birthright Citizenship" will be changed with simple Congressional legislation is fooling themselves.
Uh, that's what I was saying. The Hispanic populaton doesn't have enough clout to stop changes from occuring. All that needs to be done with the 14th is to go back over what the writers of the birthright citizenship clause said at the time and meant and it will be a done deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration