Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Argument #1. We need more visas for farmworkers and to legalize those holding those jobs illegally. Our produce prices would increase a lot without them.

We already have unlimited H-2A visas for agricultural workers but the farmers want the cheap illegal labor instead to line their pockets with more profit. So more visas won't solve a damned thing. As for our produce becoming too expensive without them, that is pure hogwash and if that were true then why are they pushing for more visas to legalize them? The farmers want the "illegal" labor not the ones with visas. The farmers will only charge for their products what the market will bear.

Argument #2. It is only whites who are employing illegal aliens.

That is completely false. Whites are not the only business owners in this country. I doubt that it is anglo whites running those Mexican, Asian and other ethnic restaurants and businesses.

Argument #3. The anti-illegals always assume that someone is illegal based on their mode of dress, skin color and langauge usage.

Wrong! Most of us do not.

Argument #4. Hispanic is a race and all Mexicans are brown.

No it isn't, it is a culture. Mexicans are not the only ones of that culture either. Mexican is a nationality. Mexicans can be very light skinned from their Spanish ancestors or very dark skinned from their native indian ancestors. They aren't a one skin tone fits all.

Argument #5. All white people are guilty of the past regardless of whether or not their ancestors came here well after any native indian conflicts.

Wrong! My ancestors for one came here back in the 1920's. They had no conflicts with the natives and even if they had, I am not responsible for my ancestor's actions. There is more than one version of history as to how the natives came in contact with small pox and other deseases. Those with a chip on their shoulder about the past of course will believe the version that fits their agenda. Doesn't matter anyway. It has nothing to do with those of us alive today. What does any of this have to do with illegal immigration today anyway? Mexicans who are here in the largest numbers illegally didn't have ancestors indigenous to the U.S. anyway. So what are they crying about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 05:32 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
You left out : Illegals are honest hard working people who only take jobs legals wont do.
Wrong. Illegals through low balling wages have displaced legals who were doing the jobs.
example: Construction

Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You left out : Illegals are honest hard working people who only take jobs legals wont do.
Wrong. Illegals through low balling wages have displaced legals who were doing the jobs.
example: Construction
Thanks, tinman. Anyone else feel free to add to the lame argument list of the pro-illegals in here.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Anyone else feel free to add to the lame argument list of the pro-illegals in here.
Immigration reform is the new word for Amnesty

Sanctuary cities are not held accountable to enforce
the laws of the United states of America

Old 10-24-2010, 10:10 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
My personal favorite -- only right-wing racists, nativists, xenophobes, and haters oppose illegal immigration.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:53 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
My personal favorite -- only right-wing racists, nativists, xenophobes, and haters oppose illegal immigration.
Not possible. Because I am the furthest from a RWNJ extremist you just described, and I oppose illegal immigration.

However, using inflammatory language, inciting anger and using pointless rhetoric is useless and leads to nothing but violence. Instead of whining and sniveling, post a realistic solution instead of completely twisting words and inventing false argument as in the OP.

Again, since the idea seems to have slipped most of you folks by, there is no easy solution to this issue. Large corporations seek and employ cheap labor. Is that untrue?

You'd give credence to your alleged outrage if it were directed at the people who are in control to stop it. That means a concentrated anti-illegal immigration effort directed at employers. Are takers? I doubt it, if the cost of all of this means a pinch in your pocketbook.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Looks like you forgot to add - Hate the enablers not the poor innocent illegals.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Argument #1. We need more visas for farmworkers and to legalize those holding those jobs illegally. Our produce prices would increase a lot without them.

We already have unlimited H-2A visas for agricultural workers but the farmers want the cheap illegal labor instead to line their pockets with more profit. So more visas won't solve a damned thing. As for our produce becoming too expensive without them, that is pure hogwash and if that were true then why are they pushing for more visas to legalize them? The farmers want the "illegal" labor not the ones with visas. The farmers will only charge for their products what the market will bear.

Argument #2. It is only whites who are employing illegal aliens.

That is completely false. Whites are not the only business owners in this country. I doubt that it is anglo whites running those Mexican, Asian and other ethnic restaurants and businesses.

Argument #3. The anti-illegals always assume that someone is illegal based on their mode of dress, skin color and langauge usage.

Wrong! Most of us do not.

Argument #4. Hispanic is a race and all Mexicans are brown.

No it isn't, it is a culture. Mexicans are not the only ones of that culture either. Mexican is a nationality. Mexicans can be very light skinned from their Spanish ancestors or very dark skinned from their native indian ancestors. They aren't a one skin tone fits all.

Argument #5. All white people are guilty of the past regardless of whether or not their ancestors came here well after any native indian conflicts.

Wrong! My ancestors for one came here back in the 1920's. They had no conflicts with the natives and even if they had, I am not responsible for my ancestor's actions. There is more than one version of history as to how the natives came in contact with small pox and other deseases. Those with a chip on their shoulder about the past of course will believe the version that fits their agenda. Doesn't matter anyway. It has nothing to do with those of us alive today. What does any of this have to do with illegal immigration today anyway? Mexicans who are here in the largest numbers illegally didn't have ancestors indigenous to the U.S. anyway. So what are they crying about?
I would point out these are simply right wing talking points used to denigrate those who support a complete solution - which likely involves some form of amnesty.

So let us see a pro illegal source for your talking points. Ought to be a piece of cake.

I know of only one pro-illegal argument. There are too many to throw out and they are embedded in an American fifth column that makes it virtually impossible. And until that is fixed it will continue to be impossible to hold the border.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Not possible. Because I am the furthest from a RWNJ extremist you just described, and I oppose illegal immigration.

However, using inflammatory language, inciting anger and using pointless rhetoric is useless and leads to nothing but violence. Instead of whining and sniveling, post a realistic solution instead of completely twisting words and inventing false argument as in the OP.

Again, since the idea seems to have slipped most of you folks by, there is no easy solution to this issue. Large corporations seek and employ cheap labor. Is that untrue?

You'd give credence to your alleged outrage if it were directed at the people who are in control to stop it. That means a concentrated anti-illegal immigration effort directed at employers. Are takers? I doubt it, if the cost of all of this means a pinch in your pocketbook.
Really? Please point out which of the arguments that the pro-illegals don't use that I posted. Nothing I posted was inflamatory or inciting violence. They were the words that we hear from the pro-illegals lips constantly.

We've posted the solutions in here over and over. Just because you may not like them doesn't mean they weren't offered up in here.

Try to keep up. All of us anti-illegals in here have also blamed the employers and want them to be held accountable for their hiring practices. Are you practicing selective reading?

No, our pocketbooks would have a lot more money in them without the presence of millions of illegals in our country. You have it backwards.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Really? Please point out which of the arguments that the pro-illegals don't use that I posted. Nothing I posted was inflamatory or inciting violence. They were the words that we hear from the pro-illegals lips constantly.

No, our pocketbooks would have a lot more money in them without the presence of millions of illegals in our country. You have it backwards.
Source? I would think if you are a non high school graduate you might have a complaint. Other that I doubt it.

I would however be glad to read a credible source that shows a substantial impact from the illegals. I believe everything I have read indicates small impact either positive or negative. Even the antis always throw in the education of the illegals legal children...because that is the biggest sum they can find and they don't care that it is irrevelevant...it looks good in the rack up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration