U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2010, 04:37 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,431 posts, read 17,740,974 times
Reputation: 5224

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
That's "Fox News Latino" , so don't expect the truth about illegals to come out.
It's still "FOX".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2010, 04:51 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,148 posts, read 23,680,661 times
Reputation: 23390
The question that kept going through my mind while reading the thread is, "How do they hope to get anything done in 2012 when they should not be able to vote since they are undocumented?" What am I missing here? Whole thing sounds crazy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 05:05 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 35,663,192 times
Reputation: 2661
I believe in December Gallup found that 54% of the US population supports the Dream Act. And Rasmussen found 52% supported its goals in September.

So the illegal kids can win if the can get past the blocks the Repubs create. It is a nice issue for the demos...they get another couple of percent of the vote that would otherwise have tended to go Repub.

The kids will win in the end. Make take a while though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 05:13 PM
 
3,948 posts, read 4,005,669 times
Reputation: 1275
Why do groups such as illegal immigrants talk about what THEY are going to do as if us LEGAL residents and citizens are just going to sit around and be OK with them trying to demand what we already have: rights, citizenship and access to the things that come with being legal in this country? It's all find and dandy that they feel that they have so much to fight for, but don't they realize that what they are trying to gain will eventually take from us? It just seems very backwards and almost laughable that ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, people who basically have very few rights here (no matter how different they'd like to think) are threatening the very government that is supposed to be protecting us from people such as illegal immigrants who wish to gain that which is ours. They have some grace period right now while people sit around and let them talk (unfortunately), but they are going to keep this up and more people are going to be annoyed by their demands that are asking for too much.

They have no basis for their "fight." They are at the mercy of our government and the legal residents acceptance of the fact that they are here only because their parents lied and barged their way through our immigration process. It is that blunt, they are in NO position to make demands, yet, they act like they are. So confused they are (Yoda voice), lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 05:22 PM
 
3,948 posts, read 4,005,669 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I believe in December Gallup found that 54% of the US population supports the Dream Act. And Rasmussen found 52% supported its goals in September.

So the illegal kids can win if the can get past the blocks the Repubs create. It is a nice issue for the demos...they get another couple of percent of the vote that would otherwise have tended to go Repub.

The kids will win in the end. Make take a while though.
About those polls and surveys, I wonder if people know what they are really voting on in them? Like, the way they ask the questions on those surveys is very general and blanketed. However, if those very same people that were asked read The Dream Act proposal and knew the background of it, would they vote the same? I don't think so, it would make the poll show that more people are less supportive of what it really is and will mean for the future instead of a simple question of: "Do you think illegal immigrant youth should be put on a 'path' to citizenship if they serve in the military?" That is the question that I mostly see in those polls. The educational aspect of the bill is downplayed, it's the military aspect of it that is emphasized. People are very emotional when they hear military, understandably and rightfully so. They visualize people fighting on the front lines and explosions. They see the Army and Marine commercials, young men and women disciplined and ready to go to war, so they say, "Yeah! If they are going to go through that, sure!" But, do those polls mention that it is for only two years or do the polls mention the possible ramifications down the road of giving potential legal status to hundreds of thousands of people? Do the polls mention how the bill could make fraud more possible and all the loops that could happen?

That's why I don't understand how we as registered voters and citizens allow our politics to be influenced by polls or surveys that are not very thorough and don't represent the complete truth of a bill. Even the President says in his words after the Senate rejected the bill that "even though most Americans agree with this bill, the Senate did not vote for common sense." I thought, "Really Mr. President? Is this bill what the American people really answered 'Yes' in agreement with? Or did they answer some general question and you are now making it look like they completely agree with The Dream Act?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 06:20 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 35,663,192 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
About those polls and surveys, I wonder if people know what they are really voting on in them? Like, the way they ask the questions on those surveys is very general and blanketed. However, if those very same people that were asked read The Dream Act proposal and knew the background of it, would they vote the same? I don't think so, it would make the poll show that more people are less supportive of what it really is and will mean for the future instead of a simple question of: "Do you think illegal immigrant youth should be put on a 'path' to citizenship if they serve in the military?" That is the question that I mostly see in those polls. The educational aspect of the bill is downplayed, it's the military aspect of it that is emphasized. People are very emotional when they hear military, understandably and rightfully so. They visualize people fighting on the front lines and explosions. They see the Army and Marine commercials, young men and women disciplined and ready to go to war, so they say, "Yeah! If they are going to go through that, sure!" But, do those polls mention that it is for only two years or do the polls mention the possible ramifications down the road of giving potential legal status to hundreds of thousands of people? Do the polls mention how the bill could make fraud more possible and all the loops that could happen?

That's why I don't understand how we as registered voters and citizens allow our politics to be influenced by polls or surveys that are not very thorough and don't represent the complete truth of a bill. Even the President says in his words after the Senate rejected the bill that "even though most Americans agree with this bill, the Senate did not vote for common sense." I thought, "Really Mr. President? Is this bill what the American people really answered 'Yes' in agreement with? Or did they answer some general question and you are now making it look like they completely agree with The Dream Act?"
Look it up...The question is fairly asked. And it features both military and college.

Why should we citizens be pleased that a minority Republican group can prevent our desires from becoming law?

This stuff works both ways...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 06:48 PM
 
3,948 posts, read 4,005,669 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Look it up...The question is fairly asked. And it features both military and college.

Why should we citizens be pleased that a minority Republican group can prevent our desires from becoming law?

This stuff works both ways...
Look what up? I've seen the polls, it is exactly like I said, they don't explain everything about The Dream Act so it is not a fair representation of how "Americans" feel.

It's not "our" desires when the polls are not representing the truth.

That's not going to work, I'm sorry, it is a MANIPULATIVE tactic (by both sides) to present a poll and act as if it is the end-all-be-all of a discussion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,301 posts, read 20,820,776 times
Reputation: 6534
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Look it up...The question is fairly asked. And it features both military and college.

Why should we citizens be pleased that a minority Republican group can prevent our desires from becoming law?

This stuff works both ways...
Is it though? Does the question also explain how we expect so much more of the children of legal immigrants to attend college in the USA?
Does the question explain that for every job an illegal takes its one less for legal citizens?
Does the question explain that the illegal doesn't have to graduate?
Does it even begin to explain that this bill gives a free pass to illegals who have committed such crimes as ID theft and tax evasion? ( Just to name a few crimes.
So no I don't believe that it was fairly asked. It was sugar coated.
Should the citizens have been pleased when the majority congress forced obama care upon a nation when at the time 57% of us were against it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 06:59 PM
 
3,948 posts, read 4,005,669 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Is it though? Does the question also explain how we expect so much more of the children of legal immigrants to attend college in the USA?
Does the question explain that for every job an illegal takes its one less for legal citizens?
Does the question explain that the illegal doesn't have to graduate?
Does it even begin to explain that this bill gives a free pass to illegals who have committed such crimes as ID theft and tax evasion? ( Just to name a few crimes.
So no I don't believe that it was fairly asked. It was sugar coated.
Should the citizens have been pleased when the majority congress forced obama care upon a nation when at the time 57% of us were against it?
Thank you.

And that's why I say these polls and surveys don't mean a damn thing with an issue as serious as this. When you think about what you and I just said, the first thing that comes to my mind is, "It's just a poll ..." which means why are we using polls to justify The Dream Act? It almost seems very amateur and petty to even consider such a poll and to hear the President refer to it in his post-vote statement about The Dream Act.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Reality
9,949 posts, read 8,261,984 times
Reputation: 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I believe in December Gallup found that 54% of the US population supports the Dream Act. And Rasmussen found 52% supported its goals in September.

So the illegal kids can win if the can get past the blocks the Repubs create. It is a nice issue for the demos...they get another couple of percent of the vote that would otherwise have tended to go Repub.

The kids will win in the end. Make take a while though.
Links to these polls?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top