U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:12 PM

15,170 posts, read 17,218,095 times

Advertisements

They simply can’t resist playing the race card.

Quote:
On Friday’s Inside Washington on PBS, during a discussion of President Obama’s failure to secure passage of the Dream Act in the Senate, after panel member Evan Thomas of Newsweek asserted that "stupid politics" was behind the bill’s defeat, host Gordon Peterson brought up a quip by humorist Jimmy Tingle that "if they all looked like Norwegians, there’d be no problem."
PBS
Rate this post positively

Old 12-26-2010, 05:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 12,137,752 times
Because after all it's OUR fault 70% of illegal aliens in this country are from Mexico - yeah right, whatevah

Old 12-26-2010, 05:20 PM
NCN

21,148 posts, read 23,657,526 times
Do you think it is in the DNA of the Norwegians to invade a country and expect a free ride? Our nation has a way to enter as a legal alien. Go through the process as any person wanting to be a citizen does and nobody has a problem with it. Stop the whinning and do things in a legal way. If you are here in an illegal way--LEAVE.

It is well past time this country stopped catering to these criminals and started protecting legal citizens. Write your representative a hard copy letter and tell them this. Turn Washington into a big piece of paper. Nothing else is getting the message across.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,001,770 times
It's nice to know that people view something as serious as illegal immigration and the failure of The Dream Act to just be "stupid politics." I swear it seems that people don't understand or care to know about the seriousness of our illegal immigration population and the future it brings or else they wouldn't be so carefree about it.

Oh, if illegal immigrants looked like Norwegians, but were doing everything that today's illegal immigrants were doing then I'm sure people would still have a problem with illegal immigrants. In fact, what is this supposed to mean anyway? Do all illegal immigrants fit one physical stereotype? Hmm? Is the pro-illegal immigrant side once again bringing race into the discussion out of paranoia or accusation? Is there not a Norwegian in the United States that is an illegal immigrant? Therefore confirming that an illegal immigrant does indeed "look" like a Norwegian? What does a Norwegian look like? Is that not stereotypical? Wouldn't we get offended if someone said we look like the typical "American?"

What is going on here?

Besides, that's just silly talk. How could all illegal immigrants look like Norwegians? Besides, it's much harder to swim across the Atlantic to the United States than it is across the Rio Grande.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:54 PM

134 posts, read 112,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They simply can’t resist playing the race card.

PBS
Because it is true. You don't see Arizona hunting down white folks now do you?

You don't see people caring about the white illegals in this country. You don't see people complain about French or Italian translations on products, it is only when things are written in Spanish people then love to vent.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post

You don't see people caring about the white illegals in this country. You don't see people complain about French or Italian translations on products, it is only when things are written in Spanish people then love to vent.
Who has Arizona hunted down? I'm guessing you are insinuating that Arizona has hunted down Mexicans or "brown folks?" People care about those that are making issues for them in the largest way. People care about what they see the most and observe as a large problem. The Mexican and illegal immigrant population grossly outnumbers the Irish, Canadian, Russian, Haitian or Cuban illegal immigrant population. It is natural to talk about WHAT YOU SEE. What is the majority is not the White-Canadian illegal immigrant, but it is the Mexican illegal immigrant or the Guatemalan illegal immigrant.

You can't look for answers for this. To me, it is human reaction to have a problem with nuisances and where I am from, our illegal immigration population just so happens to be causing headaches and they are Mexicans, Guatemalans, etc. and that is the same for many communities across the country. If they were any other "race" the reaction would be the same. People have problems with people all the time because they consider them to be causing problems and issues, it is not always about race. There are hoods right now in which some residents are upset with drug dealing, are the people who fight to get rid of those drug dealers of the same race, racist?

Oh, as for your comment about Spanish language. I think that when people see Spanish in places they are reminded of how companies have tried to capitalize on a Spanish-speaking population that has been fueled by illegal immigration. Also, people do not appreciate the lack of English spoken by illegal immigrants, so to see the further catering and accommodation of Spanish for Spanish-speaking people who speak no English is frustrating. I speak Spanish, but I can understand the frustration one feels when they know that the state or federal government had to hire (spend funding) on personnel to speak Spanish to illegal immigrants that shouldn't even be here.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:04 PM

14,306 posts, read 12,331,370 times
Quote:

That's because most illegals are Mestizo Mexicans not anglo-whites. They are the ones most visible. Az isn't hunting down anyone anyway. Their law enfocement are merely asking "everyone" during a legal stop for their I.D. The only ones that need to worry are those who can't produce one and guess who most of those are? Hint, hint they aren't anglo-whites but mostly illegal Mexicans. Get a grip!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM

20,301 posts, read 20,802,172 times
Quote:

ROFL.
70% of illegals are from south of the border. This is a fact that everyone agrees on. Where should we focus our attention? Sweden?
If your house has a dripping faucet, squeaky door hinges, and a sewer pipe running in the basement, what would you focus on? What would you complain about? What would you be concerned about?
How many Norwegians are here illegally?
But the fact of the matter is nobody is calling for a free pass based on race, country of origin or based on appearance.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Also, if illegal immigrants who are so-called Hispanics wouldn't be so quick to declare their "loyalty" to their "race/raza" then maybe they wouldn't be such a sore thumb sticking out?

Do you question them when they make things racial?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM

15,170 posts, read 17,218,095 times
Quote:

It is a fact that the majority of illegal aliens are Mexican. Naturally, they will receive the lion's share of attention. If most illegals were Asian, do you think ICE would focus on Mexicans?

I am sick of the race card being played to demonize opponents of illegal immigration. It isn’t an issue of race or ethnicity. Illegal aliens, Mexican or otherwise, are here in violation of our laws. That is the ONLY reason I oppose them. I don’t give a damn about the color of their skin. I would welcome them, if they were here legally. But, they aren’t, so I don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.