Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times

Advertisements

Senate panel passes bill to crack down on illegal immigration | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Similar legislation has passed the Senate before, only to die in what used to be a Democrat-controlled House. Republicans -- who have made combating illegal immigration a priority -- now control both the Senate and House, increasing the likelihood that the bill will become law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,839,335 times
SB 590...

Quote:
» State and local police who stop someone for a violation would be required to ask for proof that the person is in the country legally if they have "reasonable suspicion" that the person is not.

why not bypass any question of racial profiling and just ask everyone for proof of citizenship?

what would give LE reasonable suspicion that a person wasnt a citizen/legal resident?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,217,312 times
Good.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,575,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
SB 590...

why not bypass any question of racial profiling and just ask everyone for proof of citizenship?
what would give LE reasonable suspicion that a person wasnt a citizen/legal resident?
For the umpteenth time, they are NOT being asked for proof of citizenship. Rather, proof of legal status in this country. BIG difference. If a person is stopped for a traffic violation and lacks a driver’s license, insurance, registration AND has no ID to prove their identity, or has several forms of ID containing different names, law enforcement should have the right to detain them to ascertain their status. That is not racial profiling.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,656,213 times
Excellent!

Where are the roaches gonna flee to now? Illinois?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,839,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
For the umpteenth time, they are NOT being asked for proof of citizenship. Rather, proof of legal status in this country. BIG difference. If a person is stopped for a traffic violation and lacks a driver’s license, insurance, registration AND has no ID to prove their identity, or has several forms of ID containing different names, law enforcement should have the right to detain them to ascertain their status. That is not racial profiling.
So everyone without driver's license should be detained to acertain status not identity but status, right?

So LE will detain all those with no I.D. for status check?...is that what SB 590 says?

Should LE "have the right" or should everyone be detained for status check automatically?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
So everyone without driver's license should be detained to acertain status not identity but status, right?

So LE will detain all those with no I.D. for status check?...is that what SB 590 says?

Should LE "have the right" or should everyone be detained for status check automatically?
What part of my post did you not comprehend? You stated that “citizenship” was being questioned, and I corrected your erroneous assertion.

All foreign nationals with legal status are required by law to carry their ID AT ALL TIMES. Otherwise, they are in violation of the law. Most states require a driver to have on their person a valid driver’s license, and to be prepared to provide a valid registration and proof of insurance. If a person is driving without a license, registration, and insurance, they are in violation of the law, and should be dealt with accordingly. Bottom line: Obey the law.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
SB 590...

Reasonable suspicion would be the person not having a valid DL or I.D. on them. We have pointed that out over and over in here. It has nothing to do with suspicion based on skin color or ethnicity. No matter who you are if you can produce the two items above you are not asked for citizenship papers. Even when those items can't be produced no one is expected to carry citizenship papers on them. All it means is that lack of the two items above creates enough suspicion to further investigate them. I wish the pro-illegals would get this through their thick skulls once and for all.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Reasonable suspicion would be the person not having a valid DL or I.D. on them. We have pointed that out over and over in here. It has nothing to do with suspicion based on skin color or ethnicity. No matter who you are if you can produce the two items above you are not asked for citizenship papers. Even when those items can't be produced no one is expected to carry citizenship papers on them. All it means is that lack of the two items above creates enough suspicion to further investigate them. I wish the pro-illegals would get this through their thick skulls once and for all.
I was stopped because a cop thought I hit (a suspected) illegal alien. Instead I jammed on the brakes and the guy got across. Anyway, I was coming from the gym and couldn't find my DL I had put in my pants pocket. The officer lectured me about it but since I knew my DL number and gave him my address he called it in. It came back it matched me. On I went.

Now if I gave him a bogus number or name with no address I probably would have been arrested. Not seeing the problem here.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I was stopped because a cop thought I hit (a suspected) illegal alien. Instead I jammed on the brakes and the guy got across. Anyway, I was coming from the gym and couldn't find my DL I had put in my pants pocket. The officer lectured me about it but since I knew my DL number and gave him my address he called it in. It came back it matched me. On I went.

Now if I gave him a bogus number or name with no address I probably would have been arrested. Not seeing the problem here.
Nor do I. Of course pro-illegals must continue to grasp at straws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration