Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times

Advertisements

Hospital's decision to send quadriplegic man back to Mexico angers those in Chicago who cared for him

Quote:
For almost four months, doctors and nurses at Advocate Christ Medical Center cared for the young Mexican laborer who had fallen from a roof and lost the ability to speak, breathe or move most parts of his body.

But Quelino Ojeda Jimenez was in the U.S. illegally, and just before Christmas he was taken from the Oak Lawn hospital, loaded on an air ambulance and flown to Oaxaca, capital of the Mexican state where he was born.
The hospital spent over $700K on his care and transportation back to his home country. Money that will never be recovered and will be passed along to us.

Quote:
Only emergency medical services are guaranteed to these patients, as they are to anyone in a medical crisis; once their condition has stabilized, they have no rights to any other type of treatment. By law, hospitals are required to discharge all patients to "appropriate facilities" where they can receive adequate follow-up care.
Do you agree with the hospital's decision to move this patient back to his home country for the continuation of the rehabilitation phase of his recovery? Why or why not?

In my opinion, I think it's appropriate since he is not a citizen of our country. I think it's a hard luck case, and I feel sorry for him and his family, but it is not the responsibility of the US (or privately owned US hospitals) to continue to foot the bill for his care. In fact, I think we should send Mexico the bill for his $700K+ in free medical care that he received here. It's not right that privately owned businesses (in this case, Advocate Christ Hospital) are forced to foot the bill for his care when our government is doing very little to address the problem of illegal immigrants in our country.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
I agree-I feel bad for the guy that he got injured, but the fact remains that he never should have been here to start with.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Hospital's decision to send quadriplegic man back to Mexico angers those in Chicago who cared for him

The hospital spent over $700K on his care and transportation back to his home country. Money that will never be recovered and will be passed along to us.

Do you agree with the hospital's decision to move this patient back to his home country for the continuation of the rehabilitation phase of his recovery? Why or why not?

In my opinion, I think it's appropriate since he is not a citizen of our country. I think it's a hard luck case, and I feel sorry for him and his family, but it is not the responsibility of the US (or privately owned US hospitals) to continue to foot the bill for his care. In fact, I think we should send Mexico the bill for his $700K+ in free medical care that he received here. It's not right that privately owned businesses (in this case, Advocate Christ Hospital) are forced to foot the bill for his care when our government is doing very little to address the problem of illegal immigrants in our country.

Good country America....IF YOUR NOT AMERICAN!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Quadriplegic Illegal alien shipped back to Mexico against his will after 4 months of (free) care in US

Alright! one less to move. That one most have been fairly easy though.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM

166 posts, read 246,775 times
I think the bill for his care should go to the company that hired him.
I do find it kind of ironic that he came here against our will, but he's complaining that the US sent him back against his will. I just wanna give him a sign that says "sucks, doesn't it?"

Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Course he wouldn't end up being quadriplegic, IF HE DIDN'T COME HERE ILLEGALLY

Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
I think the bill for his care should go to the company that hired him.
I do find it kind of ironic that he came here against our will, but he's complaining that the US sent him back against his will. I just wanna give him a sign that says "sucks, doesn't it?"
I do feel bad for this fellow as another human being in a bad way but....I do agree with the above post. I know I should not have laughed at her sign but...I did.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
If this happened to me I'd want to be near my family too. The only thing wrong with this was the opportunity to deport those other Mexicans here illegally this angered. They were willing to "help" him so long as someone else was paying for it.

"We saved his life and brought him to a stable condition," but when it became clear that Ojeda needed a lifetime of care, it seemed best to return him close to family, she said.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
As per the lady in the other thread, hospitals and doctors are under NO obligation to continue to treat illegal patients outside of the ER and any emergency treatment need to stabilise them.

Coming to an ER as an illegal does NOT entitle you to care for life, so sorry.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Wow. I wonder if anyone in my family could run up a bill like that and not be forced to sell every stick we own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration