Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
YOUR RESPONSE...

That link shows illegal immigrants LIVING in this country over a decade. NOT ENTERING ILLEGALLY. We are discussing Mexicans entering LEGALLY/ILLEGALLY. Your link does not support your statement that MOST Mexicans enter illegally. I will wait for your resource that shows that most Mexicans entering this country do so illegally.

Again, just because this lady is Mexican and the article states she entered the U.S., it does not mean she did so illegally. Per your assumption that every time you hear of someone coming this way from Mexico, they must be illegal.

But I'll wait for your resource or link.
Whether they entered illegally or overstayed visas, the fact is, there are currently more ILLEGAL Mexicans residing in this country than LEGAL. Like it or not, that IS a fact. Furthermore, the visa overstays are no less illegal than the illegal border jumpers.

Quote:
A record 12.7 million Mexican immigrants lived in the United States in 2008, a 17-fold increase since 1970. Mexicans now account for 32% of all immigrants living in this country. The second-largest nationality group of immigrants, Filipinos, accounts for just 5% of all immigrants in the U.S.

More than half (55%) of the Mexican immigrants in this country are unauthorized. Overall, Mexicans comprise about six-in-ten (59%) of the estimated 11.9 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S.

No other country in the world has as many total immigrants from all countries as the United States has immigrants from Mexico alone.
Mexican Immigrants in the United States, 2008 - Pew Research Center

Note the report indicates more “came” or "arrived" illegally. I don’t know about you, but in my opinion, that indicates illegal entry. Unless you have data which delineates the percentage of illegal entries versus visa overstays, you have absolutely NOTHING credible to substantiate your claim. Again, the result is the same, and your opinion is simply that. . . an opinion.

Quote:
More immigrants came to the United States illegally from 2000 through 2004 than the number who were granted legal status in those years, according to a study released yesterday that attributed much of the historic shift to visa slowdowns since 2001 and to the nation's strong job market before that.

Pew demographer Jeffrey S. Passel said he believes this was the first time in the nation's history that new illegal arrivals outnumbered new legal immigrants.
Report Details Growth in Illegal Migration - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
However, for the first time, illegal immigrants outnumbered legal ones. The number of illegal immigrants peaked at an estimated 11.9 million in 2008. About 11.2 million illegal immigrants were living in the United States in 2010, a number essentially unchanged from the previous year, a 2011 study showed.
Immigration - Times Topics - The New York Times

You're welcome.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:27 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Whether they entered illegally or overstayed visas, the fact is, there are currently more ILLEGAL Mexicans residing in this country than LEGAL. Like it or not, that IS a fact. Furthermore, the visa overstays are no less illegal than the illegal border jumpers.

Mexican Immigrants in the United States, 2008 - Pew Research Center

Note the report indicates more “came” or "arrived" illegally. I don’t know about you, but in my opinion, that indicates illegal entry. Unless you have data which delineates the percentage of illegal entries versus visa overstays, you have absolutely NOTHING credible to substantiate your claim. Again, the result is the same, and your opinion is simply that. . . an opinion.

Immigration - Times Topics - The New York Times
There is no relevance whatsoever.

The number of ENTRIES, does not equal the number of illegal stays. Please show me a source that shows that the number of Mexicans entering this country are doing so illegally.

The article is just another assumption of yours. It shows how little you know about the border. Think bigger...look at the number of planes that leave Mexico toward the U.S., look at the traffic coming from Mexico toward the U.S. daily. If this lady chose to come here. It does not mean she did it illegally. Its an unfounded opinion.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
What an idiotic thing to say. You are simply trying to incite violence and hatred. That's all you have to offer. it's nothing but pure speculation on your part that she's even in the US.

And further, she has been the subject of continuous death threats since she took office. Of course, since she's a Mexican that's still wouldn't be enough in your mind for her to even consider seeking asylum. IF she has even done so.

I bolded, capitalized and underlined that word to help you recognize it.

Mexican authorities deny reports that border state's female police chief fled – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
A blog?

Oh please, spare me the self-righteous indignation. How is posting an article regarding a Mexican asylum-seeker inciting violence and hatred? You defend miscreants, and you have the gall to take the moral high ground. Give me a break.

Sorry, but she knew the risks when she accepted the job.

I guess these media outlets are also inciting violence and hatred. Note that even the “Latina” news source is covering this story.

Marisol Valles Garcia: Female Mexican Police Chief Seeks Asylum in U.S. - ABC News

Mexican Police Chief Marisol Valles Garcia Flees Country, Seeks Asylum in the U.S. | Latina

Report: Female police chief seeks asylum in U.S. - World Watch - CBS News

Old 03-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
There is no relevance whatsoever.

The number of ENTRIES, does not equal the number of illegal stays. Please show me a source that shows that the number of Mexicans entering this country are doing so illegally.

The article is just another assumption of yours. It shows how little you know about the border. Think bigger...look at the number of planes that leave Mexico toward the U.S., look at the traffic coming from Mexico toward the U.S. daily. If this lady chose to come here. It does not mean she did it illegally. Its an unfounded opinion.
What part of THERE ARE MORE ILLEGAL MEXICANS IN THIS COUNTRY than LEGAL do you not comprehend? If I rob a bank, does it matter whether I entered the bank during business hours, or hid until it closed? They are here ILLEGALLY, period. Give it a up.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
A blog?

Oh please, spare me the self-righteous indignation. How is posting an article regarding a Mexican asylum-seeker inciting violence and hatred? You defend miscreants, and you have the gall to take the moral high ground. Give me a break.

Sorry, but she knew the risks when she accepted the job.

I guess these media outlets are also inciting violence and hatred. Note that even the “Latina” news source is covering this story.

Marisol Valles Garcia: Female Mexican Police Chief Seeks Asylum in U.S. - ABC News

Mexican Police Chief Marisol Valles Garcia Flees Country, Seeks Asylum in the U.S. | Latina

Report: Female police chief seeks asylum in U.S. - World Watch - CBS News
WOW...okay so now you agree she is an asylum seeker and not an illegal immigrant. Good, I'm glad we are on the same page now.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
WOW...okay so now you agree she is an asylum seeker and not an illegal immigrant. Good, I'm glad we are on the same page now.
No, we are NOT on the same page. We still do not know whether she entered this country legally, do we?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie
You do have to wonder don't you? Why would a 20 year old female college student with a baby son take on that job in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar
To improve her chances of seeking a better life in the USA –- the land of milk and honey.
Brilliant! She studied criminology at the University of Guadalajara, moved back to Juarez, had a baby, got a job in municipal government, waited for the police chief to be killed, got his job, waited for the female police chief in the neighboring town to be kidnapped (never to be found), waited for threats cartel threats against her - and then sneaked into the US to claim easy asylum. You gotta watch for them crafty Mexicans - they'll do anything to get into the USA.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Brilliant! She studied criminology, had a baby, got a job in municipal government, waited for the police chief to be killed, got his job, waited for the female police chief in the neighboring town to be kidnapped (never to be found), waited for threats cartel threats against her - and then sneaked into the US to claim easy asylum. You gotta watch for them crafty Mexicans - they'll do anything to get into the USA.
Indeed they will.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
What part of THERE ARE MORE ILLEGAL MEXICANS IN THIS COUNTRY than LEGAL do you not comprehend? If I rob a bank, does it matter whether I entered the bank during business hours, or hid until it closed? They are here ILLEGALLY, period. Give it a up.
Open your mind Benicar. That analogy does not work here. Do you need a visa to enter the U.S. for personal business? YES!!! That border is open, its part of our economy and hundreds do so legally. The majority return home to be with their families at the end of the day. This is not your typical tourists of say NY or DC. We share an open border with open trade.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Open your mind Benicar. That analogy does not work here. Do you need a visa to enter the U.S. for personal business? YES!!! That border is open, its part of our economy and hundreds do so legally. The majority return home to be with their families at the end of the day. This is not your typical tourists of say NY or DC. We share an open border with open trade.
My mind is open, but facts are facts. I’m sorry, but you can’t alter the truth to suit your opinion.

Quote:
More than half (55%) of the Mexican immigrants in this country are unauthorized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration