Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times

Advertisements

I see alot of people posting on this forum about how they run a Company or work for a Company that doesn't hire illegal immigrants. I am curious to know how you are able to ensure that nobody who isn't authorized to work in the U.S. is being hired at your Company? What measures do you take? What questions and checks are done in the applicant and interview process that allow you to ensure that all new hires are legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM

706 posts, read 936,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I see alot of people posting on this forum about how they run a Company or work for a Company that doesn't hire illegal immigrants. I am curious to know how you are able to ensure that nobody who isn't authorized to work in the U.S. is being hired at your Company? What measures do you take? What questions and checks are done in the applicant and interview process that allow you to ensure that all new hires are legal?
Slig, Are You an employer ?

If so, do You utilize E-Verify " ?

Do You support "workplace enforcement" ?

Just what do You do to prevent employing illegal aliens"?

If You are not an employer, then why do you question others for their opinions ?

And Your solution to preventing the "employment" of illegal aliens is what ?

Or, do you really want a solution?

Now, I guess I'll slip back into "non-involvement" rather than lowering myself to responding to 20 year old arguements that have become so tiresome,cliche, and repetitive.

Back to the "High Country"

BL

Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM

I just find it odd that people on here confidently say they are able to run a business without hiring any illegals when it's basically impossible to do. Just because you use E-verify doesn't mean there aren't people who are being hired at your Company with a stolen ID. It would be more accurate for you to say that you do not knowingly hire them. I can assure you that pretty much every major corporation in America has illegal employees.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Doing nothing means you are verifying zilch. Some may get through but it's better than just ignoring it. E-verify, interviews. Green card? Many do credit checks too.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,340,468 times
Quote:
I just find it odd that people on here confidently say they are able to run a business without hiring any illegals when it's basically impossible to do. Just because you use E-verify doesn't mean there aren't people who are being hired at your Company with a stolen ID. It would be more accurate for you to say that you do not knowingly hire them. I can assure you that pretty much every major corporation in America has illegal employees.
Let me get this staight.
Are you saying that it's impossibe to run a business without the use of illegal immigrants,

Or

It's impossible to avoid hiring illegals.

Either way is just a p*ss poor excuse

I've done it for 21 years and without the slightest problem.
If a business can't be run without the use of illegal immigrants, that business doesn't deserve to exist.

If a business can't avoid hiring illegal immigrants, it's because that business doesn't want to or the hiring crew isn't trying hard enough.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:06 AM

I'm saying it right now, it is currently impossible to avoid hiring illegals. You can use E-verify, conditional job offers pending an ID check with the Social Security Administration, go through the I-9 form with a fine-tooth comb, it doesn't matter. I never said that these processes shouldn't be followed. I'm saying that I think it's stupid to say you don't hire illegals, because it is more likely than not that you still do.

Mkfarnam, please tell me how you are so certain that you haven't hired any illegals in 21 years and what methods do you use to ensure this...because I don't believe you.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,919,141 times
Quote:
What questions and checks are done in the applicant and interview process that allow you to ensure that all new hires are legal?
Well, you simply ask them. "Are you here legally?"

If they shuffle their feet while avoiding eye contact, look down at the ground and call you a white racist pig under their breath, you'll have your answer....LOL

Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,309,913 times
Quote:

I was a hiring manager long before E-Verify existed. We used the I-9 form along with the appropriate documentation. That was a good screening process. Of course fake docs could have been used but that would be difficult now when used along with E-Verify.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,488,668 times
Hasn’t this subject been discussed in-depth? There are numerous threads on this forum discussing illegal employment and the pros and cons of E-Verify, including the following two threads initiated by you. Why the need to rehash? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Quote:
I support requiring using E-verify to check a new hire's ID to make sure they are a match before allowing them to start work. I feel this should be required by all companies in the US and that companies who fail to follow this procedure could be required to pay hefty fines, and the hiring manager to be charged with a crime. I was wondering what others thought about this and if there are people who would be against this and if so, why.
//www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...new-hires.html

Quote:
People who regularly post on this board seem to know very little about E-Verify and the I-9 form, so for those of you who are not familiar with these processes, please bear with me. However, I have a strong reason to believe that if these processes are done correctly and properly enforced they would deter almost all employment fraud and essentially put an end to our illegal immigration problem.

Here is my proposal:

Now, my plan would only work under the conditions that:
//www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...tive-tool.html

Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Because it annoys me to see threads about people who boycott certain Companies because they hire illegals or because people have posted complaints about them on websites like "wehireillegals.com" or something similar, when it is literally impossible with the current system in place to avoid hiring illegals. You can do everything right and you're still going to end up hiring illegals unknowingly.

Rick Roma that is what I'm talking about. All Companies I've worked with have had those processes in place and still end up terminating employees later after it is found they were working with somebody else's documents. In other words, they still ended up hiring illegal employees. People on here just need to accept that it is inevitable with our current flawed systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration