Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 03:57 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,886 times

Advertisements

what are the legalities of the bill?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
what are the legalities of the bill?

Here are key points in the illegal immigration law. The law:
  • Creates a new criminal offense of aggravated identity fraud for anyone willfully using fraudulent documents to get a job. A person under 21 would be punished by 1-3 years in prison and/or a fine up to $5,000. Those 21 and up would face minimally 1-10 years in jail and/or a fine up to $100,000.
  • Empowers any peace officer with probable cause to believe a person has committed a criminal offense, including a traffic offense, to investigate their immigration status if they cannot produce valid identification and detain them if they are found to be in the country illegally.
  • States that a person’s race, color or country of origin is not to be a determinant in investigating their immigration status.
  • States that a person who contacts the police to report a crime, as a witness to a crime or victim of a crime will not have their status investigated.
  • Requires that when anyone is held in county or municipal jail for any reason, an effort is made to verify that they are in the country legally and if they are not in the country legally, immigration authorities will be notified and they will be subject to detention.
  • Creates a new criminal offense: transporting or moving an illegal alien. Creates a new criminal offense: knowingly and intentionally inducing an illegal alien to enter Georgia. Penalties range from less than 1 year in jail and/or a fine to 1-5 years in jail and/or a fine.
  • Creates a new criminal offense: concealing or harboring an illegal alien. Harboring is defined to mean anything that substantially helps an illegal alien to remain in the United States. Exceptions are: a person helping infants or children, a crime victim, in a medical emergency, a person offering privately funded social services, or attorney-client representation. Penalties mirror those for transporting an illegal alien.
  • Requires any private employer with more than 10 employees to use the federal E-Verify program to determine that any newly hired employee is in the country legally. This will be effective on Jan. 1, 2012 for employers with 500 or more employees, July 2012 for employers of 100 up to 499 employees and July 1, 2013 for employers of more than 10 but fewer than 100 employees. In order to receive a business license or renew a license, businesses will have to show they are registered with E-Verify. Violation of this will be a criminal offense.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 05-16-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM

i just read what he signed. i dont see anything being changed because of it.

"forces employers to use e-verify"

most employers already use it.

people who still want to bend the rules will bend the rules.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Yes, true...that's why they need to be fined up the a**.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:

Not true. Most employers are not using e-verify but if they did you would see far less bending of the rules by the employers and far less illegal alien applicants.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Not true. Most employers are not using e-verify but if they did you would see far less bending of the rules by the employers and far less illegal alien applicants.
deal himself said he didnt want the bill to be a burden on employers.

that is doublespeak for let me grandstand and get political points for upholding a campaign promise, but not actually do anything to companies who don't follow the law, which most will continue to.

this blind following of repubs with immigration is just idiotic.

look at what the republicans are doing in utah, creating a guest worker program for illegals. utah will be the first illegal sanctuary state under a republican controlled governor, senate, and house.

wake up and stop drinking the koolaid. the republicans have as much to gain, if not more to gain by passing some sort of amnesty.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
look at what the republicans are doing in utah, creating a guest worker program for illegals. utah will be the first illegal sanctuary state under a republican controlled governor, senate, and house.
I just don't understand how they can get away with that bill in the first place? Obama never spoke out about their "Guest Worker Program" but spared no words to criticize another bill cracking down on illegal immigration.

I wonder why that is?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I just don't understand how they can get away with that bill in the first place? Obama never spoke out about their "Guest Worker Program" but spared no words to criticize another bill cracking down on illegal immigration.

I wonder why that is?
they can get away with it because people dont know about it or dont care.

im just highly skeptical of these bills to begin with.

i dont see them being enforced.

i see it as political grandstanding mostly.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
deal himself said he didnt want the bill to be a burden on employers.

that is doublespeak for let me grandstand and get political points for upholding a campaign promise, but not actually do anything to companies who don't follow the law, which most will continue to.

this blind following of repubs with immigration is just idiotic.

wake up and stop drinking the koolaid. the republicans have as much to gain, if not more to gain by passing some sort of amnesty.
I hate to burst your bubble but the Dems are even worse on illegal immigraton than the Republicans.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:59 PM

809 posts, read 997,777 times
If you want to solve the undocumented worker problem, arrest the employers and have all the undocumented workers join a union.

Right now, undocumented aliens are no better off than the "gastarbeiter," the slave workers in WWII Germany. They live in fear, their employer can abuse them financially, sexually and physically with impunity, they do work for pay no American will, and they pay taxes.

They are responsible for $3 to $5 billion of California's Gross State Product, and I doubt it's different in any other state. They contribute.

If you want them out of your community, just offer to do their job for the same pay. Their boss will be happy to hire a white Christian who speaks his language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration