Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times

Advertisements

Daniel Lyons - Silicon Valley Wants to Stay On the Road to Prosperity - washingtonpost.com

The US simply does not produce enough engineers and scientist anymore. Until we start doing so, which seems unlikely, since kids today just want to get an MBA or work in the NBA, we will need to keep importing them as quickly as we can.

After all, if we dont have them working for us, they are probably competing against us. And we are starting to lose some of those battles...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Immigrant engineers may well be keeping America on top..in the engineering field.

Not all immigrants are engineers....and America isn't 'on top', either, in many ways...

Old 01-27-2009, 01:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Daniel Lyons - Silicon Valley Wants to Stay On the Road to Prosperity - washingtonpost.com

The US simply does not produce enough engineers and scientist anymore. Until we start doing so, which seems unlikely, since kids today just want to get an MBA or work in the NBA, we will need to keep importing them as quickly as we can.

After all, if we dont have them working for us, they are probably competing against us. And we are starting to lose some of those battles...

Not according to this Duke study.

Quote:
However, a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and that offshoring is all about cost savings.

This report, entitled "Issues in Science and Technology" and published in the latest National Academy of Sciences magazine further explores the topic of engineering graduation rates of India, China and the United States, the subject of a 2005 Duke study.

Dukes 2005 study corrected a long-heard myth about India and China graduating 12 times as many engineers as the United States, finding instead that the United States graduates a comparable number.

However, Dukes 2005 study reported serious problems with the quality of Indian and Chinese bachelor-level engineering graduates, and predicted both shortages in India and unemployment in China. The current report finds these predictions to be accurate, with Chinas National Reform Commission reporting that the majority of its 2006 graduates will not find work. There are also oft-heard whisperings of a engineering shortage in India, though private colleges and "finishing schools" are going far to make up for the Indian deficiencies, the report said.
Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers - Past News

Unfortunately, many people who would enter the field of engineering are being discouraged due to the prevalence of corporations recruiting engineers from India and China. The same holds true for the IT field. I wonder which profession will be next on the chopping block.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM

42 posts, read 93,258 times
It seems strange to me that when the US was predominately white, Pre -1965, this was the strongest country on earth. Now, after years of immigration, we are rolling further and further down the slope to the third world. The more immigrants, the worse the country gets for the natives.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
legal immigrations keeps us on top. we have become lazy and got mega attitude so sadly this is true. what is keeping us down is illegal immigration. gangbanger inc of mexico have discovered america is disneyland for criminals, look ma, no punishment and we will jail the cops or joe six pack, if they try to do something about it.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers - Past News

Unfortunately, many people who would enter the field of engineering are being discouraged due to the prevalence of corporations recruiting engineers from India and China. The same holds true for the IT field. I wonder which profession will be next on the chopping block.
This is true. I know two young American engineers who are struggling to say the least and tell me exactly what you've stated. One is now employed as a patent examiner for the US patent office. The other works for Radio Shack.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
This is true. I know two young American engineers who are struggling to say the least and tell me exactly what you've stated. One is now employed as a patent examiner for the US patent office. The other works for Radio Shack.
It's a monumental travesty; and another nail in the American economic coffin. Sadly, many fail to realize this is simply part of the plan by our enemies to destroy the US. Greed has supplanted common sense.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:08 PM

In my 51 years I've never seen so much transparent greed from the highest places, ever. The Federal Government seems to be complicit in every way even to the point of continuing this massive giveaway through open borders, incentives for outsourcing and visas for skilled labor not to mention the many bailouts that number in the trillions of dollars to wealthy companies with absolutely no strings attached.
Boggles the mind and criminal to say the least and will haunt this massive government and both parties if this isn't thought out correctly now!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Rule of thumb: if one can telecommute; that person's job can be outsourced very easily---------unless security issues mandate that only US citizens/green card holders can hold certain positions.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Rule of thumb: if one can telecommute; that person's job can be outsourced very easily---------unless security issues mandate that only US citizens/green card holders can hold certain positions.
That is true, I work in the graphic arts industry. It is now digital and can be sent at the speed of light anywhere in the world and it is. I have told people if it can be digitized forget about it. Plumbing or lawyering is all the rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration