Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 AM

652 posts, read 2,808,389 times

Advertisements

Why is it that only the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the nations of Europe are required to be "multicultural"? Why those nations specifically? Why not, for example, China, India, Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe, or Guatemala? None of those nations, nor most of the world's nations have a multicultural imperative, where that the host culture is smothered with cultures from all over the world and sucess at the endeavor is gauged by how heavily the host culture is impacted, if not erased entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 AM

21 posts, read 118,705 times
china and india are one of the must cultural countries that u can find, in india for example there is around one hundred religiones, several languages. china has many different religiones and also in china there are many races that make up the chinese mosaic, just check wikipedia.

Last edited by mamluk; 07-19-2007 at 02:40 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 03:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,675,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamluk View Post
china and india are one of the must cultural countries that u can find, in india for example there is around one hundred religiones, several languages. china has many different religiones and also in china there are many races that make up the chinese mosaic, just check wikipedia.
Quite true. The different ethnic groups, religions and language groups are staggering in both countries, same in Africa too.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:12 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,492,891 times
I don't understand the question. Required to be multicultural by whom?

I believe that these countries chose to be multicultural over time, not that they were required to.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:16 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,808,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamluk View Post

I think he means why do white people have to deal with other cultures and races in the first group of countries he mentions, but China and India don't have to deal with white people immigrating to their countries. I agree, on the surface this does not make too much sense. Unless James could clarify the question...

Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,675,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I think he means why do white people have to deal with other cultures and races in the first group of countries he mentions, but China and India don't have to deal with white people immigrating to their countries. I agree, on the surface this does not make too much sense. Unless James could clarify the question...
Isn't it just because white people have no desire to live there ? The "Empire" used to be run by a handful of white people and there never was mass immigration to China, India etc... as westerners never really saw these places as a place to settle.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,492,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Isn't it just because white people have no desire to live there ? The "Empire" used to be run by a handful of white people and there never was mass immigration to China, India etc... as westerners never really saw these places as a place to settle.
It's possible there aren't many westerners who want to move to China, India or Japan. However, I have heard that at least in the case of Japan, it is extremely difficult for "gaijin" to live and work there. I've also heard that it's basically impossible for a westerner to live and work in India, as well.

So whether we want to move there or not, the Japanese and Indians don't treat Americans like we treat them. I'm not sure about China, or South Korea, etc.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Countries which were previously colonialists have to deal with the results of their making money off of the other countries. Also, whenever there were colonists, there occurred "half-caste" children in short order. The burden of adopting multi-culturalism happened all the way back to when ancient Rome conquered the Greeks.

In the US the situation is different. We are a nation of immigrants and pioneers from many regions. So multi-culturalism is to be expected. China, for one, never really had the immigration or the outreach to other countries to expect them to be involved in multiculturism.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,808,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
It's possible there aren't many westerners who want to move to China, India or Japan. However, I have heard that at least in the case of Japan, it is extremely difficult for "gaijin" to live and work there. I've also heard that it's basically impossible for a westerner to live and work in India, as well.

So whether we want to move there or not, the Japanese and Indians don't treat Americans like we treat them. I'm not sure about China, or South Korea, etc.
I can't speak to India, but I can tell you in relation to Japan - you are right there does seem to be some racism...when I went over there I saw some "Japanese only" signs on some of the bars and restaurants in one of the small towns I visited...that was a first for me. From what I understand though, a lot of it has to do with their extremely formal, insular and reserved culture. They don't let any other culture, even other Asian cultures -in easily. But then I do know a white guy who grew up over there, speaks fluent Japanese and is married to a Japanese lady, and just loves it over there. I think a lot of it is like other countries...in Tokyo and other big cities they are more accepting of outside cultures, while in the smaller towns they are more closed and reserved.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 AM

786 posts, read 4,740,121 times
I thought the question was very clear. I do not understand why so many posters did not follow it.

I think the countries that are being forced to be multi cultural had been mostly white and European up to the 1960s but with a growing economy and a falling birthrate needed more workers. There was not a ton of Europeans looking to emigrate and do the nasty dirty jobs so the US and other countries opened up to more immigration from third world countries. This has increased in recent years so now 1/3 of people are foreign born. Compared with 5% in 1960. The push for multiculturalism has made all the countries mentioned have a weaker base culture, many racial issues but a stronger economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration