Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 AM

951 posts, read 746,979 times

Advertisements

orly? Perhaps you can provide some evidence besides CIS studies.... I mean, I'm sure you don't like the link you previously provided being it states the opposite of your claims but come on.

I'd even be willing to move on from here by admitting any benefit/drain is close enough of a wash to ignore this completely and focus on other areas you believe are issues ( crime, Spanish being forced on society, birthright citizenship lol). In doing so I'd expect to not hear rhetoric about them draining society though. I doubt that will happen....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 AM

192 posts, read 115,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Still attempting to use the report I linked. They pay taxes that help fund the benefits that Eleanora1 is talking about. It does not claim that they pay (directly) for things like Hospital care (Medicare is used) or for that matter Emergency hospital care (Medicare is used), it is taken mostly from a payroll deduction, 1 years worth of deduction doesn't cover one visit in costs.

These arguments are all 3-5 years old, most Pro illegal advocacy groups no longer argue as huddlemasses does because they have admitted they were wrong and are looking at alternative methods of argument.
The hospitals are reimbursed not through Medicare, but rather through Medicaid.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,079,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
The hospitals are reimbursed not through Medicare, but rather through Medicaid.
My mistake, good catch.
It is there State payroll deductions (for 1 year or 10 for that matter) that are not enough to cover a single visit to the emergency room.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM

192 posts, read 115,786 times
Quote:
My mistake, good catch.
It is there State payroll deductions (for 1 year or 10 for that matter) that are not enough to cover a single visit to the emergency room.
Most states also collect sales and property taxes, which are unavoidable for illegal immigrants.

More importantly, however, not every illegal immigrant uses the ER on a regular basis.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie47 View Post
Most states also collect sales and property taxes, which are unavoidable for illegal immigrants.

More importantly, however, not every illegal immigrant uses the ER on a regular basis.
The issue is, does what they use overcompensate for what they pay? I, and many economists say that they do; or do they underfund what is used? Has yet to be shown. Simply because they pay some forms of unavoidable taxes, that should not grant them full use and diminishment of a program taken away from those that have paid in their entire lives. I say we bill their Nations for the difference in covering their costs, otherwise we as tax payers end up paying the difference.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM

403 posts, read 334,594 times
Quote:
My mistake, good catch.
If the person gets hurt on the job, I believe workman's comp pays for it.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM

403 posts, read 334,594 times
Quote:
The issue is, does what they use overcompensate for what they pay? I, and many economists say that they do; or do they underfund what is used? Has yet to be shown. Simply because they pay some forms of unavoidable taxes, that should not grant them full use and diminishment of a program taken away from those that have paid in their entire lives. I say we bill their Nations for the difference in covering their costs, otherwise we as tax payers end up paying the difference.
At the very least would you agree that's its not definitive one way or the other?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
If the person gets hurt on the job, I believe workman's comp pays for it.
Well that would be great if it happens in all instances, the problem is that it does not. It only happens if the employer takes the employee to the care service and files the forms for workers comp.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
At the very least would you agree that's its not definitive one way or the other?
To me it is definitive, they are a burden. GDP they cost us $14B, that's not accounting for each State or locals costs. As has been said by myself, all economists agree that illegal aliens are a net drain at all levels, even Paul Krugman has stated that. Legalizing them will only decrease these already fiscal burdens further as they become even more eligible to collect welfare, even though there is a 5 year denial for most welfare to legal residents. Remember it is there children, perceived as citizens, that allow them to collect welfare for their children, thus the 5 year bar would be worthless.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:59 PM

951 posts, read 746,979 times
Quote:
To me it is definitive, they are a burden. GDP they cost us $14B, that's not accounting for each State or locals costs. As has been said by myself, all economists agree that illegal aliens are a net drain at all levels, even Paul Krugman has stated that. Legalizing them will only decrease these already fiscal burdens further as they become even more eligible to collect welfare, even though there is a 5 year denial for most welfare to legal residents. Remember it is there children, perceived as citizens, that allow them to collect welfare for their children, thus the 5 year bar would be worthless.
lollerskates

For starters:

Quote:
Ford (an economist), of Middle Tennessee State University, said a majority of economists agree that illegal immigrants are a net benefit for the U.S. economy.
Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration