U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 PM

38,704 posts, read 98,945,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
there would be no retroactive application. i don't think anyone would suggest such a thing.
Not only that, but retroactive enforcement would violate the ex post facto clause(s) of the Constitution.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 PM

2,587 posts, read 8,326,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not only that, but retroactive enforcement would violate the ex post facto clause(s) of the Constitution.
Art. I, Secs 9-10 are applicable to criminal law only. civil regulations may have retroactive application, but in this case, it's a non-issue.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Art. I, Secs 9-10 are applicable to criminal law only.
You mean to tell me that if, say, the Civil Rights Act were amended next week forbidding employment and housing discrimination against gays and lesbians, that people can be sued in federal court for alleged infractions from 8 months ago? Nonsense.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You mean to tell me that if, say, the Civil Rights Act were amended next week forbidding employment and housing discrimination against gays and lesbians, that people can be sued in federal court for alleged infractions from 8 months ago? Nonsense.
i think the statute would have to explicitly state that it may be applied retroactively, and it couldn't be remotely punitive (ie., a criminal law in disguise). if it did it would not be unconstitutional, just impractical. thus, no legislation of that type would ever be drafted that way, and if it were, it would probably be challenged on substantive due process grounds, but not as a violation of the ex post facto clause, which doesn't apply.

Last edited by katenik; 08-17-2007 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-17-2007, 09:50 PM

7,653 posts, read 11,222,932 times
The Fourteenth Amendment needs to be eliminated. It's not fair for legal U.S. citizens to keep funding all this welfare assistance, plus the cost of free public education to these children of illegals.

Granted, it's not the children's fault for being born here ... but the responsibility still falls on the parents. If they can't become legal citizens the way many other hard working immigrants have over the last several hundred years, then they're not setting good examples for their children, and shouldn't even be parents. Many of them refuse to adapt to our customs & won't learn English ... so why should they be entitled to any special rights or privliges?

Our nation is becoming too overcrowded as it is with these migrants who multiply like rabbits. Sorry, but it has come to the point where they either need to become legal, or risk being deported (children and all).

Old 08-17-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The Fourteenth Amendment needs to be eliminated.
all of it? i'm sure you don't mean that. LOL

Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 PM

7,653 posts, read 11,222,932 times
Quote:
all of it? i'm sure you don't mean that. LOL
Its original intent was necessary after the slaves were freed. However, the amendment has outlived its usefulness. If the Fourteenth Amendment were to be eliminated, I'm sure there would be no danger of deporting anybody who is a descendant of slaves or their children/grandchildren. Those brutal days (thankfully) are long gone.

However, it is now a Constitutional right being abused by illegal aliens. They are fully aware that they can migrate to the U.S., get pregnant, and have their children be declared as automatic legal citizens ... while collecting all the "entitlements" courtesy of the legal American taxpayers!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Its original intent was necessary after the slaves were freed. However, the amendment has outlived its usefulness. If the Fourteenth Amendment were to be eliminated, I'm sure there would be no danger of deporting anybody who is a descendant of slaves or their children/grandchildren. Those brutal days (thankfully) are long gone.

However, it is now a Constitutional right being abused by illegal aliens. They are fully aware that they can migrate to the U.S., get pregnant, and have their children be declared as automatic legal citizens ... while collecting all the "entitlements" courtesy of the legal American taxpayers!
Uhm..... the 14th Amendment has very little if anything to do with any of that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration