Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,301,940 times

Advertisements

I'm confused by this topic. Are you posting this in disagreement? In other words, are you saying that a Mexican who emigrates to the U.S. and becomes an American citizen should cease to be Mexican?

On the flipside, so as an American born white guy from Minnesota, are you saying that if I move to Mexico and gain my Mexican citizenship I should cease to consider myself an American?

You ever heard of dual-citizenship?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Oh, and by the way...if I do ever move to Mexico and become a dual US/Mexico citizen and I'm watching USA play Mexico in soccer I'd still be rooting for USA....are you saying I wouldn't be able to do that either?

In a somewhat related hypothetical, if I move to Wisconsin and become a legal Wisconsin resident does that mean I have to start rooting for the Packers and the Wisconsin Badgers? Does that mean I have to abandon my beloved Minnesota Vikings and Gophers?

The more I think about this the more I think it makes absolutely no sense.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,448,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Oh, and by the way...if I do ever move to Mexico and become a dual US/Mexico citizen and I'm watching USA play Mexico in soccer I'd still be rooting for USA....are you saying I wouldn't be able to do that either?

In a somewhat related hypothetical, if I move to Wisconsin and become a legal Wisconsin resident does that mean I have to start rooting for the Packers and the Wisconsin Badgers? Does that mean I have to abandon my beloved Minnesota Vikings and Gophers?

The more I think about this the more I think it makes absolutely no sense.
i think it does. These were probably 2nd and 3rd generation hispanic Americans, and were expected to cheer for the US. Obviously that won't happen because Mexicans think the US is Mexico which it is not. My great grand parents are straight from Ireland does that mean I would cheer for Ireland over the US in a soccer game? No way. These mexicans and illegals do not assimilate at all, just want the US to become like the ****hole they just came from.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
i think it does. These were probably 2nd and 3rd generation hispanic Americans, and were expected to cheer for the US. Obviously that won't happen because Mexicans think the US is Mexico which it is not. My great grand parents are straight from Ireland does that mean I would cheer for Ireland over the US in a soccer game? No way. These mexicans and illegals do not assimilate at all, just want the US to become like the ****hole they just came from.
The same thing happens here though. I have friends whose grandparents are from Wisconsin and were Green Bay Packer fans. My friends have lived their entire life in Minnesota but are still cheeseheads because that's how they were raised. Don't tell me you don't have any Irish pride, because if you don't you are the exception to the rule. People here go nuts on St. Patrick's Day no matter how obscure their Irish roots are.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,448,423 times
Quote:
The same thing happens here though. I have friends whose grandparents are from Wisconsin and were Green Bay Packer fans. My friends have lived their entire life in Minnesota but are still cheeseheads because that's how they were raised. Don't tell me you don't have any Irish pride, because if you don't you are the exception to the rule. People here go nuts on St. Patrick's Day no matter how obscure their Irish roots are.
I do go insane on St. Patricks day, and am extremely proud of my heritage. I am going to to Ireland one of these years, and also Scotland. (Im scots-irish actually)

But Im an American 1st and Irishmen 2nd. You don't have to blend right in and forget about your ancestry but these illegals don't even act as if their in a different country.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I do go insane on St. Patricks day, and am extremely proud of my heritage. I am going to to Ireland one of these years, and also Scotland. (Im scots-irish actually)

But Im an American 1st and Irishmen 2nd. You don't have to blend right in and forget about your ancestry but these illegals don't even act as if their in a different country.
All I have to say is that if you go even a tiny bit more insane on St. Patricks day than you do on the 4th of July you're un-American in my book.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:39 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,642,414 times
Quote:
I'm confused by this topic. Are you posting this in disagreement? In other words, are you saying that a Mexican who emigrates to the U.S. and becomes an American citizen should cease to be Mexican?

On the flipside, so as an American born white guy from Minnesota, are you saying that if I move to Mexico and gain my Mexican citizenship I should cease to consider myself an American?

You ever heard of dual-citizenship?
Please see quote from Article:

Quote:
The traditional view of immigration in the U.S. is that immigrants come to our country because they want to become Americans, and then they become Americans. Most Americans still believe that immigrants should assimilate, that is, learn English and become loyal Americans.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
All I have to say is that if you go even a tiny bit more insane on St. Patricks day than you do on the 4th of July you're un-American in my book.
I agree if you here you are an American.

In the end everyone comes from one place, but no one screams of that heritage.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,280,274 times
Quote:

Apples and oranges are being compared anyway. If an Irish team were playing against a U.S. team most Americans of Irish descent would be rooting for the U.S., not Ireland. It is different with many Americans of Mexican descent though. In a U.S. vs Mexico competition they would be rooting for Mexico as was exemplified in the opening topic. This has nothing to do with ethnic or U.S. holidays. They aren't competitions against one another.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Another quote from article:

Quote:
In contrast, the U.S. political/media elite support multiculturalism and think regular Americans should accommodate the immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration