Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,292,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Apples and oranges are being compared anyway. If an Irish team were playing against a U.S. team most Americans of Irish descent would be rooting for the U.S., not Ireland. It is different with many Americans of Mexican descent though. In a U.S. vs Mexico competition they would be rooting for Mexico as was exemplified in the opening topic. This has nothing to do with ethnic or U.S. holidays. They aren't competitions against one another.
I still don't think there are any differences when you're looking at the same generation. I have a couple friends who are 4th generation latinos. They don't know any Spanish and are as American as apple pie. Both would find it equally strange to root for Panama or Mexico over the U.S. in international sports.

I think where people point out differences is when they are comparing different generations. Of course somebody who was born in Mexico is going to have more Mexican pride and roots than somebody whose great-grandfather emigrated from Mexico and whose parents have lived their entire life in the U.S.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,206,234 times
Super weird to use sports as a barometer for loyalty. If you switch sports teams when you move, you should be deported.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM

34 posts, read 21,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Interesting article. Even though the title is different than the discussion, It talks a lot about the illegal immigration issue if you read the article on the link.

Title" Soccer Fans in USA Hurt Mexico's Image & Interests"
And even if I moved to Mexico, I'd consider myself an American. Real shocking stuff here.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,274,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I still don't think there are any differences when you're looking at the same generation. I have a couple friends who are 4th generation latinos. They don't know any Spanish and are as American as apple pie. Both would find it equally strange to root for Panama or Mexico over the U.S. in international sports.

I think where people point out differences is when they are comparing different generations. Of course somebody who was born in Mexico is going to have more Mexican pride and roots than somebody whose great-grandfather emigrated from Mexico and whose parents have lived their entire life in the U.S.
Granted, I have never claimed that all those Americans of Mexican descent regardless of generation or whether or not they were born here have more loyalty to Mexico than the U.S. but far too many do IMO.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Granted, I have never claimed that all those Americans of Mexican descent regardless of generation or whether or not they were born here have more loyalty to Mexico than the U.S. but far too many do IMO.
What is the correct number?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,638,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitNSnooze2 View Post
What is the correct number?
There was a poll out. I will try to find it, but the number is very high.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,638,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitNSnooze2 View Post
And even if I moved to Mexico, I'd consider myself an American. Real shocking stuff here.
Then you are not assimilating.

What would be the reason for your move, if not to love, and embrace the culture and its people?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Then you are not assimilating.

What would be the reason for your move, if not to love, and embrace the culture and its people?
I can't love and embrace a culture and it's people without giving up being an American? That is just bizarre.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,777,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
To use a rather popular meme around this forum, what does this have to do with illegal immigration?

This seems like a pretty transparent attempt to rile up sentiment against a particular ethnic group, regardless of their immigration status.

But I know that can't be the case, because everyone here is adamant that they aren't bigoted and they only care about THE LAW.
Do you care any about THE LAW?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Do you care any about THE LAW?
I care so much about THE LAW that I want to fix the bad ones. Freaky, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration