Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

Thousands rally against Ga. immigration law.

Quote:
Thousands rallied at the Georgia Capitol to protest the state's new immigration law, which they say creates an unwelcome environment for people of color and those in search of a better life. (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/thousands-rally-against-ga-996279.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

People of color? Is that the new buzzword for illegal aliens?

Old 07-05-2011, 05:47 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yep. But its gives white illegal Hispanics a pass.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:31 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
But its gives white illegal Hispanics a pass.
There are very few white illegal Hispanics; most come from southern Mexico and Central American countries that conform to the historic cultural region of Mesoamerica, which has a predominantly Indian population. The major source of white Hispanic immigrants is Cuba, emigration from which is not illegal in the U.S.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:14 PM

89 posts, read 50,615 times
Quote:
Well, as adamant as you've been that there will be ABSOLUTELY NO RACIAL PROFILING when it comes to the enforcement of this law, I don't think you've given an answer as to how the police will distinguish between an illegal immigrant who doesn't have ID and a US citizen who forgot his or her ID.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Or even a legal immigrant. Yes, I know legal immigrants are required to carry their green cards around at all times. But a few of them might get caught having forgotten it. It happens. The punishment for that mental slip is not and should not be deportation, or even a lengthy detention. Instead, it's a small fine.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Old 07-07-2011, 04:56 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
Well, as adamant as you've been that there will be ABSOLUTELY NO RACIAL PROFILING when it comes to the enforcement of this law, I don't think you've given an answer as to how the police will distinguish between an illegal immigrant who doesn't have ID and a US citizen who forgot his or her ID.
I always carry ID now. I got pulled over riding a bike and I was detained until my wife could bring my ID. Not carrying a form of ID is foolish.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:25 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I always carry ID now. I got pulled over riding a bike and I was detained until my wife could bring my ID. Not carrying a form of ID is foolish.
Totally agree. If you have an accident even while just out walking and you don't have any I.D. on you how will LE identify you if you are unable to communicate with them for example? How will your loved ones be notified? It is just plain silly to not stick your DL or other form of I.D. in your pocket no matter where you go. I wonder what excuse the pro-illegals would come up with if carrying I.D. at all times was mandatory?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Quote:
Totally agree. If you have an accident even while just out walking and you don't have any I.D. on you how will LE identify you if you are unable to communicate with them for example? How will your loved ones be notified? It is just plain silly to not stick your DL or other form of I.D. in your pocket no matter where you go. I wonder what excuse the pro-illegals would come up with if carrying I.D. at all times was mandatory?
Yeah, I carry ID most of the time, too. But I have sometimes forgotten, and even though it's foolish, it's not against the law for me to go for a jog without my wallet. We specifically don't require citizens to carry around ID all the time. That's because our country is freer than, say, Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia.

But now, here's a law saying that the police must check the ID of someone they suspect is an illegal immigrant. How are the police going to know who to even ask for ID in the first place? Like, I mean, you say that the police will know that you two are citizens because you have IDs, but they won't know that until they've made you stop and produce it. Wouldn't you rather get on with your grocery shopping or jogging or bike ride without having to get stopped by a cop, produce your ID, wait around while he punches it into his computer, and then eventually get the all-clear? Do you want cops doing this to you every time one sees you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration