Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:45 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,819 times

Advertisements

It's not about race or wealth its about culture. People want to be around people who are like themselves. They feel more secure when they are surrounded by people who think and act as they do. As neghborhoods age, the culture changes, people who used to feel safe and comfortable no longer do. The problem is magnified when you have unrestained immigration as the new immigrants establish whole neghborhoods where they maintain their old culture and language instead of assimilating into the new culture. The problem is that many people living in the U.S. now do not really want to be American citizens, they just want the fruits of being a citizen. Being a citizen means taking ownership in your country and doing the things necessary to make it a better place. Unfortunatly we have a growing number of freeloaders and a declining number of citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 12:54 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,338 times
I'm sick of IILEGAL people breaking in to our country and stealing from the system. I am also tired of those here that are not loyal to this country, do not love this country and are not patriotic. I remember as a kid in school holding my hand over my heart and pledging allegiance to the flag. I really meant it. I still do. I love this country and what it once was. I am a true patriot and proud to be an American. I have no regard for others in this country that do not appreciate this country and abide by it's laws.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:33 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It's not about race or wealth its about culture. People want to be around people who are like themselves. They feel more secure when they are surrounded by people who think and act as they do. As neghborhoods age, the culture changes, people who used to feel safe and comfortable no longer do. The problem is magnified when you have unrestained immigration as the new immigrants establish whole neghborhoods where they maintain their old culture and language instead of assimilating into the new culture. The problem is that many people living in the U.S. now do not really want to be American citizens, they just want the fruits of being a citizen. Being a citizen means taking ownership in your country and doing the things necessary to make it a better place. Unfortunatly we have a growing number of freeloaders and a declining number of citizens.
No question about it, that's the "way it is". My only argument has been with those who take out their rage on the illegal immigrants. While these "line-jumpers" are without a doubt the target of much well-founded frustration, the picture is far larger than that.

The illegals, it's true, are acting far differently than the immigrants of an earlier time. But, to be honest, we'd have to admit that these illegals are now encountering a population of Americans that's EQUALLY different from those "earlier" Americans.

Illegals may be annoying, but they wouldn't be here if they weren't being welcomed by employers, a willing congress, a "neutered" border patrol, and a suffocating culture of political correctness that makes it nearly impossible to even discuss the situation in a rational manner. Much has changed in the past few decades, but I think the biggest changes have been in our American culture.

We have big, BIG problems here. Illegal immigration is a part of it. But near-total moral collapse, lack of civic reponsibility, and a general spinelessness in our leadership is probably an even BIGGER part.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:06 PM

447 posts, read 798,039 times
macmeal...you couldnt have said it better if you tried...kudos to you

Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 PM

447 posts, read 798,039 times
Quote:
while i do agree with macmeal...i also agree with you...we see it everyday...and i find it hard to understand why this can and does happen...i wish we could cut down on the illegal immigration, but even with the phone calling and letter writting...seems the politicians are unwilling to do anything about it, afraid of losing votes, i suspect...sooooo sad...but soooooo true.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
while i do agree with macmeal...i also agree with you...we see it everyday...and i find it hard to understand why this can and does happen...i wish we could cut down on the illegal immigration, but even with the phone calling and letter writting...seems the politicians are unwilling to do anything about it, afraid of losing votes, i suspect...sooooo sad...but soooooo true.
I respectfully disagree:

The tipping point against illegal immigration may have occurred April 2006 with those idiotic demonstrations--------how stupid can the so-called 'Hispanic' leadership be? IMHO: they may have unwittingly sold out the rank and file Latinos-----legal as well as illegal.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,879 times
Quote:
I agree, although I would add in many, many areas the illegal immigration that has infested many of our cities, results in the neighborhoods turning into crime riddled slums. And sometimes, it can happen almost overnight.

Many of us have lived in our neighborhoods for decades, we have watched our neighborhoods deteriorate to the point where they look like something you would see on a TV crime show. Friends move away, schools deteriorate, and crime rates soar. In many areas the illegal immigration is so bad, if you didn't know better, you would think the nice neighborhood you grew up in was now part of a third world country. Foreign languages are spoken, music blares from car stereos, prostitutes and drug dealers walk the streets, and the house your best friend grew up in now has three illegal alien families and 23 people living in it.

It's not racism to want the values you grew up with to be maintained. We do have a culture here in the United States. And when something as important to us as our very own neighborhoods are threatened by such a huge number of people who are outright invading our country by numbers in the millions. It shouldn't surprise anyone when people begin to take notice and stand up and fight for what really amounts to is the preservation of their very way of life.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:55 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
Quote:
I can tell you that this does not apply to me, my wife, my family and many if not all of my friends. You see there are people in the US who do not want some homogeneous country where we all speak, look and act exactly alike. For us, our culture is forever changing and evolving, that is what I think American Culture is all about, tolerance of religion, race, and ethnicity make for better growth.

We take solace in knowing that our neighborhood is in constant influx of many cultures. It is one of the main reasons we live in California. I personally believe that with difference comes new innovations and new thoughts are provoked...new blood, so to speak.

When I think of the USA the way it was meant to be, I think of California during the WWII. When really for the first time Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Whites and Women were allowed to join in the workforce. We learned our lessons back then of bias towards the Italians and Asians. Mexican Americans joined the Military to show their allegiance to this country. Black people gained confidence from being apart of America and they excelled. Legal or not, our new immigrants are advancing in America.

I will agree that some people do fear change, but for me and my family we welcome it and therefore we don't feel the need to get defensive about immigrants. If our neighborhood heads in a different direction we don't like, oh well that is America..you move on. What you call "deteriorate" I call "evolve" and it is all cyclical.

For me America is a true melting pot, it is make it or break it. Many of these illegals are working very hard for America and for their families. Personally I don't mind learning another language or listening to other cultures music in my neighborhood, I find it refreshing and new. I wish more French would move over here, I like croissants and parfaits. There are a lot of Indians and Chinese where we live, I love them, some are illegals.

I mean America has always had a China Town, Little Italy, Lil-Cuba, Woodbury for Irish...so now you have a Lil-Tijuana...big deal.

I am not too worried about it, the people will stop coming once we hit the top of the bell curve anyways, it is economics. The whole focus and fear placed on illegals lately is really misguided energy we should be using to get our housing and war situation on track. If immigration stays at the forefront of the issues for the presidential debate, I am going to really ashamed of this country.

Last edited by Mach50; 09-25-2007 at 02:07 AM..

Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
I can tell you that this does not apply to me, my wife, my family and many if not all of my friends. You see there are people in the US who do not want some homogeneous country where we all speak, look and act exactly alike. For us, our culture is forever changing and evolving, that is what I think American Culture is all about, tolerance of religion, race, and ethnicity make for better growth.

We take solace in knowing that our neighborhood is in constant influx of many cultures. It is one of the main reasons we live in California. I personally believe that with difference comes new innovations and new thoughts are provoked...new blood, so to speak.

When I think of the USA the way it was meant to be, I think of California during the WWII. When really for the first time Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Whites and Women were allowed to join in the workforce. We learned our lessons back then of bias towards the Italians and Asians. Mexican Americans joined the Military to show their allegiance to this country. Black people gained confidence from being apart of America and they excelled. Legal or not, our new immigrants are advancing in America.

I will agree that some people do fear change, but for me and my family we welcome it and therefore we don't feel the need to get defensive about immigrants. If our neighborhood heads in a different direction we don't like, oh well that is America..you move on. What you call "deteriorate" I call "evolve" and it is all cyclical.

For me America is a true melting pot, it is make it or break it. Many of these illegals are working very hard for America and for their families. Personally I don't mind learning another language or listening to other cultures music in my neighborhood, I find it refreshing and new. I wish more French would move over here, I like croissants and parfaits. There are a lot of Indians and Chinese where we live, I love them, some are illegals.

I mean America has always had a China Town, Little Italy, Lil-Cuba, Woodbury for Irish...so now you have a Lil-Tijuana...big deal.

I am not too worried about it, the people will stop coming once we hit the top of the bell curve anyways, it is economics. The whole focus and fear placed on illegals lately is really misguided energy we should be using to get our housing and war situation on track. If immigration stays at the forefront of the issues for the presidential debate, I am going to really ashamed of this country.
Wow.. let me address some of these statements.

I personally believe that with difference comes new innovations and new thoughts are provoked...new blood, so to speak.

I would be interested in knowing what area you live in. Do the new inovations you speak of include such things as violent crime, tagging, gangs, drugs and human smuggling, drive bys, hospitals closing due being overwhelmed with non paying patients, oh and don.t forget the diseses which at one time we had wiped out here but are now making a new resurgence.

When I think of the USA the way it was meant to be
I love this statement, you can speak for the forefathers and all the rest of us and determine what our country was supposed to be, thats great!

I think of California during the WWII. When really for the first time Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Whites and Women were allowed to join in the workforce. We learned our lessons back then of bias towards the Italians and Asians.
I hate to inject the truth into your fantasy, but the truth is the Japaneese in California were being rounded up and being put in concentration camps, people did not trust any Asians (The lesson learned then was called Pearl Harbor).There were not that many Hispanics in California at the time due to the mass deportations during the depression.

Many of these illegals are working very hard for America and for their families.
The issue is not how hard they work, and they are defenatly not working "for America" the fact that they are illegal shows how much respect they have for our laws and that they feel we do not have the right to dictate our own immigration policies.

I am not too worried about it, the people will stop coming once we hit the top of the bell curve anyways, it is economics

Great now this is really comforting! So all we have to do is just sit back and relax, and when our country has been completly ruined to the point where the standard of living is better in Mexico than it is here, all the illegals will go home.
You know I really feel silly about being concerned. I guess I should just kick back and get some of what ever it is that you are smoking, it must be great!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times
Quote:
Wow.. let me address some of these statements.

I personally believe that with difference comes new innovations and new thoughts are provoked...new blood, so to speak.

I would be interested in knowing what area you live in. Do the new inovations you speak of include such things as violent crime, tagging, gangs, drugs and human smuggling, drive bys, hospitals closing due being overwhelmed with non paying patients, oh and don.t forget the diseses which at one time we had wiped out here but are now making a new resurgence.

When I think of the USA the way it was meant to be
I love this statement, you can speak for the forefathers and all the rest of us and determine what our country was supposed to be, thats great!

I think of California during the WWII. When really for the first time Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Whites and Women were allowed to join in the workforce. We learned our lessons back then of bias towards the Italians and Asians.
I hate to inject the truth into your fantasy, but the truth is the Japaneese in California were being rounded up and being put in concentration camps, people did not trust any Asians (The lesson learned then was called Pearl Harbor).There were not that many Hispanics in California at the time due to the mass deportations during the depression.

Many of these illegals are working very hard for America and for their families.
The issue is not how hard they work, and they are defenatly not working "for America" the fact that they are illegal shows how much respect they have for our laws and that they feel we do not have the right to dictate our own immigration policies.

I am not too worried about it, the people will stop coming once we hit the top of the bell curve anyways, it is economics

Great now this is really comforting! So all we have to do is just sit back and relax, and when our country has been completly ruined to the point where the standard of living is better in Mexico than it is here, all the illegals will go home.
You know I really feel silly about being concerned. I guess I should just kick back and get some of what ever it is that you are smoking, it must be great!

My German family were not treated so well when they came over in 1940 either!!!
Anyway, nicely said , I agree. I guess ignorance is bliss for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration