Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:11 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times

Advertisements

Will we see a one party system in America in my lifetime?
With the Influx of Illegals whose children will be able to vote and..
Probably at some point Illegals will be able to vote.(could happen)
Majority of these votes will go to Democrats.
Will it be enough to keep Democrats in power for good?
Could be the reason the Right doesnt make much noise about Immigration and the Left is courting the Latino vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM

218 posts, read 437,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Could be the reason the Right doesnt make much noise about Immigration and the Left is courting the Latino vote.

It's hard to say. One might have made the exact same point 100 years ago, when the immigrants were Italian and Irish Catholics who tended to vote the way the machines in the cities told them. If the children and grandchildren of illegals remain poor and without skills (i.e., consumers of services rather than payers), then they will likely remain Democrats.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Illegal aliens are already affecting voting and politics. While illegals "technically" don't have the right to vote in federal elections-they do in some local elections like Cambridge Ma and other places. Also-when one does not need to produce id to vote or in the case of states that give driver's licenses to illegals well that just opens the door to voter fraud. In Maryland-as discussed previously by, I believe, Benicar-you get your license then you can fill out voter registration and stuff it in a box. Since illegals get driver's licenses in Maryland-what is to stop them from filling out the voter form if no one there monitors it? Also-despite not being allowed to vote-Hillary, Obama and McCain have all pandered to illegal aliens in one way or another. Remember Hillary during the Nevada Caucus?

Also-in areas that have large illegal alien populations-there is congressional redistricting going on. Even though they are not citizens and don't officially have the right to vote-their huge numbers are helping some areas to gain congressional seats and other areas to lose them. So much for congressional representation of Americans.

Nicolem

Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,747,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Illegal aliens are already affecting voting and politics. While illegals "technically" don't have the right to vote in federal elections-they do in some local elections like Cambridge Ma and other places. Also-when one does not need to produce id to vote or in the case of states that give driver's licenses to illegals well that just opens the door to voter fraud. In Maryland-as discussed previously by, I believe, Benicar-you get your license then you can fill out voter registration and stuff it in a box. Since illegals get driver's licenses in Maryland-what is to stop them from filling out the voter form if no one there monitors it? Also-despite not being allowed to vote-Hillary, Obama and McCain have all pandered to illegal aliens in one way or another. Remember Hillary during the Nevada Caucus?

Also-in areas that have large illegal alien populations-there is congressional redistricting going on. Even though they are not citizens and don't officially have the right to vote-their huge numbers are helping some areas to gain congressional seats and other areas to lose them. So much for congressional representation of Americans.

Nicolem
What is preventing the millions of greencard holders, student visa holders and those here temporarily from voting? Since they all hold valid drivers licenses?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
What is preventing the millions of greencard holders, student visa holders and those here temporarily from voting? Since they all hold valid drivers licenses?
Well gee I guess nothing. If someone wants to vote fraudently, I guess they will find a way to do it. None of them should be voting. The OP was referring to illegals and that is what I responded to.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Good catch there--------and, those potential loopholes for fraudulent voting need to be closed.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I think rather than be ONE party, it will be hundreds of parties in the future. We'll be like those countries who have riots after elections, and put someone else in, even though he/she didn't get the votes.

There will be the Hispanic Party, the Gay Party, the Senior Party, the Black Party, the Illegal Immigrant Party, the Native Party, the Naturalized Citizens' Party, the Muslim Party, the Christian Party, the Jewish Party, and on and on. More and more separation of our population, which is happening right now. Everyone will be part of some "special interest".

We're going to have one hell of a country, with no cohesion in language, values, or anything else. I'll be glad to be gone - glad I'm not a young person just growing up.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think rather than be ONE party, it will be hundreds of parties in the future. We'll be like those countries who have riots after elections, and put someone else in, even though he/she didn't get the votes.

There will be the Hispanic Party, the Gay Party, the Senior Party, the Black Party, the Illegal Immigrant Party, the Native Party, the Naturalized Citizens' Party, the Muslim Party, the Christian Party, the Jewish Party, and on and on. More and more separation of our population, which is happening right now. Everyone will be part of some "special interest".

We're going to have one hell of a country, with no cohesion in language, values, or anything else. I'll be glad to be gone - glad I'm not a young person just growing up.

I am afraid that I agree that what you wrote is certainly a possibility. It is very sad. We are the great American melting pot no more.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post

Nicolem
i am sorry, but the way i view what you're saying is totally different. i actually feel that illegal immigrants should at least get some respect from us, bacause they are doing jobs that u.s citizens (americans)wouldn't normally do. And i understand that it isn't "fair" if they can actually get to vote in Maryland but these people need change as well and they need an opportunity in this country; since they don't have it in their countries. i believe that we also have to remember where our ancestors came from and that they experienced hardships during those years; but they all did it for the future of their families and that's why america became a powerful nation. i don't think that illegal aliens are affecting voting and politics in a bad way in fact; i feel that the hispanic vote had major influence in this election( in a good way for latinos and minorities) because their vote made a lot of difference and that will help them because governments see which voices want to be heard. i want to keep faith in my government and if this is a democracy created for the people and by the people, then i believe that this constitution and this government should be available for illegal immigrants as well.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erivds09 View Post
i am sorry, but the way i view what you're saying is totally different. i actually feel that illegal immigrants should at least get some respect from us, bacause they are doing jobs that u.s citizens (americans)wouldn't normally do. And i understand that it isn't "fair" if they can actually get to vote in Maryland but these people need change as well and they need an opportunity in this country; since they don't have it in their countries. i believe that we also have to remember where our ancestors came from and that they experienced hardships during those years; but they all did it for the future of their families and that's why america became a powerful nation. i don't think that illegal aliens are affecting voting and politics in a bad way in fact; i feel that the hispanic vote had major influence in this election( in a good way for latinos and minorities) because their vote made a lot of difference and that will help them because governments see which voices want to be heard. i want to keep faith in my government and if this is a democracy created for the people and by the people, then i believe that this constitution and this government should be available for illegal immigrants as well.
Try again.

If the greedy employers out there paid proper wages.................there would be no need for new de facto 'slaves'. Last time I checked: slavery was outlawed ca. 1863.

Illegal immigrants are criminals------------they have the same rights as any other lawbreaker. The US Constitution is only meant for US citizens and green card holders to a lesser degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration