Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times

Advertisements

I speak Spanish, but I also do not support illegal immigration. I grew up speaking Spanish, I have friends whom I speak Spanish with. I always laugh when people say we are racist or "ignorant" because we are not supporters of the huge Hispanic illegal immigrant population. I was just reading a local Spanish-language newsletter (paper) and I noticed that the information that is in Spanish is totally different than the information in English. They have the stories in Spanish and then have the English-version on the other side. Each week, I notice that they give different information to the English-speakers than they do to the Spanish speakers. A whole section in the English translation will be missing, but something more relating to illegal immigrants or the illegal immigrant topic will be present in the Spanish translation. For instance, they wrote something about health reform. The English translation did not contain the point that illegal immigrants could be fined for not buying insurance even though they can't, yet, the Spanish translation did. In the past, an article written about the Census forms did not contain information that you can't be deported if you complete the form in the English translation, but it did in the Spanish translation.

These were supposed to be direct translations of the articles, but they are not. This to me is very telling of the sneaky ways that many of this "Hispanic" groups and services are trying to fool the population or how they are working to support undocumented people. They act like they aren't just for Hispanics or that they are just providing community services.

Pay attention to that if you speak Spanish and see if you notice the little ways that groups, businesses and publications try to reach out to illegal immigrants or inform them of loopholes, etc.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:25 PM

555 posts, read 877,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I speak Spanish, but I also do not support illegal immigration. I grew up speaking Spanish, I have friends whom I speak Spanish with. I always laugh when people say we are racist or "ignorant" because we are not supporters of the huge Hispanic illegal immigrant population. I was just reading a local Spanish-language newsletter (paper) and I noticed that the information that is in Spanish is totally different than the information in English. They have the stories in Spanish and then have the English-version on the other side. Each week, I notice that they give different information to the English-speakers than they do to the Spanish speakers. A whole section in the English translation will be missing, but something more relating to illegal immigrants or the illegal immigrant topic will be present in the Spanish translation. For instance, they wrote something about health reform. The English translation did not contain the point that illegal immigrants could be fined for not buying insurance even though they can't, yet, the Spanish translation did. In the past, an article written about the Census forms did not contain information that you can't be deported if you complete the form in the English translation, but it did in the Spanish translation.

These were supposed to be direct translations of the articles, but they are not. This to me is very telling of the sneaky ways that many of this "Hispanic" groups and services are trying to fool the population or how they are working to support undocumented people. They act like they aren't just for Hispanics or that they are just providing community services.

Pay attention to that if you speak Spanish and see if you notice the little ways that groups, businesses and publications try to reach out to illegal immigrants or inform them of loopholes, etc.
Great post. I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. I bought the Rosetta Stone Spanish course, but haven't started it yet. I live in AZ and want to be able to speak the language since so many jobs require bilingual.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Yep, I'm always brushing up on my Spanish skills because I'm not going to let the businesses and even the government use the "You-don't-speak-Spanish" excuse on me. To add to my first post, I wouldn't be surprised if these advocacy groups are using Spanish language as a code to basically help illegal immigrants. This is all the more reason for US citizens and legal residents to learn Spanish and to actually learn it well. There's no telling what they are exchanging as far as information or guidance if you don't speak Spanish. Law enforcement should also speak Spanish. Most people who are reading Spanish aren't going to be like those of us who oppose illegal immigration, so they probably just say whatever, thinking no one is looking or reading.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Yep, I'm always brushing up on my Spanish skills because I'm not going to let the businesses and even the government use the "You-don't-speak-Spanish" excuse on me. To add to my first post, I wouldn't be surprised if these advocacy groups are using Spanish language as a code to basically help illegal immigrants. This is all the more reason for US citizens and legal residents to learn Spanish and to actually learn it well. There's no telling what they are exchanging as far as information or guidance if you don't speak Spanish. Law enforcement should also speak Spanish. Most people who are reading Spanish aren't going to be like those of us who oppose illegal immigration, so they probably just say whatever, thinking no one is looking or reading.
You do realize that forcing native English speakers to learn Spanish in order to get a job is discrimination, don't you? Why should we have to learn the language of the invaders to get a job in our own country? It is getting to be a requirement with teachers, fire fighters, law enforcement and many other jobs. It is utter nonsense!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You do realize that forcing native English speakers to learn Spanish in order to get a job is discrimination, don't you? Why should we have to learn the language of the invaders to get a job in our own country? It is getting to be a requirement with teachers, fire fighters, law enforcement and many other jobs. It is utter nonsense!
I think you took what I was saying in a different way. Calm down, lol, I am saying that it is beneficial to learn Spanish to be able to keep up with their covert tactics of spreading the pro-illegal immigrant propaganda. Which sounds weird to me, but unfortunately, that's what they do and I always find it fun to see their ways of communicating to the illegal immigrant population. For instance, I just read a Spanish version of a US Census ad directed towards illegal immigrants. It basically tells them, "We won't investigate your legal status." That's fine and what not because they want to know our "snapshot," but I love how illegal immigrants are assured of things.

Last edited by SoEdible; 04-25-2010 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 07:32 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Really?

So if a personal fitness trainer job requires for the applicant to be in good physical shape, its discriminating to fat out of shape applicants?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Well quite frankly, I don't think it would be very enticing to a future client to see a fat, out of shape personal fitness trainer, do you? So yeah, their resume would probably be "filed for future reference". What's your point?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Lol

Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Well quite frankly, I don't think it would be very enticing to a future client to see a fat, out of shape personal fitness trainer, do you? So yeah, their resume would probably be "filed for future reference". What's your point?
Exposing ignorance is my point sir,

there is nothing wrong with speaking Spanish. Half of my customers speak mostly Spanish because they feel its more comfortable to communicate. I really dont feel like denying them material delivery just because they cant or wont speak English to me, the money is the same

Edit: Granted i have came close to just hanging up some some strait out chutaros because I couldnt understand what he was saying, LOL

Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Really?

So if a personal fitness trainer job requires for the applicant to be in good physical shape, its discriminating to fat out of shape applicants?
I see no problem NOT mandating Spanish (or any other tongue outside of English) as a job requirement here in the USA--------with the obvious exceptions of the CIA, State Department, etc. or where specific situations mandate knowledge of another language for public health/safety/business concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.