Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,289,950 times

Advertisements

I have a cousin who is looking for work and it is getting desperate for him. He is wanting to work in restaurants and he tells me that many places tell him that they are not hiring or that they have chosen to go with someone else.

I grew up working in restaurants and I know that most of the restaurants (about 85%) were employing illegal workers. How do I know? Because I speak Spanish and English and we would talk about the culture of illegal immigration with the workers who were here illegally. Some of the restaurants that my cousin has applied for were the restaurants I worked at and I am positive that they still employ illegal workers because I still see the same workers there or it is an educated assumption.

So, my question is what does one do when he or she knows that a family member, friend or just anyone else has been denied work while there are illegal immigrants working in the very same business.

It seems to me that situations like this are all the evidence that is needed to show the government and pro-illegal immigration people that illegal immigration is really hurting people. My cousin is struggling and it is very disappointing that he was born in the United States and he can't even get a $8.00/hour job in a restaurant to make at least $600 or so a pay period to have a better life.

Why is it that people don't understand that this is happening and want to protect and stand up for the LEGAL resident and even more: the legal resident and worker that was actually born in this country?

They say that illegal immigrants are doing jobs that "Americans" don't want to do, but I knew that was untrue a long time ago.

It really, really bothers me when I know (for fact) that there are tons of illegal immigrants up in restaurants, cleaning services, hotels, and many other industries that are working, making money, yet, those who are legal are getting turned away. Of course, employers are to blame as well as the illegal workers, but what can one do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,143,674 times
My first question is how does your cousin know they are illegals?
The second question is if he knows they are illegals for a fact has he called ICE?
I agree with you illegals do hurt the american unemployed. But too many fence sitters opt to ignore this because they havnt felt the pain. Well they arent bad guys right? They built my fence for half what a contractor wanted.
Hey they cut my grass for half what a licensed landscaper charges.
Hey their kids attend our schools and they dont pay taxes other than sales tax......
Hey they are driving on our roads unisured and without a license. Often unable to read english.
Have your cousin post the name of the resturaunt so that others know and have the option of boycotting that establishment.
I know I would.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:11 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,289,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
My first question is how does your cousin know they are illegals?
The second question is if he knows they are illegals for a fact has he called ICE?
I agree with you illegals do hurt the american unemployed. But too many fence sitters opt to ignore this because they havnt felt the pain. Well they arent bad guys right? They built my fence for half what a contractor wanted.
Hey they cut my grass for half what a licensed landscaper charges.
Hey their kids attend our schools and they dont pay taxes other than sales tax......
Hey they are driving on our roads unisured and without a license. Often unable to read english.
Have your cousin post the name of the resturaunt so that others know and have the option of boycotting that establishment.
I know I would.
Your first question was answered in my post.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,484,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I have a cousin who is looking for work and it is getting desperate for him. He is wanting to work in restaurants and he tells me that many places tell him that they are not hiring or that they have chosen to go with someone else.

I grew up working in restaurants and I know that most of the restaurants (about 85%) were employing illegal workers. How do I know? Because I speak Spanish and English and we would talk about the culture of illegal immigration with the workers who were here illegally. Some of the restaurants that my cousin has applied for were the restaurants I worked at and I am positive that they still employ illegal workers because I still see the same workers there or it is an educated assumption.

So, my question is what does one do when he or she knows that a family member, friend or just anyone else has been denied work while there are illegal immigrants working in the very same business.

It seems to me that situations like this are all the evidence that is needed to show the government and pro-illegal immigration people that illegal immigration is really hurting people. My cousin is struggling and it is very disappointing that he was born in the United States and he can't even get a $8.00/hour job in a restaurant to make at least $600 or so a pay period to have a better life.

Why is it that people don't understand that this is happening and want to protect and stand up for the LEGAL resident and even more: the legal resident and worker that was actually born in this country?

They say that illegal immigrants are doing jobs that "Americans" don't want to do, but I knew that was untrue a long time ago.

It really, really bothers me when I know (for fact) that there are tons of illegal immigrants up in restaurants, cleaning services, hotels, and many other industries that are working, making money, yet, those who are legal are getting turned away. Of course, employers are to blame as well as the illegal workers, but what can one do?
Peopel aint mad enough to raise hell, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration