Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 03:32 PM

77 posts, read 145,946 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've lived in the States for 11 years. I am 21. Mt parents, they won a green-card in 1999. They sold their apartment for 40,000 dollars (We are from Central Europe) and moved to Tucson, Arizona.
My parents applied for citizenship when I was 17, but by the time they got theirs I was already 18. Because of that I have to pay the whole process of doing it myself and so on. They are professionals, and since the Taxation process is exactly the same for Residents and Citizens I think that is why they procrastinated with the process. My dad is a business owner and my mother is a CPA.
( I personally think it's because my mother owns real estate assets in Europe worth 60,000 and she was afraid that when she would become a US citizen the apartment would not be in her name. She was right, she had a lot of problems claiming it under her name after she came back there. Even though she was paying taxes on the property)

Back to the main point.

I know before I went to Mexico, (In 2009) all you needed was a green-card. I had that on me when I went across the border.. Always.
I even once forgot it in 2010 when I went to Rocky Point with four of my University of Arizona Fraternity Brothers just as a weekend-get-away trip.
The funny thing is...
They didn't even question me when I was coming back.
I knew what question they were going to ask ... "Are you a citizen"? they base the decision off faith.
I was completely honest about it.
I said "No I was not". Before they even asked me, I already had my license out, my University-College ID and my VISA GOLD to show all of the names registered under the exact first / last name.

The border-patrol guard looked at me like I was a freak. He let me go through in 15 seconds.

Of course I won't do that this time since I know there are new laws in place. Is a green-card not enough this time around, should I go to the Immigration Office and put a request for a Travel-Passport as soon as possible?

I am not up for taking any risks with the Border Patrol this time around, even If I didn't get in trouble in the first place. There is a VERY high probability I will not be lucky this time around. (Even with an up-to-date Green-Card) I am completely aware of that at this point.

Last edited by az461; 09-07-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,860,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az461 View Post
...Back to the main point.

I know before I went to Mexico, (In 2009) all you needed was a green-card. I had that on me when I went across the border.. Always.
I even once forgot it in 2010 when I went to Rocky Point with four of my University of Arizona Fraternity Brothers just as a weekend-get-away trip.
The funny thing is...
They didn't even question me when I was coming back.
I knew what question they were going to ask ... "Are you a citizen"? they base the decision off faith.
I was completely honest about it.
I said "No I was not". Before they even asked me, I already had my license out, my University-College ID and my VISA GOLD to show all of the names registered under the exact first / last name.

The border-patrol guard looked at me like I was a freak. He let me go through in 15 seconds.

Of course I won't do that this time since I know there are new laws in place. Is a green-card not enough this time around, should I go to the Immigration Office and put a request for a Travel-Passport as soon as possible?

I am not up for taking any risks with the Border Patrol this time around, even If I didn't get in trouble in the first place. There is a VERY high probability I will not be lucky this time around. (Even with an up-to-date Green-Card) I am completely aware of that at this point.
A Legal Permanent Resident (of any age) only needs their Resident Card ("Green Card") to cross into the United States at a Port of Entry. No foreign passport is required. You did everything absolutely correctly.

The CBP Officer was probably confused by your Other Than Mexican appearance. I've seen a car with Canadian license plates get waved through a Border Patrol checkpoint in New Mexico. Welcome to the United States of Confusion.

Since you are over the age of 18, you must carry your Resident Card with you everywhere until you naturalize. Continue to state that you are not a U.S. citizen when asked by immigration and law enforcement officers (false claim to U.S. citizenship means a lifetime ban, with no chance of a waiver). Good luck on your naturalization when you apply (are you perchance German, as they have no recognition of dual citizenship?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration