Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

O.K. fair minded people I have had enough of this garbage the Los Angeles Times spews on a daily basis in support of illegals, and slanting numbers and distorting the reality of what is REALLY going on in the state of California.

Here is my letter to two Los Angeles Times writers in response to the article they posted in the paper Friday, July 10, 2009.

Illegal immigrants again in the budget spotlight - Los Angeles Times

Read the article in the link above.. my response to it is below:

Ms. Gorman & Ms. Watanabe,

I want to begin by saying I have never written a letter to the Los Angeles Times newspaper or any writer/reporter for any reason whatsoever, but when I read your article which is referenced above I felt compelled to ask questions and these questions are directed at both of you.

I am curious to know why you selected the words "illegal immigrant" when referring to incarcerated felons who are in our jails, and "illegal residents" to describe people who are "illegal aliens" who live in the state of California and Los Angeles County? The correct legal term for their status is "non-resident alien". They may reside in the state, however they are not residents because they are here unlawfully. A "resident" is someone who resides in this state, and nation legally. They have no claim to "residency" because that term is only for people who are here lawfully. Why does the Los Angeles Times continually use the word "illegal resident" when referring to people who are living here against the law?

This link provides information with regard to the proper terminology which you should use in the future when writing articles on this subject. http://www.finsvc.duke.edu/tax/student/foreign.php

Although use of the term "illegal resident" may be "politically correct" you have provided misleading information in your article which does not benefit your readers, it only serves to confuse what is a very simple condition. People who enter the United States against the law are non-resident aliens and are not "illegal residents".

In your article you gave a number for the quantity of "illegal residents" in the state of California to be estimated at 2.7 million people.

You also provided a number of 48,000 to be the number of households with U.S. Citizen born children (100,000 children in total for those households). The figure you give would mean that of 48,000 households headed by illegal immigrant parents there are 2 U.S. Citizen children per household.

I want to know how 2.7 million people can have 56.25 people per household? i.e. (2,700,000 / 48,000 = 56.25).

It's impossible for 2.7 million people to be split into households of 56 people each. The numbers are flawed.

This means that there are far more illegals in California than are being accounted for.

In the education section of your article, you note that the Pew Hispanic Center says there are 300,000 illegal alien children in public schools in California, there is no year provided for reference to substantiate that number. Do those numbers come from 1999, or 2009? When?

Please stop using the Pew Hispanic Center for your figures because their studies are biased and slanted to present a very cloudy picture of the truth. Until a definitive unbiased study is performed on the cost of illegal immigration to the state of California is performed everything is conjecture and you are not giving a clear picture of what the reality is for the taxpayer.

I would also like to note that you mention that your article says illegal aliens pay "taxes". The reality is they only pay taxes on services. You ignored the fact that the sales tax in Los Angeles County has been hiked to 9.75% from 8.25%. This was done for no other reason than to acquire higher taxes from all "residents" both legal and illegal on services and purchases to offset the cost of illegals in Los Angeles county.

You also mention Proposition 187 in your article which the voters of California passed in 1994, yet you fail to provide any numbers on the cost savings to the state had this proposition been upheld and initiated. I would like to challenge you both as Los Angeles Times writers/reporters to investigate and be the first honest Los Angeles Times writers/reporters to tell your very interested readers, citizens of Los Angeles County, and the state of California how much money the State of California would have saved had Proposition 187 been allowed to stand and not have been repealed. That would surely be a newspaper article worth reading.

You finish your article with a couple of paragraphs on Delia Godinez and her struggle here as an illegal alien supporting five children. I find it very interesting that she came here with only one child, and saw fit to have FOUR children in the United States to collect $1,150.00 in aid per month, which you note is $650.00 per month in state welfare and $500.00 in federal food stamps. Even Delia Godinez knows that the money you collect in welfare aid correlates with the number of children you have. Her story alone contradicts the figures you have provided in your article with regard to the 48,000 illegals heading households with 100,000 legal U.S. resident children.

The information you give in your story only makes sense when you calculate (and use the figures you provide) that 48,000 illegals are head of household to 100,000 legal U.S. citizen which equals two children per household, but Delia Godinez' story blows those figures out of the water because she has four children. How many other non-resident aliens are ripping off the state of California and the federal government of taxpayer funds as Delia Godinez? This makes the numbers you post for illegals in California invalid by this standard alone.

The Los Angeles Times should stop pandering to the special interest groups which support of illegal aliens. It is apparent in every article that your newspaper publishes that you are disseminating misleading information. The truth is out there please do a better job of reporting it.

I look forward to an email from either or both of you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

(LuckyGem)

Last edited by LuckyGem; 07-11-2009 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
The State of California has collapsed on the backside of Illegal Immigration and NOBODY not even the Press WILL GIVE AN UNBIASED ACCOUNT OF THE TRUTH!

When I read this article it was the final straw.

Will it help? Probably not. They're all Drones down there writing for the Los Angeles Times but I sincerely hope they will read my rebuttal and I will post the response from the writers when I receive it on this thread!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:33 PM

706 posts, read 939,999 times
"Will it help? Probably not. They're all Drones down there writing for the times but I sincerely hope they will read my rebuttal and I will post the response from the writers when I receive it on this thread"

I'll be looking forward to how they respond ( If in fact they do respond),but my guess is that it will be some generic reply filled with more of their PC blather that supports their views....

Either way,one hell of a letter...

Props to You...

Old 07-11-2009, 12:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You finish your article with a couple of paragraphs on Delia Godinez and her struggle here as an illegal alien supporting five children. I find it very interesting that she came here with only one child, and saw fit to have FOUR children in the United States to collect $1,150.00 in aid per month, which you note is $650.00 per month in state welfare and $500.00 in federal food stamps. Even Delia Godinez knows that the money you collect in welfare aid correlates with the number of children you have. Her story alone contradicts the figures you have provided in your article with regard to the 48,000 illegals heading households with 100,000 legal U.S. resident children. (LuckyGem)
I cannot tell you how much this infuriates me. We hear over and over again, the sob-story claim of illegals: "We came here so our children could have a better life." But so many of them come with one child (or even no children), and then have more after they are here. So that blows their bull-sh*t claim of why they came here right out of the water.

Having children after they get to the U.S. is a scam and a con game that the illegals have down to a science. And they've been getting away with it for decades. I have no compassion or sympathy for these lying, cheating freeloaders or their children.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:02 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The State of California has collapsed on the backside of Illegal Immigration and NOBODY not even the Press WILL GIVE AN UNBIASED ACCOUNT OF THE TRUTH!

When I read this article it was the final straw.

Will it help? Probably not. They're all Drones down there writing for the Los Angeles Times but I sincerely hope they will read my rebuttal and I will post the response from the writers when I receive it on this thread!
The 'fat lady' has yet to warm up...................

Trust me: when California has enough------------that state will turn against the illegals in its midst, to be very polite.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:02 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Nice letter. I doubt they'll listen, but I applaud your attempt.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
All else equal, the numbers you obtained for your "math" are unrelated.

The article states that there are 2,700,000 illegal immigrants (people) living in CA, total.

The 48,000 number is completely unrelated, because that 48,000 only includes households that are headed by an illegal immigrant with U.S. born children, and does not include households headed by illegal immigrants without U.S. born children, nor does it include households without any children at all.

Unfortunately, the point you were trying to make there is moot.

From the article:
Quote:
Many companies that hire illegal workers also withhold Social Security and income taxes from their paychecks, based on workers' invalid Social Security numbers. That money goes mostly to the federal government, not to localities. The Social Security Administration estimates that in 2007, illegal residents nationwide contributed a net of $12 billion to the system.
While I agree that illegal immigrants do not pay their fair share of taxes, you left out the fact that some do pay SSN taxes to the Feds, and I can verify this with direct experience with me having previously worked in a Southern CA chain restaurant.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
All else equal, the numbers you obtained for your "math" are unrelated.

The article states that there are 2,700,000 illegal immigrants (people) living in CA, total.

The 48,000 number is completely unrelated, because that 48,000 only includes households that are headed by an illegal immigrant with U.S. born children, and does not include households headed by illegal immigrants without U.S. born children, nor does it include households without any children at all.

Unfortunately, the point you were trying to make there is moot.

From the article:

While I agree that illegal immigrants do not pay their fair share of taxes, you left out the fact that some do pay SSN taxes to the Feds, and I can verify this with direct experience with me having previously worked in a Southern CA chain restaurant.
Using a SSN that is not yours constitutes fraud and illegal aliens cannot receive Socials as it is..................so we are now discussing Felonies.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
The LA Times will never print a letter that has even a grain of truth so I would not expect yours to be published. California will continue to decay because of illegal immigration.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Using a SSN that is not yours constitutes fraud and illegal aliens cannot receive Socials as it is..................so we are now discussing Felonies.
Duh. The illegals are already committing a crime simply by being here, yet you expect them to obey all other laws/rules as well? I didn't say using someone else's SSN was legal, I said that it occurs.

If the argument is "illegals don't pay taxes", in some cases they do, even if they do it in a fraudulent way. Would requiring all illegal immigrants to pay taxes solve the problem?

SSN's and green cards can be picked up at some local carnicerias. The untrained eye will immediately tell you that they are fake, but in the case of the restaurant I was employed at, the management simply looked the other way, and used the excuse that American cooks/busboys never seemed to work out, or work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration