Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,686,959 times

Advertisements

He comes in on a tourist visa with no intention of leaving. After his visa expired he becomes illegal.

Your thoughts on the situation and full story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,017,607 times
How does someone here illegally obtain a SS# and card?

Bill the nearest Mexican consulate for his care and instruct them make arrangements with his wife to have him transported to a hospital in Mexico.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:33 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,858,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
He comes in on a tourist visa with no intention of leaving. After his visa expired he becomes illegal.

Your thoughts on the situation and full story?
Is he not now a Legal Permanent Resident if he has his "Green Card" and a Social Security number?...

Sorry, unless he violates the conditions of his residency, the U.S. cannot deport or remove him...

He can lose his residency status if he is outside the United States for more than a year without permission (and as a Legal Permanent Resident, CBP could also refuse him re-entry on a shorter trip), so someone representing his best interests should have him remain here for better medical care options...

Not an illegal immigration topic...

Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Is he not now a Legal Permanent Resident if he has his "Green Card" and a Social Security number?...

Sorry, unless he violates the conditions of his residency, the U.S. cannot deport or remove him...

He can lose his residency status if he is outside the United States for more than a year without permission (and as a Legal Permanent Resident, CBP could also refuse him re-entry on a shorter trip), so someone representing his best interests should have him remain here for better medical care options...

Not an illegal immigration topic...
He is an illegal. His tourist visa expired if you read the story, which made him legal. Only recently he applied for a green card. So he is still illegal.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
He is an illegal. His tourist visa expired if you read the story, which made him legal. Only recently he applied for a green card. So he is still illegal.
If he has been assigned a Social Security number (meaning work authorization) it shows he now has legal residency...

Please try to keep up...

Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
If he has been assigned a Social Security number (meaning work authorization) it shows he now has legal residency...

Please try to keep up...
No you keep up & read the article. I know what he is.

He became illegal after his tourist visa expired. He applied for a green card recently. This does not make him a citizen.
He is not an American citizen. His government in Mexico is responsible for him.

Quote:
Cornelio has no insurance. Nor is he a citizen. According to his family, Cornelio entered the U.S. on a tourist visa several years ago. Only recently did he apply for a green card, and he received his Social Security card just this past weekend. But because Cornelio has not been a legal resident for at least five years, he is not eligible for Medicaid.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:24 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,877,648 times
Make him a true American and let him do without health care. I just paid a $600 hospital bill and my premiums on my health care went up. It disgusts me that I'm supposed to pay for MY health care and apparently that of an illegal alien. Even if he is some form of legal immigrant he's not supposed to be a burden on Americans so he should be deported back home on those grounds.

Mexico has the world's richest man and NHC. Let his fellow Mexicans take care of him.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:26 PM

Also he had no intent on leaving with his tourist visa.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
No you keep up & read the article. I know what he is.

He became illegal after his tourist visa expired. He applied for a green card recently. This does not make him a citizen.
He is not an American citizen. His government in Mexico is responsible for him.
Quote:
Cornelio has no insurance. Nor is he a citizen. According to his family, Cornelio entered the U.S. on a tourist visa several years ago. Only recently did he apply for a green card, and he received his Social Security card just this past weekend. But because Cornelio has not been a legal resident for at least five years, he is not eligible for Medicaid.
Sigh...

Back to basics a little bit...

A Legal Permanent Resident has legal status in the United States as a Legal Permanent Resident. All Legal Permanent Residents are work-authorized, and are able to be issued a Social Security number. Legal Permanent Residents are normally not able to access government benefits like Medicaid, until they have been a Legal Permanent Resident for a period of five years, or naturalize to U.S. citizenship (an exception is LPR servicemembers and their families).

His status here is as a Legal Permanent Resident. The United States cannot remove him unless he violates the terms of his legal residency. He is still a Foreign National from Mexico, but his Legal Permanent Resident status preempts him for rights within the United States.

It's time for another offer, but I want to see it with reciprocal conditions. If you are certain that he doesn't currently have legal residence (i.e. is not an illegal alien), put your conditions on the table. From that, I will consider if we can make a matching agreement.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 PM

327 posts, read 320,785 times
He came here under false petense. And he is still not a citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration