Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
...I would guess just about everyone in Juarez has one of these cards so they can come over and shop because all it takes is to claim to be a Mexican citizen and have some kind of ties with Mexico. The ties are supposed to guarantee that the card holder would return home but we all know what a joke that is.
Everyone but those that have a Border Crossing Card? My Brother-In-Law and his sons don´t have these ¨shopping passes/visas¨, nor have they likely heard of them. Next time we chat by phone, I will ask.

Any expiry dates on the ¨card¨? Are they issued by the U.S. Consulate in Juarez, or at the Port of Entries? Any online data about them on the official sites?

I was even wondering if you could scan one, blot out specific identifying information, and post it for us to see?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Everyone but those that have a Border Crossing Card? My Brother-In-Law and his sons don´t have these ¨shopping passes/visas¨, nor have they likely heard of them. Next time we chat by phone, I will ask.

Any expiry dates on the ¨card¨? Are they issued by the U.S. Consulate in Juarez, or at the Port of Entries? Any online data about them on the official sites?

I was even wondering if you could scan one, blot out specific identifying information, and post it for us to see?...
Tell them to just ask for the non-immigrant visa cards. Funny they don't know, they must be quite new to Juarez if they haven't learned of them.

Or next time you're in El Paso, just ask one of the "peatones" coming over the bridge to see what their card looks like, or head over to one of the downtown El Paso dollar stores and ask one of the shoppers how they came over to shop.

People all over Mexico know about the shopping visas. They come as far as Chihuahua and Mexico City to shop in the USA. -- Which is fine by the way, as long as they head back home when they're done shopping.

Oh - and don't forget to tell your relatives about the manifiestos, that means they don't pay sales taxes.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Tell them to just ask for the non-immigrant visa cards. Funny they don't know, they must be quite new to Juarez if they haven't learned of them.

Or next time you're in El Paso, just ask one of the "peatones" coming over the bridge to see what their card looks like, or head over to one of the downtown El Paso dollar stores and ask one of the shoppers how they came over to shop.

People all over Mexico know about the shopping visas. They come as far as Chihuahua and Mexico City to shop in the USA. -- Which is fine by the way, as long as they head back home when they're done shopping.

Oh - and don't forget to tell your relatives about the manifiestos, that means they don't pay sales taxes.
No, my Brother-In-Law´s family has lived in Juarez for decades, his sons are grown. One attended UTEP on a BCC. Another makes tourist arrangements.

So you still haven´t said exactly where these cards are issued. If locally, are Mexicans traveling from Chihuahua or DF (especially coming to Juarez) before they are issued one? A notion of ¨shopping¨ seems strange for the trip, especially because quite a bit of the downtown El Paso store goods and swap meet items are brought in from Mexico.

They don´t have dollar stores in Juarez or elsewhere in Mexico? Why not just go to the Wal-Marts there? On the face of it, I can´t imagine why some sort of ¨shopping¨ arrangement could quickly get these cards (and not paying taxes on the goods purchased), when my wife was held back for months because of her relationship to me.

No hints of a basic layout or online information?...

It´s just you are the only one I have ever heard refer to these cards...

EDIT: The U.S. DoS has Border Crossing Cards listed under their ¨Temporary Visitors to the U.S.¨ area, but nothing on these ¨shopping visas¨: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1266.html

Is there a more official name?...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 10-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Adding DoS website info...

Old 10-09-2011, 09:28 PM

I've prompted on the other thread where these "shopping visas" are issued...

Why do I have to wait until I come to El Paso again?...

If they are so common, and known about in Mexico, why aren't they known about here?...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
I always love it when you nitpick your opponents post every time you can and then get outraged if they do the same. And by you I mean most of you here, from both sides of this fence. It's the same with thread hijacks and strawman arguments. You do it without a 2nd thought yet cry foul when the other side does the same.
Being morally "right", whatever that means to you, is not a good enough reason to dismiss anything that doesn't fit your personal worldview. Taking part in a discussions means you, at least theoretically, admit that you might be wrong. There are several posters here that despite having strong views on the issue, remain open minded. Most however act like religious zealots. Unless this stops, threads will be closed and infractions/posting restrictions will be handled out.
Finally, we have some rules here. They are our local law. I really, really wouldn't mind if at least some of you started respecting them, since so many of you constantly stress how important the laws are. The others also should respect the rules, even if only to show they're not careless barbarians as they are often described.
I'm not going to close this and if anyone wants to discuss what I just wrote, you know where to find me.
Yac.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 AM

The official "Types of Visa for Temporary Visitors" doesn't have it, although at the bottom of the page there is the disclaimer that it may not list all of the non-immigrant visa types (it seems to be all the types I am aware of, and what you are referring to doesn't seem to be listed with the BCC and B1/B2 information)...

I was just looking for some background information and how these "shopping visas" are issued...

Hmmm?...

Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 PM

@ malamute

You've answered in another thread that U.S. Consulates in Mexico issue these "shopping visas" (for the lack of a more proper name that has been prompted for). By the wording of your reply, as well as previous statements (about Mexicans coming in from Chihuahua and Mexico City to use them), it sounds like more than just the U.S. Consulate located in Ciudad Juarez.

I've been all over the U.S. Embassy to Mexico pages, and I have only found leads for the Border Crossing cards and B1/B2 "Tourist" visas...

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visas/faq.html: (broken link)

Q: Which travel documents are required in order for a citizen of Mexico to enter the United States?
1. If you are a Mexican citizen who will be:
  • Traveling to the U.S. by air or sea, or
  • Entering at a land border with the states of Texas, New Mexico, or California with the intention of traveling beyond the 25 mile “border zone”, or
  • Entering at a the land border with the state of Arizona with the intention of traveling beyond the 70 mile Arizona “border zone”, or
  • Entering at a land border with the intention of staying in the U.S. for more than 72 hours, even if you plan to stay within the border zone,
You must present the following documents:
  • A visa or a Border Crossing Card that is valid on the date that you will enter the U.S. The visa or Border Crossing Card is necessary only for entry into the U.S. and does not have to be valid after the date on which you enter.
  • A passport that is valid until the date on which you intend to depart the U.S. U.S. immigration authorities will not authorize a period of stay that is longer than the validity of your passport.
2. If you are a Mexican Citizen who will be:
  • Entering at a land border with the states of Texas, New Mexico, or California and plan to remain within the 25 mile “border zone” for less than 72 hours, or
  • Entering at a the land border with the state of Arizona and you plan to remain within the 70 mile Arizona border zone for less than 72 hours
You must present the following documents:
  • A Border Crossing Card that is valid on the date that you enter the U.S. A passport is not necessary if your travel meets the criteria described immediately above.

- OR –
  • A visa that is valid on the date that you will enter the U.S. The visa is necessary only for entry into the U.S. and does not have to be valid after the date on which you enter, AND
  • A passport that is valid until the date on which you intend to depart the U.S. U.S. immigration authorities will not authorize a period of stay that is longer than the validity of your passport.

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/niv_steps.html: (broken link)

"All non-immigrant visa applicants (except K Fiancee visa applicants) applying for non immigrant visas are required to complete the DS-160 online application form. You MUST bring a confirmation page to your interview. The confirmation page will be provided after the DS-160 form is electronically transmitted. Print the DS-160 confirmation page and bring it to your interview..."

So, all non-immigrant visas require an interview. At one point, I think you even commented that there wasn't an issuance fee for the "shopping visas". But if we look at the fee structure online (http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/costofniv3.html): (broken link)

"Application processing fee for BCC (Laser Visas) B1/B2, F and J Visas Each applicant for these visas must pay $140 USD or the peso equivalent for the application fee. This non-refundable fee covers your visa application processing and interview.

Mexican citizen minors who have at least one parent or guardian who has a border crossing card or is applying for one may choose to pay a reduced fee of $14 USD for a border crossing card that will be valid for 10 years or until the minor reaches his or her 15th birthday, whichever comes first."

Does the U.S. Consulate not charge the "shopping visas" a fee for their application and interview, as well as making the card (the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City doesn't issue separate cards now, they imprint the visa into the Mexican passport) for free? For the Border Crossing Card ($140 for adults) there is a delay of a few weeks, and the card is sent by DHL to the applicant. The U.S. Consulate services in Mexico are picking up that fee, if there is a card issue (you referred to a card like the BCC, not a passport visa imprint)?

How long are the "shopping visas" valid (you stated they were multiple-entry, for "occasional" trips across the border)? How come there doesn't seem to be ANY online information from official DoS websites that explain these particular visas for entering the United States? You are welcome to correct me on any of the information I have listed above if it is in error.

Some posts back you also commented of the Los Paisanos bus terminal within the downtown shopping area. I am aware of the other several bus businesses there as well, and I rode the Los Limosines busline on a regular basis to visit my family while our applications were being processed. There are buses leaving from that same depot to go as far away as Los Angeles, Denver, and Dallas.

Are you implying that someone riding these buses with a "shopping visa" are not stopped at the Border Patrol checkpoints?...

There are still many unanswered questions about these "shopping visas", and I have even thought to get a comment from Port of Entry personnel in El Paso, or the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez for more clarity...

You seem to be the only one that has ever heard of this particular visa type, and the ease in which it can be gained...

Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 PM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
what a bunch of lies this report is. poor old Mexicans separated from their families. Oh poor victims. Hogwash.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:53 PM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wish they would just crack down and put a stop to this.

Have to add that I spent the weekend with my LEGAL husband, printing out forms from USCIS so that he can remove the conditions from his green card and become a permanent legal resident with no conditions.

This paperwork nonsense knows no limits and the amount of money they make you pay just to file the papers is always close to $1000.00. If he doesn't do this in time--oh, and PAY another $85 to get fingerprinted AGAIN he could be deported.

He has been here for three years and we are still paying off the initial fees that are in the thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Why do WE who did it the RIGHT WAY get treated like this, as opposed to the ILLEGALS who are always demanding their rights and really should have NO rights because they're not really here.
Yes very good points now you nohow the poor and middle class Americans feel having our tax dollars pay for these illegals when we can't afford medical dental and other necessities.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 PM

@ malamute:

You stated on the other thread about these "shopping visas" (//www.city-data.com/forum/21220008-post41.html):

"You can easily get that information first hand next time you're in El Paso. I already told you it's one of the "non-immigrant" visas that only requires Mexican citizenship and ties to Mexico (sure) that would indicate the visitor would return home when they should.

I know they don't cost any real amount of money because I know the kinds of people who have them but I never asked how much they actually cost them, I believe they cost nothing. Shoppers from Juarez use them all the time, and some actually honor the terms of their visa and do go back, but really there is nothing stopping them from just staying here.

They've always been convenient to use for getting over the border. One girl of 15 and her husband came over when she was pregnant of course, they were from Chihuahua and easily obtained a visitor visa. Of course they never went back, since she was going to have a baby, she found a relative to put them up and of course once the baby was born she qualified for WIC and food stamps and her own government-provided place to stay.

Another guy I know was caught by the border officials for coming over daily at the same time "to shop" and they took his card away. He got back over without it, but didn't have his car with him since that wasn't so easy to drive over without the card so he had to buy another car on this side. Now he can't go back and forth like he did before and just stays here working."

Is there any further clarifications (especially the more technical name the Department of State uses for these "shopping visas") or answers to the questions I have asked above?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration