Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

I want to clear something up with everyone. When the pundits on the internet and TV talk about "Hispanics", they specifically mean Mexican-Americans. I know people use Hispanic as a synonymous term for Mexican, but let's remember about the illegal alien debate. When the illegal alien supporters say these laws target "Hispanics" and frame it like it also targets Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Colombians, etc., take it at face value. The Mexican lobby in the U.S. wants to freak out other Hispanic groups and tie us in to the Mexican amnesty cause WHICH IS NOT OUR OWN. And to those that don't know, Mexicans make up 2/3 of the entire Hispanic population in the U.S., with the remaining 1/3 being shared with the other 18 different Hispanics. So let us remember, the "Hispanic" lobby is really the Mexican lobby

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-12-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I want to clear something up with everyone. When the pundits on the internet and TV talk about "Hispanics", they specifically mean Mexican-Americans. I know people use Hispanic as a synonymous term for Mexican, but let's remember about the illegal alien debate. When the illegal alien supporters say these laws target "Hispanics" and frame it like it also targets Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Colombians, etc., take it at face value. The Mexican lobby in the U.S. wants to freak out other Hispanic groups and tie us in to the Mexican amnesty cause WHICH IS NOT OUR OWN. And to those that don't know, Mexicans make up 2/3 of the entire Hispanic population in the U.S., with the remaining 1/3 being shared with the other 18 different Hispanics. So let us remember, the "Hispanic" lobby is really the Mexican lobby
Why don't we just trash the term hispanic altogether.
it is outdated and groups people together in a structure that no longer make sense (if it ever did). I think it also masks the cultural and ethnic differences between extremely diverse groups of people.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Why don't we just trash the term hispanic altogether.
it is outdated and groups people together in a structure that no longer make sense (if it ever did). I think it also masks the cultural and ethnic differences between extremely diverse groups of people.
That's what I hate about the term Hispanic. I have nothing in common with a Mexican except we both speak Spanish, and even that is a different brand. In Latin America, there is no such thing as a hispano/latinos when it comes to politics. Mexicans think themselves as Mexican, Panamanians think themselves as Panamanians. The term Hispanic was invented by U.S. pollsters to neatly categorize us because they assumed we're all the same because we all have Spanish last names

Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Time for you "hispanics" of Non-Mexican descent to speak up.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I wish we would, but most of the other Hispanics in the U.S. (except the Cubans and Commonwealth Puerto Ricans) buy into the lies and distortion of the Mexican lobby. I wonder how many of them know that Galavisión and Univisión, the so-called "Spanish channels" are run by Mexicans and those news anchors in the news segment are mostly Mexicans? And they cleverly use words like hispano and latino to refer to the Mexican community in the U.S. and the other groups think that they are talking about us too. Nothing can be further from the truth. Mostly the Puerto Ricans living in the U.S. need to start to realize that they have NOTHING to lose with these immigration enforcement laws. All of us were born U.S. citizens and NONE of us Puerto Ricans are anchor babies. But unfortunately the stateside Puerto Ricans buy into the propaganda which explains why Mexican appeasers like Luis Gutiérrez {D-Chicago} and Nydia Velásquez {D-NYC} (who are both Puerto Rican by the way) can get elected.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Thanks for speaking the truth. This is a Mexican illegal alien movement, period. And, I agree with LuckyGem, it’s time for others to speak up. Mexican illegal aliens have sullied the image of all Spanish-speaking immigrants, and citizens alike. Prior to their invasion, we did not have these issues. No one gave a second thought to hearing Spanish. Nor did anyone assume Hispanics were here illegally. Now, even Hispanics are questioning the status of other Hispanics. I know this is true, because I have close relationships with quite a few.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

I agree with you 100%. Somehow i do not see this happening, because things seem to get distorted.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
That's interesting and I have felt what you are saying before. I have Hispanic friends and for me that can men Mexican, Puerto Rican or even from Spain. However, to me, I think the media is in denial about who they are really talking about. The laws aren't really going to affect a lot of Hispanics other than those here from Mexico or a country near it by-way-of Mexico.

I noticed groups like La Raza aren't really marketing their message to Puerto Ricans or Cubans, anything like that. When you look into it and see their materials, it's about Mexican-Americans. To me, I don't think they can continue to try to hide from that. The truth is that most of our Hispanic population is of Mexican ancestry. (Hispanic Americans: Census Facts — Infoplease.com)

Quote:
66%
The percentage of Hispanic-origin people in the United States who were of Mexican background in 2008. Another 9 percent were of Puerto Rican background, with 3.4 percent Cuban, 3.4 percent Salvadoran and 2.8 percent Dominican. The remainder was of some other Central American, South American or other Hispanic or Latino origin. [LEFT]
Read more: Hispanic Americans: Census Facts — Infoplease.com Hispanic Americans: Census Facts — Infoplease.com
[/LEFT]
That's why it is frustrating when it really isn't about A PEOPLE, but about catering to one group of people; while pretending to be for a PEOPLE.

The U.S. is not going to be diversified, we're not talking about a Latin culture, they are really talking about nothing but one group from one place: Mexico. Then there is the other dynamic that is in play: politics. It should be about immigration, not politics.

Last edited by SoEdible; 07-12-2011 at 08:32 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 11:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
...I wonder how many of them know that Galavisión and Univisión, the so-called "Spanish channels" are run by Mexicans and those news anchors in the news segment are mostly Mexicans?...
Actually the anchors (news in this case, not babies) are varied in nationality on Univisión. And by a couple generations, those even on Mexican descent in the Southwest do not identify themselves as "Mexican-Americans", but the now more popular term of "Hispanic". Thanks for trying to change the categories - Benicar also finally lets on that Hispanics are profiled - but "Mexican" is not synonymous with "illegal alien".

Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
I want to clear something up with everyone. When the pundits on the internet and TV talk about "Hispanics", they specifically mean Mexican-Americans.
So you know what is on the minds of pundits and you feel that the rest of us don't that you have to create a thread to explain it to us.

I wish I had mind reading abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration