Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 PM

320 posts, read 297,386 times

Advertisements

I am so frustrated feeling as though I have no say in the illegal immigration issue. I was swimming in the pool in my apartment complex the other day and in the middle of nowhere 12 Mexicans came and all lounged around the pool and made me feel odd, I felt like they were waiting for -me- to leave. None of them spoke English (I know this because I tried to speak to one and nobody else around could understand, either).

First thing I wanted to do is call the cops and report this. People in my apartments are limited to one guest per resident. They all acted like family. I felt such disgrace in my American security knowing I would probably be laughed at if I reported possible illegal immigrants. Why is it like this? Do we not have say in what goes on in our country anymore? Why do these freeloaders get by with creating false social security numbers and receiving medical benefits?

End vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 08:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,644,363 times
no, keep venting. someone needs to take up where i left off-- about three years ago!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:31 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post

Why is it like this? Do we not have say in what goes on in our country anymore? Why do these freeloaders get by with creating false social security numbers and receiving medical benefits?

End vent.
It's because our politicians don't represent US citizens any more. They represent the campaign finance dollars that keep them in office.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 PM

273 posts, read 249,663 times
You cannot assume they are illegal just because they don't speak our language. If they were, consider the following from a previous thread:

"... I noticed a posted sign. It read:
"CUIDADO AMIGOS! LA MIGRA ESTA AQUI' A VECES."
It translates; "Be careful friends! Immigration is here at times."
...the end result was astounding."

Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 PM

320 posts, read 297,386 times
Pablo, you're telling me a group of young American's cannot speak English? Granted, they could have established citizenship the LEGAL way, but I doubt it. Children of illegal immigrants learn English because they go to American schools, but happen to know a mix of both languages.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:44 AM

382 posts, read 954,955 times
As legal Americans we have the ability to vote the Senators who voted for the immigration amnesty bill out of office for good. Just check out the Senate roll call and vote them out of office when their time is up. I'm in Texas and both of our Senators voted against the amnesty bill as they should have. We need to grill any new representatives, whether they are Congressmen, Senators, or the next President about their stand on illegal immigration, what they are going to do about it, and hold them to it if they are elected. Our country is being stolen from us each day with every new illegal that is allowed to cross the border and stay here. I believe this invasion is one of the greatest threats to the American fabric of life and our rule of law in my lifetime. Legal Americans need to get fired up because the illegals have a very strong lobby, that sadly includes many legal Americans, that is trying to make us (legal Americans) look like racists and hateful people. We are losing it; We are quickly becoming a Third World nation.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 AM

273 posts, read 249,663 times
I try not to predjudge. If you ask any immigration official, they'll agree a person who's lived here beyond a normal vacation timeframe and doesn't speak english is probably breaking our laws.
As for the posters problem, I just wanted to relate a simple solution that made an overnight difference in my neighborhood.

"... I noticed a posted sign. It read:
"CUIDADO AMIGOS! LA MIGRA ESTA AQUI' A VECES."
It translates; "Be careful friends! Immigration is here at times."
...the end result was astounding."

Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,458,535 times
Quote:
I am so frustrated feeling as though I have no say in the illegal immigration issue. I was swimming in the pool in my apartment complex the other day and in the middle of nowhere 12 Mexicans came and all lounged around the pool and made me feel odd, I felt like they were waiting for -me- to leave. None of them spoke English (I know this because I tried to speak to one and nobody else around could understand, either).

First thing I wanted to do is call the cops and report this. People in my apartments are limited to one guest per resident. They all acted like family. I felt such disgrace in my American security knowing I would probably be laughed at if I reported possible illegal immigrants. Why is it like this? Do we not have say in what goes on in our country anymore? Why do these freeloaders get by with creating false social security numbers and receiving medical benefits?

End vent.
Did you speak to your apartment manager? What are the rules regarding pool use? Was there an adult to supervise children, or were they all adults? Were they all non-residents of the apartment? At the very least, they could have been arrested for tresspassing if they don't belong there.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,577,882 times
Quote:

End vent.
How do you know they were illegals & not tourists? Do you just assume every brown skinned hispanic is an illegal?

Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,467,845 times
Why on earth would let that situation make you uncomfortable ? I would have gone in for a few more beers and sang God Bless America at the top of my lungs followed by the pledge followed by this land is my land, this land aint your land. You would be surprised how much english they actually know. I bet at least 9 of them would have laughed at you, one would have taken a tough guy stance and the others would have sung along !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration