Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times

Advertisements

The other day I was talking to my boyfriend about something similar... A criminal pretending he is an illegal alien in order to avoid prison, or an actual US citizen pretending to be an illegal to get in-state tuition and financial aid.

Man Avoids Jail By Faking Illegal Immigrant Status | Fox News

"A Utah man who claimed to be an illegal immigrant from Mexico to avoid going to prison is now wanted by police after he returned to the United States and acknowledged his true identity to a judge.

(...)

The charges stem from a 2010 arrest when Alvarado told Salt Lake City police, a Utah state courts judge and federal immigration officials that he was actually Saul Quiroz and had emigrated from Mexico illegally. At the time, Alvarado was facing up to 15 years in prison for the possession of cocaine and heroin with the intent to distribute."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
well....since we have no idea who IS actually here anyway...I'm not surprised he got away with it.

The government are a bunch of clueless boobs.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
He'll probably now sue the government - and win lots of money - for deporting him when he's got US citizenship.

I think they should have just kept him with his illegal identity and re-deported him, removed his US passport. Too many of these people have a number of aliases and stolen identities, they use them as convenient.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:09 AM

387 posts, read 591,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He'll probably now sue the government - and win lots of money - for deporting him when he's got US citizenship.

I think they should have just kept him with his illegal identity and re-deported him, removed his US passport. Too many of these people have a number of aliases and stolen identities, they use them as convenient.
You can't deport an American Citizen nor take away his passport or citizenship unless person agrees to do it on his own ICE can charge him
for lying to ICE officers in a federal court but he probably just get probation for that as it's a low level crime

Last edited by tigrs99; 11-04-2011 at 05:50 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 AM

327 posts, read 320,153 times
Thanks to our no id or question status policy.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:16 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,777 times
Oh yes....it would be an infringement on the rights of the illegals to ask for ID...yes...I remember now....Mr. Obama blocked that in the Arizona law. My bad.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
You can't deport an American Citizen nor take away his passport or citizenship unless person agrees to do it on his own ICE can charge him
for lying to ICE officers in a federal court but he probably just get probation for that as it's a low level crime
Well this guy has two identities (at least). With one he's an illegal alien, a citizen of Mexico. With the other he's a US citizen. Which one is he? He's the one who claimed he was an illegal -- so maybe that should have been the identity he was made to keep.

Many illegals actually have a number of identities, all with a different set of documents. They might be Jose Lopez Gomez and have Guatemalan birth certificate, but also they are Juan Jose Gonzales Gomez with a Mexican birth certificate and then they are also Joe Lopez with a US birth certificate also.

This guy probably is here illegally but decided he didn't like it back in his country, too much work to have to do there, he wanted the easy life of easy money back again so pulled out his US identity back out. It's very hard to tell which identity is the correct one with all the purchasing of birth certificates that's allowed to go on.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:59 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Oh yes....it would be an infringement on the rights of the illegals to ask for ID...yes...I remember now....Mr. Obama blocked that in the Arizona law. My bad.
Would it be an infringement if an officer stopped you at a crosswalk and asked for your ID?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Would it be an infringement if an officer stopped you at a crosswalk and asked for your ID?

Tall Rep was being sarcastic.

And now it wouldn't. I wouldn't mind at all.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:16 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Tall Rep was being sarcastic.

And now it wouldn't. I wouldn't mind at all.
Posting on an internet message board is cheap. You think you wouldn't have a problem, but that's probably because you don't ever envision yourself being inconvenienced by such laws.

I seem to remember a thread posted only yesterday in which there was near unanimous outrage that a white girl was arrested and detained for two days merely for not having her identification on her, after being charged with trespass. People were outraged, and understandably so -- because they could not envision a scenario in which such a ridiculous 'enforcement' of the law could or should happen to them as individuals. The fact that it actually did happen sent readers and forum participants into orbit.

Now, let's go back to the issue of laws that require people to prove their legal status in this country. I'm going to assume that people who are in favor of laws that force 'illegals' (like everyone can identify one just by looking at them) to produce identification that proves their status do so because they don't expect to deal with the consequences. In the minds of people on this thread, it's simple: if you're here legally, you've got nothing to worry about. And I would agree with that in the long term.

But I would also hazard a guess that such laws are going to ensnare people who are not the intended targets of this legislation. And I would hazard a guess that if it happens to be a white guy living in Tempe or Scottsdale, as opposed to hardcore Phoenix, that would constitute an outrage. That's the thing I notice about civil liberties: people are comfortable tinkering with someone else's liberties, but don't dare let someone else tinker with theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration