U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM

47,531 posts, read 67,127,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredston View Post
Some on here believe it's okay for even the most educated to stay here? No way. They are law breakers, anyone that is here illegally is breaking the law. Deport them and have them apply for citizenship. However, before deporting can be done, we have to secure the borders. If an illegal has been here for 20 years, has two generations, and is working, I could careless. Illegals have no SS#'s therefore cannot pay taxes. So not only have they been breaking the law for 20 years, in addition they have stolen money from the government by not paying taxes on the money they earn in the US. So we are going to forgive them for 20 years of breaking the law being here illegally and tax invasion for 20 years? How much moeny is that that they would owe on average? If I didn't pay for taxes for 20 years, can I be forgiven? Hell no, the IRS would get it somehow someway, including taking my home and valuble possesions. (Per Glen Beck) Great point. When people break the law and go to jail, isn't families being broken up as well? So now the Illegals are better then our own law breaking citizens? IF YOU ARE HERE ILLEGALLY, YOU SHOULD BE DEPORTED TO WHEREVER YOU CAME FROM. YOU APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP LIKE MANY HAVE AND DO IT THE RIGHT WAY (REGARDLESS). This sympathy for lawbreakers is ridiculous.
Also many of these long-term law breaking illegals have been failing to pay taxes and often working for cash-under-the-table, but are approaching retiremement age.

That's the real reason they're demanding amnesty, they don't give a damn about this country or our language, culture, laws, they have their eyes on the Social Security checks or some other cushy retirement. Many have failed to save up any money at all, and when they retire -- then what?

And also that's not just those illegals working here, but the elderly parents of the illegals back home -- the illegals want nothing more than to bring their elderly here for us to support.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM

15,171 posts, read 17,759,045 times
In my opinion, Newt is simply parroting Obama and other pro-illegals. They all want "non-criminal" illegals and those with "roots" to remain. So, what's new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Newt is right. You can't round up every illegal and deport them. So which ones would you deport. First criminals. Second, those with no family ties, before they make anchor babies. Third, those not paying taxes. Fourth, those not working and on the public dole.
Even if you do deport the illegals the kids can stay as Americans. So you are just breaking up a family and turning the kids against their country. Newt just secured a lot of the Latino vote.
Families will only be separated if the parents choose to leave their children behind, just as many did when they came here. However, somehow, they are only "breaking up" families when forced to leave this country, but not when they abandon children in their countries of origin to seek a better life here. No doubt he has won many Latino votes. But, he has also lost votes from others who do not support amnesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You will be surprised at how much undocumented people have lived in the dark for decades. In NYC, there are hundred-thousands or maybe millions of undocumented people who came in the 80s or 70s. Many were brought over by their parents with traveling visas to not returning to their birth place. They grow up with no way of becoming legal residents to having US born children.

Breaking up families in situations like this, is inhumane in my opinion.
If they have lived here illegally since the 70's, or the 80's prior to 1986, they had an opportunity to legalize their status when the prior, and so-called "final" amnesty was passed. Those who didn't, either had no interest in becoming legal, or were disqualified due to criminal backgrounds. So, why should they be rewarded now?

Again, there is absolutely no reason to break up families, because they can all leave as a family unit. If their U.S.-born children wish to return as adults, it is certainly their right to do so.

Quote:
The illegal's babies are here to stay regardless. Get over it. If you let the republican's plans to fix the economy get through the senate, there might be enough work for us all.
Newt never said citizenship. Why do you have to lie? He said make them legal; and only the few that have been productive members of society for many years.
With legalization, they will get everything they want -- the legal right to work, drive, obtain an SSN, and remain in this country without the fear of deportation. In the meantime, they will continue to give birth to avail themselves of ALL services and benefits reserved for citizens. In fact, if asked, most will admit they have no interest in becoming a U.S. citizen; they only want legal status. Of course, legalization would be the first step on their path to citizenship, if they so desire. In other words, they will be rewarded for violating our laws. How could they possibly ask for more?

Also, given the devastating results of the last mass amnesty, and the failure of our government to secure our borders and enforce our laws, I shudder to think of another. Our current illegal immigration problems would pale by comparison. It is never wise to reward unlawful behavior, because it only encourages more. In fact, according to a poll taken in Mexico, another amnesty will result in even more Mexicans flocking to this country illegally.

Quote:
A clear majority of people in Mexico, 56 percent, thought giving legal status to illegal immigrants in the United States would make it more likely that people they know would go to the United States illegally.
Quote:
Of Mexicans with a member of their immediate household in the United States, 65 percent said a legalization program would make people they know more likely to go to America illegally.
Public Opinion in Mexico on U.S. Immigration: Zogby Poll Examines Attitudes | Center for Immigration Studies

Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 PM

19,894 posts, read 17,792,879 times
The truth is what if i know of a family in the situation he is speaking of, and did not know of this.

They have been my friends, for a very long long time, i know the children, their friends, how would i suffenly feel, if i found out, they now had to be apart. Would i be ok with my friends being split up.

Honestly and in all sincerity. i struggle with that, and then there is the right thing to do, the law. I honestly now have a problem with this one, and i am being honest.

Would i now after 25 years want to see a family of friends good frinds split up, or is the law more important factor.
If i make an exception for my friends, well there would be others in this same situtation, so you cannot have it both ways. That is my problem.

Never thought about this until Newt put this in the manner in which he did, he made it more human.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,001,444 times
None of this would happen until the border is secure. And don't tell me we can't do it. So no new illegals would be coming in and many more would still be deported.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,061,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
The truth is what if i know of a family in the situation he is speaking of, and did not know of this.

They have been my friends, for a very long long time, i know the children, their friends, how would i suffenly feel, if i found out, they now had to be apart. Would i be ok with my friends being split up.

Honestly and in all sincerity. i struggle with that, and then there is the right thing to do, the law. I honestly now have a problem with this one, and i am being honest.

Would i now after 25 years want to see a family of friends good frinds split up, or is the law more important factor.
If i make an exception for my friends, well there would be others in this same situtation, so you cannot have it both ways. That is my problem.

Never thought about this until Newt put this in the manner in which he did, he made it more human.
You can still be pen pals.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
None of this would happen until the border is secure. And don't tell me we can't do it. So no new illegals would be coming in and many more would still be deported.
In that case, it will never happen, because our borders are porous by design. But, I agree, we definitely have the ability to secure them. Sadly, too many in positions of power profit from cheap labor and illicit drugs. Naturally, secure borders would impede the flow of both.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

Would i now after 25 years want to see a family of friends good frinds split up, or is the law more important factor.If i make an exception for my friends, well there would be others in this same situtation, so you cannot have it both ways. That is my problem.

I once had a friend who was a very nice guy. He was good to his parents, kind, generous, and fun to be with. He was also a wonderful husband to his wife, and loving father to his children. To his neighbors, he was a successful businessman, and a pillar of the community. I was friends with him (and his wife) for several years before I realized the true nature of his business, which happens to be illegal. Despite my feelings, I had to sever my ties with them, because I could not have a clear conscience and also remain in their circle of friends. It was a difficult decision, but I did what I felt was right for me.

Often, nice people choose unlawful lifestyles. Illegal aliens willfully ignore our laws, and they knew the risks prior to their decision to either enter our country illegally, or overstay visas. As adults, they must also be willing to accept the consequences.

Should my former friend be absolved of his crimes simply because he managed to evade law enforcement for decades, and is an otherwise "good" person? I think not. Like me, you must also do what you feel is right for you. To each his/her own.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,158,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
So far, just wait until the media tears him apart for his multiple affairs and personal life.

Gingrich will fare much worse than Cain and will be old news soon.
Don't think so, that's old news, we are on the issues now. I've had CNN and MSNBC on today, and they appear to be fairly objective on all the candidates, even playing some clips of Ron Paul. I had The Five on, talk about bias with no logic, I had to switch channels. Today CNN is doing a good job of analyzing issues with Wolf.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:02 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,158,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
He has a point. You can't expect to kick people who have been here for 25 years to pick up and leave. They are members of their communities. They have children and grandchildren here. Members of the church. Extended family and friends. He called the Republicans out and told them to basically practice what they preach when they claim to be the party of the family.
When somebody goes to jail for breaking the law, we are breaking up family's. In this case, they can take the whole shebang with em back home.
Today I passed our city library, and noticed there is a Mexian flag flying under the stars n stripes - what the hell for? We are not adopting Mexico!!!!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM

555 posts, read 843,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Paul was the only candidate who did not threaten to trade the Constitution for a police state. All the others oped for police state with wire taps and cameras on law-abiding citizen.

Paul correctly quoted Franklin: Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin lived before suitcase nukes and other WMD's. Ron Paul is nuts for wanting to repeal the Patriotic Act. In the 10 years since 9/11 I have suffered no invasion of privacy from the Patriot Act. I doubt anyone on C-D has either. I will voluntarily give up some privacy in return for security against those terrorists who want to kill me because I have nothing to hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration