U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 PM

3,876 posts, read 3,714,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Don't think so, that's old news, we are on the issues now. I've had CNN and MSNBC on today, and they appear to be fairly objective on all the candidates, even playing some clips of Ron Paul. I had The Five on, talk about bias with no logic, I had to switch channels. Today CNN is doing a good job of analyzing issues with Wolf.
Too early to call it wait until next week after the holiday.

Well on the BIG issue of Illegal immigration.

Gingrich is an absolute FAILURE !!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:19 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,375,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
This post is full of misinformation. Newt is not for cap and trade and does not believe in AGW. He also did not lobby for the GSE's.
i refer you to wikipedia:

In his 2008 commercial for WeCanSolveIt.org, Newt Gingrich and Nancy Pelosi agree that “our country must take action to address climate change. here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6n_-wB154

In February 2007, Gingrich stated that he "would strongly support" a cap and trade system for reducing carbon emissions based on the success of the 'Acid Rain Program' enacted by Congress under his tenure. He later changed his position, saying that such a trading system "would lead to corruption, political favoritism, and would have a huge impact on the economy."

for newt getting 1.6 million dollars from freddie mac, i refer you to bloomberg:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...eddie-mac.html

i realize that a person can change their mind on a major issue like global warming, but it doesn't mean i am going to trust them either.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:19 PM

4,736 posts, read 4,132,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Too early to call it wait until next week after the holiday.

Well on the BIG issue of Illegal immigration.

Gingrich is an absolute FAILURE !!!
It's an issue, but it's not even close to being one of the top issues in the campaign. Anyone who thinks it is, has fallen for the latest in a long list of distractions designed to throw voters off of the real issues.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:24 PM

4,736 posts, read 4,132,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Ben Franklin lived before suitcase nukes and other WMD's. Ron Paul is nuts for wanting to repeal the Patriotic Act. In the 10 years since 9/11 I have suffered no invasion of privacy from the Patriot Act. I doubt anyone on C-D has either. I will voluntarily give up some privacy in return for security against those terrorists who want to kill me because I have nothing to hide.
I disagree with Paul when it comes to his economics, but he's spot on about a lot of things, and national security, I feel, is one of them.

The U.S. would be much safer if we would just leave other people alone. Other countries negotiate for their resources and political influence, and there's no reason we can't either.

I'm not for rolling back the military completely, but we can work with other nations collectively for major national security concerns.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM

3,876 posts, read 3,714,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's an issue, but it's not even close to being one of the top issues in the campaign. Anyone who thinks it is, has fallen for the latest in a long list of distractions designed to throw voters off of the real issues.
Tell that to Rick Perry, this issue is what caused his dive in the polls didn't it ?

Illegal Immigration impacts unemployed Americans, law enforcement, social services and infrastructure so it is a multi dimensional problem.

Gingrich has really shot himself in the foot with this and it will reflect in his numbers next week when we get back from the Thanksgiving holiday.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,375,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Tell that to Rick Perry, this issue is what caused his dive in the polls didn't it ?

Illegal Immigration impacts unemployed Americans, law enforcement, social services and infrastructure so it is a multi dimensional problem.

Gingrich has really shot himself in the foot with this and it will reflect in his numbers next week when we get back from the Thanksgiving holiday.
illegal immigration not only represents a loss of wealth here in the US with lower wages/working hourse, and the cost of social services-- but the ADDITIONAL actual transfer of US wealth to mexico, with the federal reserve making a profit, of course:

Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, released Federal Reserve marketing materials created for "Directo a México" [Direct to Mexico], a new government program designed to facilitate the transfer of funds from immigrant workers in the U.S. – regardless of their legal status – to their relatives in Mexico. Judicial Watch obtained the marketing materials, prepared for presentations to financial institutions in California in early November 2006, from the Retail Payments Office of the Federal Reserve in Atlanta, Georgia.

Marketed as "the best way to send money home," offering "more pesos for every dollar," the Federal Reserve's remittance program charges U.S. financial institutions $0.67 per item to transfer money from the United States to Mexican banks, ensuring a "highly competitive rate." The Federal Reserve also provides participating U.S. financial institutions with Spanish language promotional materials to "help get your message out.

In 2006 alone, more than 60 million money transfers valued at $23 billion USD were processed. that represents literally BILLIONS of dollars not being spent in businesses in the united states.

that's a sweet racket for the federal reserve, isn't it?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,774,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You will be surprised at how much undocumented people have lived in the dark for decades. In NYC, there are hundred-thousands or maybe millions of undocumented people who came in the 80s or 70s. Many were brought over by their parents with traveling visas to not returning to their birth place. They grow up with no way of becoming legal residents to having US born children.

Breaking up families in situations like this, is inhumane in my opinion.
They wouldn't have to live in the dark if they had not volutarily violated our immigration laws. Their problems are their own doing not ours. If they don't want to break up their families they can leave and take their families with them. No one's stopping them.

Having a child here should not give you the right to American citizenship.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 PM

19,894 posts, read 17,792,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I once had a friend who was a very nice guy. He was good to his parents, kind, generous, and fun to be with. He was also a wonderful husband to his wife, and loving father to his children. To his neighbors, he was a successful businessman, and a pillar of the community. I was friends with him (and his wife) for several years before I realized the true nature of his business, which happens to be illegal. Despite my feelings, I had to sever my ties with them, because I could not have a clear conscience and also remain in their circle of friends. It was a difficult decision, but I did what I felt was right for me.

Often, nice people choose unlawful lifestyles. Illegal aliens willfully ignore our laws, and they knew the risks prior to their decision to either enter our country illegally, or overstay visas. As adults, they must also be willing to accept the consequences.

Should my former friend be absolved of his crimes simply because he managed to evade law enforcement for decades, and is an otherwise "good" person? I think not. Like me, you must also do what you feel is right for you. To each his/her own.

That is exactly the problem i have with this, i was always taught growing up to do the right thing, and abide by the law.

Sometimes doing the right thing does hurt, but cannot make exceptions i see, for one and not for others.

My problem has always been, breaking the law to be here from the beginning, illegally which is so aginast my beleifs.
My acnestors went thru hell and high water, to gain citizenship, and were treated so poorly, that we never hear about, but they did it by the right channels.
No i firmly believe that they have a right to pay for any crimes they commit here.
Then my head tells me if they really have good intentions, and are good people, then why in the hell can't they come here by proper channels also.
Newt just puts this in a different perspective, and i do respect him for that.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 PM

3,505 posts, read 3,738,187 times
be realistic. nobody is rounding up anybody. there will be amnesty in play whether people like it or not.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,774,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
be realistic. nobody is rounding up anybody. there will be amnesty in play whether people like it or not.
That's political suicide. The American public does not want to grant citizenship and thus welfare to millions of low skilled illegals from Mexico just so our pols can cater to the hispanic lobby.

We won't have to round them up. We'll just make them so uncomfortable they'll leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration