Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM

234 posts, read 241,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Ok, my take. I oppose it because I have immigrants in my family who came here LEGALLY. And let's face it: They don't want to stay here because they like it so much, they want to stay here because Mexico etc. are ****holes, to say it nicely.
Did you read about the incident a few weeks ago where the students were prohibited from wearing t-shirts with the American flag? Because some other students were celebrating Mexico and didn't like that.. Not even those who were born here want to be American. And there are countless other stories, not just this one. So don't spread lies. I'm sure you know better, but don't know what else to use to support your argument, so you say this. Just let's not beat around the bush.
It's argued that the students who wore the American flag t-shirts did so in an attempt to "provoke". Regardless of this being true or false is besides the point. School officials chose to have the students remove their shirts to prevent a problem. Yes, it was not very "patriotic" of school officials to do that but it was a decision none the less based upon what occurred the year before.

The previous year groups of Hispanic and Anglo students had yelled obscenities and threats at each other.
Read more: Commentary: School that banned U.S. flag T-shirts missed a teachable moment - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/21/3271440/commentary-school-that-banned.html#ixzz1f7RSOd6F - broken link)

BTW, the holiday being celebrated was Cinco De Mayo a Mexican celebration that's has more recognition in the USA than in Mexico.

Where I see a fail in this incidence is that school officials failed to take advantage of this and turn it into a "teachable moment" of explaining our 1st amendment rights in a civil manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
I have a question for you Rico.

Let's say you got laid off. You qualify for unemployment and you are now making $2100 a month.

You are offered a job.. And it pays 7.50 an hour...$ 1200 before taxe if you work full-time.

What would you do?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Speak for yourself and your own experiences dear.
I just call it how I see it. Take for example the crack downs on illegal immigration in Arizona, Georgia, Alabama, & S. Carolina. The illegals have left those States leaving a vacuum of available jobs that unemployed Americans can take yet, reports come in that these low skilled jobs are not getting filled.

Racist Anti-Immigration Arizona Law Backfires - YouTube

Georgia immigrant crackdown backfires - Reid J. Epstein - POLITICO.com

Alabama Immigration Law Backfires, Colbert Says 'I Told You So' (VIDEO)

Quote:
And no, people hire illegal aliens because they are greedy. It is that simple.
Some employers hire illegal immigrants unknowingly while others maliciously do so with haste. Ask yourself this question, would you pay top dollar for a service or would you pay the lowest dollar for the same quality of service?

It's not rocket science, take for example Black Friday. Millions of people swarmed by the droves to the stores to get the "best deal" for their money.

Quote:
Why don't you report those lazy people you know to the Department of Labor in the state? When you are receiving unemployment, you are required to look for a job. If you don't think they are doing that, why are you sitting back and doing nothing about it?
So you'd report people for being selective in what job & pay rate they want to take as possible fraud? How draconian of you.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post

So you'd report people for being selective in what job & pay rate they want to take as possible fraud? How draconian of you.
Oh, so now I am a horrible person! You are the one who called them lazy. Not me.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
I just call it how I see it. Take for example the crack downs on illegal immigration in Arizona, Georgia, Alabama, & S. Carolina. The illegals have left those States leaving a vacuum of available jobs that unemployed Americans can take yet, reports come in that these low skilled jobs are not getting filled.

Some employers hire illegal immigrants unknowingly while others maliciously do so with haste. Ask yourself this question, would you pay top dollar for a service or would you pay the lowest dollar for the same quality of service?

It's not rocket science, take for example Black Friday. Millions of people swarmed by the droves to the stores to get the "best deal" for their money.

Those jobs will eventually get filled. Why? Because if they don't raise the wages the unscrupulous business owners will go BK. They prefer to offer slave like wages but aren't going to be able to get away with it. State by State this problem is going to be solved.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I have a question for you Rico.

Let's say you got laid off. You qualify for unemployment and you are now making $2100 a month.

You are offered a job.. And it pays 7.50 an hour...$ 1200 before taxe if you work full-time.

What would you do?
First of all, I would not be applying for jobs that pay $7.50 an hr nor would an employer hire me at $7.50 hr knowing that I come from a job that pays way more due to my skill set.

But no worries, I'll answer your hypothetical question for you. I'd likely take the job and be so disgruntled over the low pay that I'd likely be the first to go upon the companies quarterly review.

People with skills don't stick around low paying jobs for long. We tend to use our heads and follow the money.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Those jobs will eventually get filled. Why? Because if they don't raise the wages the unscrupulous business owners will go BK. They prefer to offer slave like wages but aren't going to be able to get away with it. State by State this problem is going to be solved.

Of course those jobs will get filled by legal & in some cases illegal workers. The problem is getting the legal ones to fill those jobs. Some of these shady employers insist on paying crappy wages. I call it "predatory capitalism" and the American philosophy of "free market rule" is why where in this mess in the first place.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Oh, so now I am a horrible person! You are the one who called them lazy. Not me.
Opinion duly noted.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
First of all, I would not be applying for jobs that pay $7.50 an hr nor would an employer hire me at $7.50 hr knowing that I come from a job that pays way more due to my skill set.

But no worries, I'll answer your hypothetical question for you. I'd likely take the job and be so disgruntled over the low pay that I'd likely be the first to go upon the companies quarterly review.

People with skills don't stick around low paying jobs for long. We tend to use our heads and follow the money.
However we have a terribly high unemployment rate and we simply don't need millions of unskilled uneducated impoverished people pouring over the border.

If that many jobs require the unskilled, then maybe we're wasting too much money on trying to educate Americans, if it's the educated who can't find jobs.

Still we all know full well that wages would go up if there was a limited supply of laborers, allowing millions of illegals to come over is what brings those wages way down.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
That sounds like what early America did to Blacks. Use the law to keep them dumbed down, don't teach them to read & write and ensuring they're ignorant to the world around them. It's bad enough that Americans are in some cases ignorant to the world around them as well. We don't need more which is why we don't need millions of uneducated illegal immigrants freely roaming the USA unchecked.

Too bad the Federal Dream Act was not more clearly written. California has their own version of the Dream Act that's under a potential recall election. If it fails in California then you can bet your lucky stars that'll be the end if that ploy for sometime to come!!!
You simply cannot compare the plight of black citizens in the past to the illegal aliens of today. The former were citizens and the latter are illegal foreigners. We have no obligation to them whatsoever and they have schools in their own homelands.

Quote:
I wonder if Congress will pass another unemployment benefits extension. What I see today is a bunch of unemployed Americans content on their benefits rather than looking for a job.

Of course I only say that because I know some unemployed people who rather collect the unemployment check & food stamps instead of taking a low skilled low paying job. In case you have not noticed, jobs that pay well are like finding a needle in a hay stack.

With Americans being spoiled rotten with decent paying jobs in the past, it's natural to only seek out decent paying jobs while rejecting the low paying jobs.

Well guess what?

When an unemployed American on unemployment benefits chooses to sit on their butts instead of taking one of those low paying jobs, the likely hood of an illegal immigrant sneaking in to get that job dramatically increases.

So who's fault is it really?
Many times unemployment pays more than a minimum wage job and when you have a family to support you take the largest amount. Besides many unemployed Americans would never get hired for those low wage jobs because they are overqualified or they would rather hire cheap, illegals for them. So stop referring to most Americans as being lazy.

Americans are spoiled rotten by asking for a fair wage? In case you don't know it, it isn't cheap living in this country and an American has to get a fair wage to support their families and to not live in poverty. We don't want to live like the peasants in Mexico do. We aren't a third world country. Our youth need those entry level jobs and jobs like construction that use to pay a decent wage for an adult have been taken over by cheap, illegal labor and you're ok with that?

Quote:

Figures you'd buy into some left leaning articles that can't even tell the truth in their topic headings such as "racist anti-immigrant law". First off how is the law racist and how is it anti-"immigrant"? These aren't immigrants they are illegal aliens. The writer of the article is being dishonest from the get go and yet you buy into their nonsense? Colbert?, lol. He leans so far left he should keel over. Another article you posted calls them "immigrants". Yeah, these are real unbiased, honest articles....NOT!

I would never break the law for profit. Does this mean you would? Searching for honest deals such as sales is a ridiculous analogy to hiring illegal aliens which is against the law. It isn't against the law to pay a sale price for anything. There is no comparison. You bet I would report an employer for hiring illegal aliens. It is against the law!

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2011 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration