Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,358,861 times

Advertisements

If illegals are removed will housing costs go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 09:31 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,861,002 times
I sure would like to find out.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:34 PM

149 posts, read 549,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Good question!

There will likely be around a million more vacant apartments and houses on the market than there are now if all illegals are kicked out. That will likely lower the cost of housing. It will also kill the house building industry for several years while demand catches up with supply. May even push us into a recession.

I wonder who is going to pay the property taxes on all those unrented units? The owners I guess - who will have to charge more on the units that are rented to make up the costs. Maybe rents will not go down that much!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,057,828 times
Quote:
i think that if illegals were moved out of so cal, there would be economic troubles since so much business has been built around the illegal population. there would be no shoppers, no rents, no gas taxes, sales taxes. on the other hand, there would be a lesser demand for public schools, social and health services, a lot less traffic. but then what would this do for teachers' jobs? physicians' offices, hospitals? i think that housing costs would only go down for modest homes since that's what they tend to live in. if the government invested in revitalizing some of the run down areas, i think that so cal would attract out-of-staters to move there or return back to so cal. i think that there would be a transitional period where the so mexifornia economy would go through a few jolts, but then attract people from other states due to the enhanced livabilityand less crowdedness

Old 09-03-2007, 09:07 AM

I think the only people who build businesses around illegals are other illegals or their legal kinsman.

Housing is by far the biggest cost for anyone, so if it aleviates housing, everyone will be better off no matter what.

It would only really affect areas like Socal or Metro NY, not so much the country

Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 AM

149 posts, read 549,859 times
Quote:
It would only really affect areas like Socal or Metro NY, not so much the country
So the issue of illegal immigration is only important in southern California and metro New York?

Boy are you misinformed!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,476,004 times
Housing markets across the country have been inflated by record numbers due to speculators and investors, not by illegals. Rent in our area has more than doubled in less than 2 years. A direct result in over speculation and an investor driven market. People that bought at huge appreciation rates need to increase rent to cover the cost of the note on the property. That will not change if the illegals are gone. Markets all over the country are slowly changing to lower prices, they have to. But I do not see how it ties to illegals renting them.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
So the issue of illegal immigration is only important in southern California and metro New York?

Boy are you misinformed!
I didnt mean it like that.

I mean SoCal and NY Metro are the ones with the huge housing problem because there is little space left, and everyone wants to be there.

I know there are illegals everywhere, but their removal will not affect the housing there as much as SoCal or NY Metro

Old 09-03-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Housing markets across the country have been inflated by record numbers due to speculators and investors, not by illegals. Rent in our area has more than doubled in less than 2 years. A direct result in over speculation and an investor driven market. People that bought at huge appreciation rates need to increase rent to cover the cost of the note on the property. That will not change if the illegals are gone. Markets all over the country are slowly changing to lower prices, they have to. But I do not see how it ties to illegals renting them.
Regular americans do not want to live in areas that are overrun with illegals, in SoCal and Metro NY.

If they were not there, more space would be available. These speculators, and investors, and developers could only drive the price up only so much because there is more supply.

Of course there will still be expensive areas, but I think things would be a little easier for everyone

Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,691,958 times
Quote:

Yes, if you remove 20 to 30 million illegals the demand for housing drops and prices probably will drop. Also, in areas like California where they have problems providing services like power and water, will see the quality of life improve. Public schools would be able to concentrate on giving students a quality education that prepares them for college instead of spending truckloads of money on ESL courses, which would reduce dependence on social service programs.

Sure there would be an economic down turn in areas where there are huge numbers of illegals, but the country would recover rather rapidly. And for the most part, we would be much better off. Jails would clear out, crime would drop drastically, and demand for workers would increase so many would be economically much better off. Part-time workers would be able to find full-time jobs with benefits. Retirees and students that want to supplement their income would be able to now find work. And the huge unemployment rates that plague our poor and minority communities would be greatly reduced. Businesses and corporations that have gotten away with hiring illegals would then have to pay a living wage with benefits, and in the end our nation would be much better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration