Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Leslie Hernández was 11 years old when her family moved from Mexico City to Detroit.

Fast forward 14 years. Hernández is now 25 and a mother of three – ages 10, 5 and 3. They were all born in Detroit and all three are U.S. citizens, but mom is not.

U.S. Immigration and Customs arrested Hernández on October 24th. The have a deportation order for her and plan to send her to Mexico.

She spent the past two and a half months in jail, but suddenly was released while the feds review a humanitarian clause. The debate? Should a mother of three with no criminal record who came to the U.S. as a child be deported?

“We’re trying to reopen the case,” said immigration attorney George Mann. “If we got the case reopened, then she would have a right to apply for relief from deportation, but right now she has a valid order of deportation. They have the power to deport her.”
The children's father is also undocumented. He is in jail right now.

Read more: Mother of Three American Kids Hopes to Avoid Deportation | Fox News Latino

Her excuse
Quote:
"I would just really want them to give us a chance to be a family because they're my family and they're little. They need me. They need their mom to guide them," said Hernández.
Why doesn't she petition to take them with her? Or is it, if I can't use them to stay here then I don't want them to weigh me down back in Mexico?
Quote:
She has three children ages 10, 5, and 3 - "One is sick, and one is disabled." (taxpayers rejoice) She was arrested back in '97 for being in the country illegally along with her mother. Mom can stay in U.S. while deportation case is reviewed | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20120110/NEWS06/201100423/Mom-can-stay-in-U-S-while-deportation-case-is-reviewed - broken link)

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 01-12-2012 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
If she has a ten year old then that means she was 15 years old when she gave birth to him/her. There are far too many cases of teen pregnancy and the taxpayer having to foot the bill for their births. It is particulary troubling when neither the father nor the mother are here legally.

I wonder how much of our tax dollars have gone caring for her sick and disabled children? If allowed to stay we will be caring for them the rest of their lives.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,787,397 times
What a screwed up system.

I know, I know. She's illegal and that itself is a crime. But she is illegal not by own choice. But hey, the good guys got a big bad person who is no longer a theat to society. The city will sleep easier once she's deported.

How does this become a priority and overshadow illegals that are repeat offenders who should have been deported upon the first arrest rather than be released back into society, given an attorney at the expense of taxpayers, are given a date to return to court, rather than a deportation date, and don't show up to court, free to commit another crime. But a woman, who was brought to the US as a minor, a parental decision where she had no choice in the matter, she has no criminal record, with 3 children who are US citizens and she is going to be deported? If that's the law they want to enforce, enforce it across the board and across the country.

I can send them a few names/locations of illegals who are guilty of the same crime, some were minors, some were adults when they entered the US legally and overstayed. Oh, yeah. Some don't have an anchor baby. Maybe they would get a pass because they aren't Mexican??

Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
The young mother is old enough to realize she is here illegally. If she wants to remain here and contribute to our society as a citizen, she should take her lumps now and follow the proper procedure. She was approximately 20 & 22 years of age when she had babies 2 and 3. At 20 years of age one should have a fairly firm grasp on right and wrong.

This mother was raised in a household were she was taught that it is acceptable to fly under the wire and circumvent the law for one's own benefit. Her actions -- 3 babies by the age of 22, hooking up with an illegal alien sperm donor (currently incarcerated) -- lead me to believe that she is either incredibly stupid and incapable of making a mature, rational decision which requires following proper legal channels OR she is cunning and knows how to work the system to her benefit and the benefit of her children and parents.

Either way the taxpayers lose.

Is this the type of potential citizen who will advance our country economically moving forward?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The young mother is old enough to realize she is here illegally. If she wants to remain here and contribute to our society as a citizen, she should take her lumps now and follow the proper procedure. She was approximately 20 & 22 years of age when she had babies 2 and 3. At 20 years of age one should have a fairly firm grasp on right and wrong.

This mother was raised in a household were she was taught that it is acceptable to fly under the wire and circumvent the law for one's own benefit. Her actions -- 3 babies by the age of 22, hooking up with an illegal alien sperm donor (currently incarcerated) -- lead me to believe that she is either incredibly stupid and incapable of making a mature, rational decision which requires following proper legal channels OR she is cunning and knows how to work the system to her benefit and the benefit of her children and parents.

Either way the taxpayers lose.

Is this the type of potential citizen who will advance our country economically moving forward?
That is what is bothersome to me. If these people had no respect for our immigration laws in the first place (and that doesn't excuse those brought here by their parents as they continue to remain here knowing that they are here illegally) what kind of citizens will they make? For most that isn't the only law that they broke to remain here either.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What a screwed up system.

I know, I know. She's illegal and that itself is a crime. But she is illegal not by own choice. But hey, the good guys got a big bad person who is no longer a theat to society. The city will sleep easier once she's deported.

How does this become a priority and overshadow illegals that are repeat offenders who should have been deported upon the first arrest rather than be released back into society, given an attorney at the expense of taxpayers, are given a date to return to court, rather than a deportation date, and don't show up to court, free to commit another crime. But a woman, who was brought to the US as a minor, a parental decision where she had no choice in the matter, she has no criminal record, with 3 children who are US citizens and she is going to be deported? If that's the law they want to enforce, enforce it across the board and across the country.

I can send them a few names/locations of illegals who are guilty of the same crime, some were minors, some were adults when they entered the US legally and overstayed. Oh, yeah. Some don't have an anchor baby. Maybe they would get a pass because they aren't Mexican??
Why should we let her or her paramour skip the immigration lines? He's an amoral jailbird. She's barely educated and has three kids that will likely soak up a lot of educational funds. Neither one of them are likely to be anything but a huge fiscal burden on the rest of us for a very long time.

Do you think someone should be allowed to skip our immigration lines just because they gave birth here? Yes, she had no choice in the matter. Neither did we. WE shouldn't be punished for her parent's actions. The fact that she had a few out of wedlock bastards she probably isn't supporting without help from the American taxpayer should be a point against her, not an excuse to demand the right to stay.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,787,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Why should we let her or her paramour skip the immigration lines? He's an amoral jailbird. She's barely educated and has three kids that will likely soak up a lot of educational funds. Neither one of them are likely to be anything but a huge fiscal burden on the rest of us for a very long time.

Do you think someone should be allowed to skip our immigration lines just because they gave birth here? Yes, she had no choice in the matter. Neither did we. WE shouldn't be punished for her parent's actions. The fact that she had a few out of wedlock bastards she probably isn't supporting without help from the American taxpayer should be a point against her, not an excuse to demand the right to stay.
Weren't you the one who started a thread not too long back "I'm torn...."?

I'm all too familiar with the way you "debate" so I really don't want to get into an exchange with you.

What I will say is: you are so consumed with hatred that I actually feel sorry for you.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM

387 posts, read 337,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

It is clear that we do not have the ability to deport more than a few percentage of the illegals present. She would be relatively low on the list even if the kids are on welfare. The administration has suggested first the criminnal than the freshly arrived. I would think family groups would be last.

The father is apparently in jail on an immigration charge. So not neccessarily a law breaker.

Do you describe all those born out of wedlock as bastards? I thought the term has been mostly dropped as the number of illegitimate births has risen. Or do you reserve it for groups you hate? Many females would hold they have a right to have children when they chose whether married or not. Apparently you don't approve?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Weren't you the one who started a thread not too long back "I'm torn...."?

I'm all too familiar with the way you "debate" so I really don't want to get into an exchange with you.

What I will say is: you are so consumed with hatred that I actually feel sorry for you.
And I feel sorry someone who is unable to remember who started what thread and resorts to personal attacks instead of answering someone's debate points. So I suppose we're even. Oh wait. I don't want to tax YOU so some badly educated Mexican national can breed up all the babies she wants with criminals at public expense.

If you want to be "nice" to foreign nationals who make bad life choices then do so with your money not mine. No one's stopping you. Go support this woman and her children yourself. This way you can feel good about yourself and even better that you're not making demands on others who don't have as big an allotment of humanity as you do.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
It is clear that we do not have the ability to deport more than a few percentage of the illegals present. She would be relatively low on the list even if the kids are on welfare. The administration has suggested first the criminnal than the freshly arrived. I would think family groups would be last.

The father is apparently in jail on an immigration charge. So not neccessarily a law breaker.

Do you describe all those born out of wedlock as bastards? I thought the term has been mostly dropped as the number of illegitimate births has risen. Or do you reserve it for groups you hate? Many females would hold they have a right to have children when they chose whether married or not. Apparently you don't approve?
So all the people Obama has deported in the last few years are simply a figment of my imagination?

All the ones who flee every time we enact a reasonable law in some state somewhere? Again all my imagination?

The woman has broken multiple American laws including forgery if she's working here when she has no right to so do. She's made all kinds of truly lousy life decisions including early out of wedlock childbearing to another lawbreaking foreign national as well as the decision to drop out of high school. You have made no argument why she should get to stay after making all kinds of dumb decisions. She's not an asset to our society and certainly not the sort of person we want or need here as she is likely to continue to pay little if anything in taxes and take a great deal from American citizens.

Really, Olecapt, for someone who is allegedly so anti-illegal, you sure don't write that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration