Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:41 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,889,178 times

Advertisements

The rest of America may very well be on it's way to becoming the Next California if Illegal Immigration isn't stopped.

We are a Nation of Laws and these laws must be obeyed.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...4012007/270480
California Shows Results of Illegal Aliens

Date published: 4/1/2007

This in response to the letter to the editor from Alicia Payne ["Legislators, we want to see how you vote on illegals," March 23].

Ms. Payne ended her letter with a phrase that formerly made my blood boil--"Do we want Virginia to become another California?"

Our immigration-driven population grew by 4 million in the past decade, and at current rates will increase by 6 million at the next census.

In spite of that population increase, more than 80 emergency rooms closed because of nonpaying patients.

California's prisons are bursting at the seams, with the nation's highest recidivism rate. We have the highest teen-birth and school-dropout rates.

Of our 6.5 million students, 2.5 million are in Limited English Proficient classes (California has one third of the nation's total LEP students).

Even though we passed a citizen initiative making English the state's language, our out-of-control legislators have held debates in the capitol in Spanish.

The FBI estimates that half of the more than 100,000 gangsters in Los Angeles County are deportable illegal aliens who outgun the police.

Well, you get the idea why I no longer take offense when people use my once-Golden State as the bad example that your state will follow into chaos if you allow the corrupting system of illegal immigration to become more established in your state than it already may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 03:25 PM

452 posts, read 1,133,966 times
Quote:
Do We Want Mexifornia?
Victor Davis Hanson EMAIL

Thousands arrive illegally from Mexico into California each year—and the state is now home to fully 40 percent of America’s immigrants, legal and illegal. They come in such numbers because a tacit alliance of Right and Left has created an open-borders policy, aimed at keeping wage labor cheap and social problems ever fresh, so that the ministrations of Chicano studies professors, La Raza activists, and all the other self-appointed defenders of group causes will never be unneeded. The tragedy is that though illegal aliens come here hoping to succeed, most get no preparation for California’s competitive culture. Instead, their activist shepherds herd them into ethnic enclaves, where inexorably they congeal into an underclass. The concept of multiculturalism is the force-multiplier that produces this result: it transforms a stubborn problem of assimilation into a social calamity.
Excerpt

Story Continues,
http://www.city-journal.org/html/12_2_do_we_want.html

Quote:
Mexifornia, Five Years Later
Victor Davis Hanson

The flood of illegal immigrants into California has made things worse than I foresaw.

In the Spring 2002 issue of City Journal, I wrote an essay about growing up in the central San Joaquin Valley and witnessing firsthand, especially over the last 20 years, the ill effects of illegal immigration (City Journal’s editors chose the title of the piece: “Do We Want Mexifornia?”). Controversy over my blunt assessment of the disaster of illegal immigration from Mexico led to an expanded memoir, Mexifornia, published the following year by Encounter Press.

Mexifornia came out during the ultimately successful campaign to recall California governor Gray Davis in autumn 2003. A popular public gripe was that the embattled governor had appeased both employers and the more radical Hispanic politicians of the California legislature on illegal immigration. And indeed Davis had signed legislation allowing driver’s licenses for illegal aliens that both houses of state government had passed. So it was no wonder that the book sometimes found its way into both the low and high forms of the political debate. On the Internet, a close facsimile of a California driver’s license circulated, with a picture of a Mexican bandit (the gifted actor Alfonso Bedoya of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre), together with a demeaning height (5’4”), weight (“too much”), and sex (“mucho”) given. “Mexifornia” was emblazoned across the top where “California” usually is stamped on the license.
Excerpt

Story Continues,
http://www.city-journal.org/html/17_1_mexifornia.html

Old 04-01-2007, 10:22 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,501,358 times
Default Charlie Daniels on Illegals

Got this in an e-mail.............................................. ......................

HATS OFF TO CHARLIE DANIELS....

AT LEAST HE HAS THE COURAGE TO SPEAK HIS MIND!!!

I don't know how everybody else feels about it, but to me I think Hispanic people in this country, legally or illegally, made a huge public relations mistake with their recent demonstrations.

I don't blame anybody in the world for wanting to come to the United States of America, as it is a truly wonderful place.

But when the first thing you do when you set foot on American soil is illegal it is flat out wrong and I don't care how many lala land left heads come out of the woodwork and start trying to give me sensitivity lessons.

I don't need sensitivity lessons, in fact I don't have any-thing against Mexicans! I just have something against criminals and anybody who comes into this country illegally is a criminal and if you don't believe it try coming into America from a foreign country without a passport and see how far you get. What disturbs me about the demonstrations is that it's tanta-mount to saying, "I am going to come into your country even if it means breaking your laws and there's nothing you can do about it."

It's an "in your face" action and speaking just for me, I don't like it one little bit and if there were a half dozen pairs of gonads in Washington bigger than English peas it wouldn't be happening.

Where are you, you bunch of lily livered, pantywaist, forked tongued, sorry excuses for defenders of The Constitution? Have you been drinking the water out of the Potomac a gain? And even if you pass a bill on immigration it will probably be so pork laden and watered down that it won't mean anything anyway Besides, what good is another law going to do when you won't enforce the ones on the books now?

And what ever happened to the polls, guys? I thought you folks were the quintessential finger wetters. Well you sure ain't paying any attention to the polls this time because somewhere around eighty percent of Americans want some thing done about this mess, and mess it is and getting bigger everyday.

This is no longer a problem, it is a dilemma and headed for being a tragedy. Do you honestly think that what happened in France with the Muslims can't happen here when the businesses who hire these people finally run out of jobs and a few million disillusioned Hispanics take to the streets?

If you, Mr. President, Congressmen and Senators, knuckle under on this and refuse to do something meaningful it means that you care nothing for the kind of country your children and grand-children will inherit. But I guess that doesn't matter as long as you get re-elected. Shame on you. One of the big problems in America today is that if you have the nerve to say anything derogatory about any group of people (except Christians) you are going to be screamed at by the media and called a racist, a bigot and anything else they can think of to call you

Well I've been pounded by the media before and I'm still rockin' and rollin' and when it comes to speaking the truth I fear not. And the truth is that the gutless, gonadless, milksop politicians are just about to s ell out the United States of America because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to face reality

And reality is that we would never allow any other group of people to have 12 million illegal in this country and turn around and say, "Oh it's ok, ya'll can stay here if you'll just allow us to slap your wrist."

And I know that some of you who read this column are saying "Well what's wrong with that?" I'll tell you what's wrong with it These people could be from Mars as far as we know. We don't know who they are, where they are or what they're up to and the way the Congress is going we're not going to.

Does this make sense? Labor force you say? We already subsidize corporate agriculture as it is, must we subsidize their labor as well? If these people were from Haiti would we be so fast to turn a blind eye to them or if they were from Somalia or Afghanistan ? I think not.

All the media shows us are pictures of hard working Hispanics who have crossed the border just to try to better their life. They don't show you pictures of the Feds rounding up members of MS 13, the violent gang who came across the same way the decent folks did. They don't tell you about the living conditions of the Mexican illegal some fat cat hired to pick his crop.

I want to make two predictions.

No. 1: This situation is going to grow and fester until it erupts in violence on our streets while the wimps in Washington drag their toes in the dirt and try to figure how many tons of political hay they can make to the acre.

No 2: Somebody is going to cross that border with some kind of weapon of mass destruction and set it off in a major American city after which there will be a backlash such as this country has never experienced and the Capitol building in Washington will probably tilt as Congressmen and Senator s rush to the other side of the issue.

I don't know about you but I would love to see just one major politician stand up and say, "I don't care who I make mad and I don't care how many votes I lose, this is a desperate situation and I'm going to lead the fight to get it straightened out." I don't blame anybody for wanting to come to America , but if you don't respect our immigration laws why should you respect any others? And by the way, this is America and our flag has stars and stripes Please get that other one out of my face.

God Bless America

Charlie Daniel s

MY COUNTRY
IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY,
SPEAK UP!
I am not against immigration -
just come through like everyone else
Get a sponsor;
have a place to lay your head;
have a job;
pay your taxes;
live by the rules;
and
LEARN THE LANGUAGE
as all other immigrants have in the past
and
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

PART OF THE PROBLEM

Think about this:
If you don't want to forward this
for fear of o ffending someone,
YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

Will we still be the Country of choice
and still be America if we continue
to make the changes forced on us by
people from other countries who came
to live in America because it is the
Country of Choice?

Think about it!

All we have to say is, when will
Someone do something about
MY RIGHTS?
We've gone so far the other way,
bent over backwards to not
offend anyone, that I am now
being offended.
But it seems no one has a problem
with that.

"In God We Trust"
is our national motto. This is not
some Christian, right wing, political slogan.
We adopted this motto because Christian men
and women - on Christian principles - founded
this nation, and this is clearly documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls
of our schools.
It is Time for America to Speak up
If you agree - pass this along;
if you don't agree - delete it!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,112 times
Default Blah, Blah, Blah

Blah, blah, blah- Stop complaining about it, illegal immigrants, who's fault is it? The government is to blame, does everybody know the government gives them free food, free medical and more. Don't blame the illegals, blame the government. These people would leave if they don't get these benefits. If they stay here and experience the cost of living then they will realize staying here is impossible. It's stupid they get free this free that but we have to pay for everything else. So stop complaining and do something about the government. It's them who fails the Americans and not the illegals. I am not Mexican nor illegal but I am tired of Americans complaining and not doing anything about it. Americans elects who runs this Country, they make these laws for the Mexicans for free food, free insurance so stop writting and complaining and change the laws instead, quit giving these illegal these rights. Let their country take care of them. America is letting them come here, they will grow and take over since they have so many kids. Then what would the Americans do then? Talking about it won't change anything, do something about it.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 AM

1,486 posts, read 4,162,456 times
Default I agree but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingdong View Post
Blah, blah, blah- Stop complaining about it, illegal immigrants, who's fault is it? The government is to blame, does everybody know the government gives them free food, free medical and more. Don't blame the illegals, blame the government. These people would leave if they don't get these benefits. If they stay here and experience the cost of living then they will realize staying here is impossible. It's stupid they get free this free that but we have to pay for everything else. So stop complaining and do something about the government. It's them who fails the Americans and not the illegals. I am not Mexican nor illegal but I am tired of Americans complaining and not doing anything about it. Americans elects who runs this Country, they make these laws for the Mexicans for free food, free insurance so stop writting and complaining and change the laws instead, quit giving these illegal these rights. Let their country take care of them. America is letting them come here, they will grow and take over since they have so many kids. Then what would the Americans do then? Talking about it won't change anything, do something about it.

You are right that it is our governments fault and not the illegals since they are simply doing what our government lets them. I am sure our government likes people to hate illegals instead of them, whatever takes the focus off their lies. The problem is I dont trust voting or even if it is still legit:

You have to vote for someone
That someone gets in office, but after being elected has too much power to do whatever he wants. impeachments seem to never happen. How do you overcome this and get change instead of voting in circles with the same result?

Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM

547 posts, read 1,187,359 times
Unhappy Don't blame one over the other, blame both!

I blame the politicians who do nothing because they are salivating over the possibility of votes from newly legal immigrants if they pass an amnesty bill AND I blame the illegal aliens themselves for breaking our laws. Don't tell me it takes too long to come here the legal way, the reason it takes time is we cannot handle a flood of immigrants from any one country so we have a process in place to make sure we don't get ourselves in the position we are in now. But since it does take time to get here and stay here legally and they are impatient, the illegals just flood in here illegally and then demand services, which we hand over as if they were legal citizens. No wonder they flood in, once they are here we take care of them and their families and even publish everything in Spanish as well as English so they have no trouble reading about what else they can get for free. Many of the families here illegally are good hardworking people, but that doesn't change the fact we are drowning from the flood.
If you don't believe in blaming the illegal aliens, then I ask you this....If you leave your front door open on a hot summer day in a dangerous part of town and someone comes in and steals your cash, electronics and jewelry....is it your fault you lost your posessions (because after all, YOU left the door open) or is it the criminals fault or should you share the blame? I say it wasn't very smart to leave the door open but by doing so you certainly didn't say "come on in and take my stuff".

Old 09-03-2007, 08:27 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,044,428 times
Exactly. It's our government's fault AND the fault of people who take advantage of us. Everything involves a choice and people who CHOOSE to break our laws cannot be exonerated.

I have a serious illness and no health care. I also have friends in Canada and England who have invited me to visit them for an extended period of time so I can get health care when I'm doing especially poorly. Yeah, in my more desperate moments, I did consider it. But that wouldn't be right, would it? Just because my own country has failed me in this aspect, is it right to go to another country and have their system and taxpayers take care of me? NO, it isn't! I know I might die before my Medicare kicks in but at least I'll die an honest person.

Moreover, these illegal immigrants make bad decisions and then blame US! They will not accept responsibility when they leave their families behind in either country, and accuse us of "breaking up families." They lie and take and forge documents and blame US when they get caught.

There is another player in all of this that no one seems to hold accountable -- the Mexican government! Until recently, they actually distributed handbooks on how to enter the U.S. illegally! Their soldiers and police are often involved in human smuggling! And they refuse to modernize and change their policies so they can take care of their own people. This is a country rich in oil, mining interests and tourism. They don't have to change because they are fine with syphoning off their poor to us, and then they have the nerve to criticize us when we start to crack down.

There are several "movements" such as Aztlan that publicly state their intent to reclaim large sections of the Southwest and West without firing a shot -- through massive illegal immigration. We are under siege, as they have planned. Frankly, since Mexico has shown itself to be a hostile neighbor, I think we need to take it to the UN.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,489,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingdong View Post
Have you ever heard of ALIPAC? Or NumbersUSA? These are two of the many sites opposing illegal immigration.
You can't possibly know what people on this site are doing to stop illegal immigration outside of city-data so it is somewhat presumptuous to assume no one is doing anything except 'blah blah blah'.
Don't forget the American people alone stopped the Comprehensive Immigration Reform and Scamnesty Bill in late June. I belong to ALIPAC and we had 7,000 people join in one day right before the final vote. Phone calls to some Senate offices were running 100-1 in opposition to the bill. The morning of the vote, the Capitol switchboard was overloaded by callers to the point that it crashed. We continue to keep an eye on what is going on in Washington because has become painfully obvious that El Presidente Jorge Bush and our congress critters do not always seem to have the interests of the American people at heart. People such as Sen. Lindsey Graham, who spoke at LaRaza several weeks before the vote and referred to Americans who opposed the CIR bill as 'bigots', are in real danger of losing their seats, IMO.
So yes we are 'doing something about it'. We are working very hard to 1)educate voters and 2)replace the people in Washington who are all too ready to sell us out.

And the illegals KNOW they are doing wrong when they come here in violation of US immigration laws. They just don't give a d***.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 PM

547 posts, read 1,187,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I have a serious illness and no health care. I also have friends in Canada and England who have invited me to visit them for an extended period of time so I can get health care when I'm doing especially poorly. Yeah, in my more desperate moments, I did consider it. But that wouldn't be right, would it? Just because my own country has failed me in this aspect, is it right to go to another country and have their system and taxpayers take care of me? NO, it isn't! I know I might die before my Medicare kicks in but at least I'll die an honest person.
Oh teatime, I am so sorry to hear about your health. Just think, if we didn't all have to spend so much time and money taking care of these illegal aliens and their issues, we would have more time and money to take care of our Medical insurance/Medicare and Social Security issues. Isn't it sad that if you were illegal, you could get what you need to save your life.
I have a similar plight albeit much less critical, I have to chose which medical issue I can afford to treat at any given time. All debilitating, none life threatening.
Quote:
Moreover, these illegal immigrants make bad decisions and then blame US! They will not accept responsibility when they leave their families behind in either country, and accuse us of "breaking up families." They lie and take and forge documents and blame US when they get caught.
Another hot issue with me. We are accused of breaking up their families because they decide to leave their American born behind. They are certainly not forced to do so and it is shocking they would even consider it.
Quote:
There is another player in all of this that no one seems to hold accountable -- the Mexican government!
Because Billions of dollars are sent to Mexico by illegal aliens here. From what I understand it is one of their biggest imports - American dollars. I hear soon the Mexican government will be taking their "cut" whenever money is sent there from here.
Quote:
And they refuse to modernize and change their policies so they can take care of their own people.
Yes, and rather than protesting in their own streets for change, they protest in ours waving their Mexican flags and demanding we give them amnesty saying it is their civil right to protest. Excuse me? You don't have civil rights in a country you are in illegally.
Quote:
....and then they have the nerve to criticize us when we start to crack down.
Amen!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:09 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,889,178 times
Illegal Immigration has created so much Problems and Complicated issues to deal with that it has caused many to become either Divided or Confused on handling this issue,it has even caused Patriotic Americans or those who are against Illegal Immigration to be labeled as Racist,Xenophobic,Etc.

I have no problem with any Immigrants coming to America,but it has to be done Legally...We are a Nation of Laws,and when our Laws are being Ignored and not being Enforced,it's sending the wrong message throughout the entire World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration