Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,836,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by succinct2 View Post
Having spent 15 years trying to learn to speak Spanish I would suggest it can be difficult. I can read it well, and write it passably...but I can't hear it or speak it well...
YOur English is fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by succinct2 View Post
...I have always though ESL an idea suited only for a poor set of kids caught in the middle. Well capable in Spanish and older than 9 or 10 with no English. Those into the system earlier need no ESL.
My younger two knew hardly any English before coming to the United States, and only required a minimal amount of time of ESL here. They have no trace of an accent now, and English is their predominant language throughout the day. Our eldest did two years of English in Mexican schools, and mainstreamed like an exchange student immediately.

Kids adapt quickly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:16 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,413,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Are you one of those people that doesn't realize that we have MILLIONS of people here that are illegal immigrants but are considered by the agencies that HELP them as "low-level criminals?"

Do you know the effect that allowing that amount of people stay here has? No, they aren't all running around committing violent crimes or doing things like selling drugs, but do you understand why people are CONCERNED and UPSET about how their collective-existence here in the U.S. is causing negative effects in other areas?

Just because millions of people aren't committing violent crimes (I refuse to refer to it as "serious crimes" because I think being here illegally is a serious crime and only because of the long-term effects) doesn't mean they aren't hurting the country in other ways.

That's the point: for some reason people such as yourself and politicians are NOT acknowledging the long-term negative effects of illegal immigrant. Sure, many are not raping, murdering, or robbing people, but let's talk about how many are hurting budgets, school systems, neighborhoods, hospitals/health care systems, colleges, public transportation. Are you aware of how a ton of illegal immigrants are costing states, cities and the nation more than what they are contributing?

If that isn't a cause for concern regardless of the crime-level then I don't know what to tell you.

So true people some it seems, fail to see the long term impact of illegals in this Country.

Oh i feel that the politicians do know the long term ill effects on this Country put forth by illegals, but? do they want to admit it to themselves or to us.

People that for some odd reason do not want to see any problems that illegals bring to this Country, are not fooling anyone, not even themselves.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,291,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
YOur English is fine...

My younger two knew hardly any English before coming to the United States, and only required a minimal amount of time of ESL here. They have no trace of an accent now, and English is their predominant language throughout the day. Our eldest did two years of English in Mexican schools, and mainstreamed like an exchange student immediately.

Kids adapt quickly...
It helps however when there is one English speaking parent in the family. When neither parent can speak English nor do they have the desire to learn it adaptation isn't that easy.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,771,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Ann Arbor officials voice opposition to deportation of undocumented immigrants with ties to community

I wonder if similar resolutions will be passed to "defer" action against citizens who violate our laws. After all, shouldn't we also "preserve" citizen families? Don't our homegrown criminals also have "ties" to the community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration