Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

"Our vote cannot be taken for granted, and yes he is going to have a difficult time getting the Latino vote, because he has deported more than 1 million people since he has been in office. That (has resulted in) record-breaking deportations and separation of families," said Dulce Matuz, 27, of Phoenix, who is an illegal immigrant from Mexico.
Matuz, who graduated from Arizona State University in 2009 with an engineering degree, is one of many people who attended the meeting to advocate for the Dream Act, legislation that would allow some illegal immigrants brought to this country as minors to gain legal status if they attend college or serve in the military.
[LEFT]
Read more: Arizona Latino leaders, White House officials meet

Matuz: illegal aliens CAN'T vote. If you're that mad over having families broken up; tell THAT to the real causes of that, those people who came here against the law to begin with.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,638 times
This looks to me like an attempt to at least salvage the Latino vote in NM. The Anglo vote will definitely go to the Reps.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
IMO, it takes a lot of gall and arrogance for an ethnic group of citizens to demand that our politicians snub their noses at our immigration laws in exchange for their votes. Yeah, we really need to legalize even more of these types of people or worse yet give them a path to citizenship....not!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Especially when the government tells us so few illegals are in the country.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Latino leaders can't have it both ways. They can't advocate for illegal aliens in the name of ethnic solidarity and then whine that the public identifies Latinos with illegal aliens. When they do, they might want to remember that non-Latinos vote. Vote to allow your relatives to pick our pockets and we will vote you out of office.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
I agree that the remarks comments to the press were, well, full of nerve. However, if I'm guessing right, considering the fact that he's still relatively young and graduated from college, I'm guessing he's been here a while, which means that he probably came over with his parents.

I generally favor stricter enforcement of immigration laws through e-verify, but I don't know...I think there needs to be some sort of remedy for children who come here illegally at an early age and grow up here. They're pretty much Americanized after a while, and it's not fair to just send them back. Ideally, illegals would be caught early and repatriated immediately, but it doesn't happen like that always. And what do we do to people who've come to call America 'home'? I think if they've led a clean life here they should be rewarded with citizenship - in these special cases, but not all.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
IMO, it takes a lot of gall and arrogance for an ethnic group of citizens to demand that our politicians snub their noses at our immigration laws in exchange for their votes. Yeah, we really need to legalize even more of these types of people or worse yet give them a path to citizenship....not!
Why not? Politicians have been snubbing their noses at the laws for decades now for their own personal gain.

Why do people like you always want to blame the illegals? Why never the corporations or politicians?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Our vote cannot be taken for granted, and yes he is going to have a difficult time getting the Latino vote, because he has deported more than 1 million people since he has been in office. That (has resulted in) record-breaking deportations and separation of families," said Dulce Matuz, 27, of Phoenix, who is an illegal immigrant from Mexico.
Matuz, who graduated from Arizona State University in 2009 with an engineering degree, is one of many people who attended the meeting to advocate for the Dream Act, legislation that would allow some illegal immigrants brought to this country as minors to gain legal status if they attend college or serve in the military.
[LEFT]
Read more: Arizona Latino leaders, White House officials meet

Matuz: illegal aliens CAN'T vote. If you're that mad over having families broken up; tell THAT to the real causes of that, those people who came here against the law to begin with.
[/LEFT]
Obama has that "what me worry" look on his face most of the time and he will get the hispanic vote (and yes they do vote) because that is what dems do, prey on the weak and uneducated to keep them afloat. If the hispanic people really wanted to see their people advance they would vote for the ones that would bring back their jobs and overhaul the educational system. I fear we just keep moving downward with more and more entitlement thinkers like LA RAZA etc.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The other thing...If people think for one minute that these groups will not be voting for only their best interest and even going so far as regifting CA back to Mexico...They are crazy and they will have the votes to do it. Gosh, just imagine the taxes they could raise on every anglo and give to the new Americans because they are of a certain heritage/victim status.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why not? Politicians have been snubbing their noses at the laws for decades now for their own personal gain.

Why do people like you always want to blame the illegals? Why never the corporations or politicians?
Yes, "we people" do. That isn't what this thread is about. There should be no free ride for the dirtbag people that hire them either. The Dream Act is just another carrot that will bring a flood of more illegals if it were to pass. Luckily, we haven't been insane enough to do it.

The guy claims, Not the America I want. I don't want him have it either. His America is further South and it's called Mexico.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 01-30-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration