Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Surpise, surprise. LA is one of the most illegal alien infested sanctuary cities in this country. The corruption and pandering is astounding.

LAPD chief backs driver's licenses for illegal immigrants - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Illegals buying car insurance??? Now THATS funny.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Surpise, surprise. LA is one of the most illegal alien infested sanctuary cities in this country. The corruption and pandering is astounding.

While their at it get em a 6 pack and a pound. No suprise

Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

The real issue here in not the fact that he wants to give them the "right" to a drivers license but that he , the Chief is in doing this violating all of you constitutional rights along with violating his oath of office he took. So I say ok give them a license and then give the chief the door. Along with that he also is discrinating against al of us LEGAL American citizens by inpounding our cars for violating one of their codes.
Everyone need to check out California Vehicle codes 17459 & 17460. Is states first that we consent to them taking us to court for violating one of their "CODES". Funny, when I was in California I don't remember seeing anything on any of the forms informing me of that ! So now isn't that a violation of the "FEDERAL FULL DISCLOSURE LAWS ". I would have to guess that although they take the Oath of Office ,like lots of thing with them it doesn't matter or mean anything. Don't do as I do ,but do as I say ! The only right's we have left is Our "left" hand and" left" foot.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
This move of reminding of the the 1930s politics in Los Angeles, when it was corrupt in that era. The city's politics today are a joke.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
I think this illustrates well the difference between pragmatic (the chief) and idealistic (those on this forum) thinking.

Pragmatic thinking seeks to bring about the most beneficial solution for a community, even if "ideals" are sometimes violated. The chief's stated purpose is not to aid illegal immigrants, but to reduce the ills of unlicensed driving. One could theoretically hold this opinion even if they were staunchly opposed to illegal immigration: it's a "lesser evil" to have drivers at least licensed and insured, even if they shouldn't be here in the first place, than to have them lack both and insurance rates rise, police work become more difficult, etc. as a result.

However, for the idealistic thinker, none of this matters. Even if there is nothing the police chief himself could do to ebb the flow of illegal immigrants into his city and stop them from bringing their cars or buying them, the city should NOT grant illegals licenses, because they are plainly breaking the law by their very presence.

The same pragmatist vs. idealist dichotomy plays out in other debates: whether prostitution should be legalized and regulated or not, whether "harm reduction" clinics should be set up to deal with drug addicts, etc.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I think this illustrates well the difference between pragmatic (the chief) and idealistic (those on this forum) thinking.

Pragmatic thinking seeks to bring about the most beneficial solution for a community, even if "ideals" are sometimes violated. The chief's stated purpose is not to aid illegal immigrants, but to reduce the ills of unlicensed driving. One could theoretically hold this opinion even if they were staunchly opposed to illegal immigration: it's a "lesser evil" to have drivers at least licensed and insured, even if they shouldn't be here in the first place, than to have them lack both and insurance rates rise, police work become more difficult, etc. as a result.

However, for the idealistic thinker, none of this matters. Even if there is nothing the police chief himself could do to ebb the flow of illegal immigrants into his city and stop them from bringing their cars or buying them, the city should NOT grant illegals licenses, because they are plainly breaking the law by their very presence.

The same pragmatist vs. idealist dichotomy plays out in other debates: whether prostitution should be legalized and regulated or not, whether "harm reduction" clinics should be set up to deal with drug addicts, etc.
IF the LAPD chief wanted to play: he could REQUIRE his cops to check immigration status of EVERYONE they stop and if there's probable cause, take them in and let ICE deal with them. No driver's license in the computer if stopped: take them in.

There's gonna be a showdown real soon cause people are getting madder and madder especially if Calif goes into the toilet moneywise.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:14 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
Ok first read and comment on my post in this forum on "Hit and run drivers". Second the Chief is a political pawn who apparently is cowering to the Mayor Viaconquistador.
The southern half of this state is in the toilet. I see signs that people are finally getting fed up but probably too little too late.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:55 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
We meed to start by getting rid of every dem who is running this State, out they go, and don't let them back in.

The Chief is problably on the Mayor's payroll!

I do still love my State, however in saying this, when will the idiots running it, take a hike.
This crap does **** me the hell off. Yes i write letters and i email, and i make phone calls, think they listen!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We meed to start by getting rid of every dem who is running this State, out they go, and don't let them back in.

The Chief is problably on the Mayor's payroll!

I do still love my State, however in saying this, when will the idiots running it, take a hike.
This crap does **** me the hell off. Yes i write letters and i email, and i make phone calls, think they listen!

H-ll no! They won't listen to anyone who is not contributing major $$$ to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration