Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 08:53 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,875,488 times

Advertisements

For Illegal Immigrants, New Estimated Cost if N.Y. Gave College Tuition Aid - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Much of the public debate surrounding proposals to allow illegal immigrants to receive state financial aid for college has centered on questions of legality: Would such legislation legitimize the status of people in the country without authorization?

But lawmakers have also been puzzling over another critical matter: How much would it cost the state?
This is crazy. Elected officials want to tax legal citizens to pay for the educational needs of criminal aliens. If illegals want a college degree let them go home and get one.

I swear I should get my kids declared illegals. Then I'll brazenly demand state legislators pay their college tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
But they can't get jobs once they get the degree because they are still illegal.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,791,794 times
Bloomberg will probably declare them to be "Citizens of New York State".

Bloomberg releases illegal aliens | The SUA Blog | Stand Up America US

Quote:
Just two days before Thanksgiving, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg quietly signed into law an ordinance (Int. No 656) ordering all city jails to ignore certain Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainers issued to deport illegal aliens from those jails. As a result, New York City jails will now release many illegal aliens back into the community instead of handing them over to ICE for removal.

Not only does the new ordinance require New York City jails to release illegal aliens without criminal histories – or juveniles with criminal histories – it is written so ambiguously, it could require city jails to release ALL aliens back into the community, including violent criminals and terrorists. That is, when one examines the text of the ordinance, it is unclear whether the criteria that qualify an alien for lenient treatment relate both to detention and notification of release, or whether they relate only to notification of release. The legislative findings in the ordinance suggest that the City Council intended a narrow reading of the language, stating its intent was to create “a category of persons who shall not be detained.” However, if the exemption criteria apply only to notification, then the ordinance would require New York City jails to release all aliens back into the community, and only notify ICE when they have released an alien with criminal histories
Release the criminals then notify ICE????

Old 03-13-2012, 02:12 PM

50,478 posts, read 47,209,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But they can't get jobs once they get the degree because they are still illegal.
^ This makes me smile

Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,582,349 times
Dreamies are also eligible for $5,000 scholarships in New York, as well as other states. I wonder who is footing the bill. I certainly hope federal funds are not be used. If so, this is a flagrant violation of federal law.

Quote:
Dream Summer is a 10-week full-time internship program that will place DREAM Act student leaders with social justice, labor and *****/LGBTQ organizations.

Each participant will receive a $5,000 scholarship to support her or his educational goals. Scholarships will be distributed at the END of the Internship. Internships for Dream Act student leaders will be offered in the following cities and states: California (Southern California, the San Francisco BayArea and the Central Valley), Phoenix Arizona, New York, Washington D.C., Miami, Texas,Boston, Denver Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Georgia, Alabama, and Connecticut.
Scholarship: Dream Summer 2012 - National Internship for DREAM Act Student Leaders - DREAM Act Portal Forum
Dream Summer 2012 - Dream Resource Center

Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 AM

Well they can't get federal government loans because they are illegal.
How else can they get a college education ?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Well they can't get federal government loans because they are illegal.
How else can they get a college education ?
By using some of the billions they send monthly to Mexico.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
By using some of the billions they send monthly to Mexico.
I'm of the opinion they have a right to go to a US college as a foreign student and pay the tuition for foreign students.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,334,964 times
Quote:
I'm of the opinion they have a right to go to a US college as a foreign student and pay the tuition for foreign students.
I believe there is a legal process for a foreigner to come here as a student. It isn't border jumping without papers.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
They would first have to have a "right" to be here, which they don't, to actually have a "right" to attend a U.S. college. However, I don't object to them pursuing a college education while here. Unfortunately, none of the states require illegals to pay the foreign student rates, and several states even offer in-state tuition. This unfairly treats them as citizens, whether they're offered in-state or out-of-state rates. I vehemently oppose this, because I don't believe their tuition should be subsidized by U.S. taxpayers. Nor do I think it's fair for legal foreign students to be required to pay higher rates than those here illegally. In doing so, we are essentially rewarding people for living here in violation of our laws, while punishing those who choose to play by the rules. I would be livid if I were attending college on a foreign student visa.

In addition, I don't think citizens or legal foreign students should have to compete against illegals for slots. In my opinion, illegals should only be admitted if there are available slots after all qualified citizens and legal foreign students have been selected. And, we certainly shouldn't offer legalization and a path to citizenship for simply attending college, especially for only two years as the current DREAM Act proposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration