Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 03:20 PM

30 posts, read 276,514 times

Advertisements

I first heard brief mention of this on Lou Dobbs the other night and googled it now to get more details. The story is that a company was going to terminate some workers for non-matching SSNs, so they all walked off the job in a spontaneous strike, without any union representation. The factory they worked in bottles and packages soap for Walgreens stores, so its low-skill.

Here's the kicker. They don't want to prove their legality vis a vis the "immigrant's rights" issue, which is an entitlement mentality.
But they also want more pay, noting that the replacement workers are getting $10.50 as opposed to $8.50 which was the top pay the strikers were getting before walking off.

They came here illegally, they support the nightly flow of illegal aliens into this country that puts downward pressure on their wages, but they want more money for what they do. Note the call for more militancy. I've bookmarked this site to see what the enemy camp is up ot.

Here is the link to the story.
ZNet |Race | Support the South Chicago Cygnus Strikers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:01 PM

156 posts, read 151,632 times
This does not surprise me at all. Exactly why is it that anyone illegally in this country can demand anything at all from any citizen of the country? Please tell me why an illegal has the right to sue any citizen of this country? Anything that happens to them in our country would not have happeneed if they had not been here in the first place. Does anyone ever think about the fact that it is the people who happen to be here illegally that cause their own problems?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,691,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Junkie View Post
This does not surprise me at all. Exactly why is it that anyone illegally in this country can demand anything at all from any citizen of the country? Please tell me why an illegal has the right to sue any citizen of this country? Anything that happens to them in our country would not have happeneed if they had not been here in the first place. Does anyone ever think about the fact that it is the people who happen to be here illegally that cause their own problems?
They steal jobs from US citizens and then they complain and go out on strike when the labor laws are enforced. They say all they want is to be treated fairly and with respect. Well how about the illegals US labor laws? They are criminals pure and simple. They should not only be fired but put on road gangs for a year before they are deported. Illegal aliens are not only criminals they are economic terrorists.

Get used to articles like this one guys. Pretty soon we will be seeing on the nightly news how enforcement of these laws is causing anchor babies to die of starvation in the streets.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:20 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,755,489 times
If I was a member of the International Association of Machinists (IAM) I would be furious. I would be demanding the head of the union turn in his resignation. There is no way I would continue to have them represent me.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 PM

156 posts, read 151,632 times
It seems that many unions are actively recruiting illegals to join their unions. It is sickening if you ask me, but hey, the powers that be want open borders for Mexicans to be allowed to travel anywhere within our country but you best bet that we would not have the same right to travel throughout Mexico and take jobs from Mexicans or anything like that.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 AM

960 posts, read 1,696,918 times
"Just as inspiring has been the number of African-American workers who have stopped across the street in their cars, looked at the picket line and the signs, listened to the chants, taken leaflets from picketers--and then drove away."

Does this make sense or is it the spin of the authors of the article?

The African-American community in Chicago historically has had a significantly higher rate of unemployment, and they are just going to turn their backs on a $10.50 an hour job because illegals are protesting? Yeah, right....

If these illegal "criminals" can garner support from the International Association of Machinists (district 8) then perhaps those who don't support illegal "criminals" should protest International Association of Machinists (IAM).

Futhermore, Total Staffing Solutions Temporary Agency should have their business license revoked because they knowingly broke our nations law by hiring illegal criminals.

The INS should be enforcing our nations laws by being at the soap factory with the "strikers" and hauling them back to the boarder.

Last edited by Carbondated; 08-14-2007 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 PM

562 posts, read 663,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post

The INS should be enforcing our nations laws by being at the soap factory with the "strikers" and hauling them back to the boarder.
Yes this is entirely correct - the INS should be there rounding them up and putting them under arrest to be deported.

The woman, Maria who said:

Quote:
"We are on strike because we see so many injustices," said one striker, Maria. "We have been working for a long time. Then they left us without our jobs and we really need them back. They forced us out on strike."
THEY forced us out on strike?? No, they said PROVE your legal status, prove your Social Security number, prove your citizenship. These people are criminals, and need to be deported, not have some Union trying to represent them. I think it's time some people from City Data in Chicago who support the deportation of illegals stand up and march to city hall and have a news conference on this issue. It's time to stand and fight.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:23 PM

74 posts, read 196,078 times
Here's a paradox. If ICE rounded up these workers and deported them, it would motivate Cygnus and other factories to hire MORE illegal immigrants because they company would know that ICE could be their "contract negotiator" and haul away anyone asking for more pay, a union, or anything like workers rights.

If the strikers succeed in gaining higher wages, then, that motivates the company to hire FEWER of them, because they cost more.

The more ICE enforces *after* they get here and start working, the less these workers will earn, and the more attractive their labor becomes.

Right now, we're structurally dependent on low labor costs. It's like being dependent on a supplier that sells at a specific price. If that supplier charges more, or vanishes, you could be put out of business.

By deporting Mexicans, you're going to create a vacuum that will be filled only partially by African Americans, and will likely be filled more by undocumented immigrants from other countries. This increased demand may cause organized crime to engage in more human trafficking. More likely, though, a lot of businesses will reduce production because we're headed into a recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration