Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM

597 posts, read 1,299,799 times

Advertisements

Hypothetically, imagine if (I said if) ALL the illegals leave the U.S.
What do you think would happen?? D the economy would be affect (badly) or would happen nothing??
(P.S.: I am not an illegal and I don't live in U.S.)

Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,078,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Hypothetically, imagine if (I said if) ALL the illegals leave the U.S.
What do you think would happen?? D the economy would be affect (badly) or would happen nothing??
(P.S.: I am not an illegal and I don't live in U.S.)
If all left....the economy would be effected very little if at all, right away, the only industry to be effected would be AG, how much would that really matter since imported produce has increased yearly (it would actually benefit exporting countries) ...long term... the economy would increase by $14B in illegals costs per year, $2-6B increase due to court costs and the like, States would save billions for education costs, welfare, etc...so we would actually be saving money over all.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Well nothing bad happened to their own country when they left it. In fact Mexico is becoming much more middle class, it didn't hurt to lose it's most impoverished and illiterate and helpless types.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,335,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
If all left....the economy would be effected very little if at all, right away, the only industry to be effected would be AG, how much would that really matter since imported produce has increased yearly (it would actually benefit exporting countries) ...long term... the economy would increase by $14B in illegals costs per year, $2-6B increase due to court costs and the like, States would save billions for education costs, welfare, etc...so we would actually be saving money over all.
Even the AG industry wouldn't be impacted much since only 3% of illegals are picking crops and there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,374,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Even the AG industry wouldn't be impacted much since only 3% of illegals are picking crops and there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers.
You're ignoring the fact that in Georgia, one of the states that passed real tough immigration laws, has had a dearth of ag workers picking the fields. So much so many small farmers are declaring bankruptcy, or just quitting, because they can't find the workers. Georgians don't want to work the fields. There's been more than a few stories about this. I forgot how much GA lost last year but it was in the billions.

Countless stories about how folks show up, work at most three days, then quit when their backs start hurting, they're hot, sweaty, and generally irritable and dirty. They even tried using convicts to pick the fields and they'd stop too!

Further, there's other jobs that locals simply won't do. There's more than one fishery that has packed up and left because the illegals left. I remember watching a program about this. A gutting and packing plant needed 50 workers. Nobody local wanted them. Dude said if he didn't get 50 workers in the next year, he'd leave. He said nobody wanted to work in a plant for just above minimum wage standing and gutting fish and working in a near freezing plant and come home smelling like fish.

Finally there's perception. This is trickier. I do believe a Mercedes-Benz executive was pulled over and arrested because he left his passport in his hotel room. Minor oversight that one, but still, it sort of screams to foreign businesses "HEY DON'T COME HERE!"

We have to face it - a certain number of illegal immigrants is a fallout of being a very desirable place to live with an abundance of hard work to do that the local populace feels too entitled to do. Either we need to realize that and get off our lazy asses and start working (I give that 1/100000 chances) or force ourselves to work once Mexico becomes middle class (laughing? think again, Monterrey and other mexican cities have booming middle classes and they're starting to consume as well).

Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
I suspect that most employers who cannot find legal employees are providing horrendous working conditions, extremely low pay.

It's a lie to claim that all Americans are too lazy to work for a living. Any time there is a job fair, you get thousands of people looking for a position. Long lines of people -- both whites and blacks. Tell those people to their faces that they are just too lazy and useless to have a job while they've dressed up and filled out job application after job application, you will see lines a mile long when a new store opens of hopeful job seekers. Condemning the American worker really doesn't cut it.

Very few illegals actually work in fields harvesting crops and the Dream Act illegals are demanding they be given college --- exactly because they are too lazy to do the hard work for low pay that people put Americans down for not wanting to do.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
You're ignoring the fact that in Georgia, one of the states that passed real tough immigration laws, has had a dearth of ag workers picking the fields. So much so many small farmers are declaring bankruptcy, or just quitting, because they can't find the workers. Georgians don't want to work the fields. There's been more than a few stories about this. I forgot how much GA lost last year but it was in the billions.

Countless stories about how folks show up, work at most three days, then quit when their backs start hurting, they're hot, sweaty, and generally irritable and dirty. They even tried using convicts to pick the fields and they'd stop too!

Further, there's other jobs that locals simply won't do. There's more than one fishery that has packed up and left because the illegals left. I remember watching a program about this. A gutting and packing plant needed 50 workers. Nobody local wanted them. Dude said if he didn't get 50 workers in the next year, he'd leave. He said nobody wanted to work in a plant for just above minimum wage standing and gutting fish and working in a near freezing plant and come home smelling like fish.

Finally there's perception. This is trickier. I do believe a Mercedes-Benz executive was pulled over and arrested because he left his passport in his hotel room. Minor oversight that one, but still, it sort of screams to foreign businesses "HEY DON'T COME HERE!"

We have to face it - a certain number of illegal immigrants is a fallout of being a very desirable place to live with an abundance of hard work to do that the local populace feels too entitled to do. Either we need to realize that and get off our lazy asses and start working (I give that 1/100000 chances) or force ourselves to work once Mexico becomes middle class (laughing? think again, Monterrey and other mexican cities have booming middle classes and they're starting to consume as well).
This is your reply to my post where I said this?

"Even the AG industry wouldn't be impacted much since only 3% of illegals are picking crops and there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign crop pickers".

You are spouting nonsense that Americans won't do other manual labor jobs. They always have and always will but it has to be for a fair wage. If a business can't survive without illegal aliens then they shouldn't be in business because in the long run we the taxpayer end up paying for their social costs and it is only the greedy employer who pockets the extra profit. We have immigration and labor laws. Employers are obligated to follow them. End of story!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,931,341 times
Quote:

Oh well. If an employer can't hire good help cause of law wages AND nasty working conditions, then he needs to up his game or move on. Pay some better money or at least offer decent health care and I'll bet people would be beating a path to your door to deal with frozen fish.

You can't treat Americans like slaves; slavery was stopped during the Civil War.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,374,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Oh well. If an employer can't hire good help cause of law wages AND nasty working conditions, then he needs to up his game or move on. Pay some better money or at least offer decent health care and I'll bet people would be beating a path to your door to deal with frozen fish.

You can't treat Americans like slaves; slavery was stopped during the Civil War.
And are you willing to shell out the extra $ to buy those goods?

Part of me is skeptical.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
And are you willing to shell out the extra $ to buy those goods?

Part of me is skeptical.
Are you willing to see these greedy employers increase their profits by using cheap, illegal labor (against the law, by the way) while passing their social costs on to us and denying American's a job? How can an American afford to buy any goods if they are unemployed? It is pure pro-illegal propaganda that prices would go up much with illegals gone from this country. Any so-called savings is eaten away by the many problems and increases in taxes to we the taxpayer to support them. No thanks, illegal aliens are no bargain at all. In fact they are big, fat negative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.