Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here seen Sin Nombre?

It is on Netflix instant streaming. It is easily one of the most moving films I have ever seen in my life. It is up there with the Holocaust film The Pianist for me.

It is easy to feel uninformed on the issues of illegal immigration today, and this film which is an adventure thriller shows what life is like in Mexico for the poor and how gangs control cities.

Regardless of one's view of illegal immigration, this movie is moving and will make you grateful to live in the US. We are so lucky to be born here because many Central Americans risk their lives for months to enter the US illegally and work the most undesirable jobs. Half of them don't survive the trip and that is shown in this film as well.

It is truly epic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,569 times
And what is also "truly epic" is the fact that illegal immigration (regardless of what kind of film is released about it) is still illegal. . . .

aka: against the law.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:15 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,932 times
So now Hollywood interpretation is the norm?

Sounds just like Detroit, Chicago, or (insert any slum of any city here) to me, could be anywhere.

Still no justification for illegal immigration, sorry.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
I am not swayed or moved by any of these illegal alien sob stories.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Has anyone here seen Sin Nombre?

It is on Netflix instant streaming. It is easily one of the most moving films I have ever seen in my life. It is up there with the Holocaust film The Pianist for me.

It is easy to feel uninformed on the issues of illegal immigration today, and this film which is an adventure thriller shows what life is like in Mexico for the poor and how gangs control cities.

Regardless of one's view of illegal immigration, this movie is moving and will make you grateful to live in the US. We are so lucky to be born here because many Central Americans risk their lives for months to enter the US illegally and work the most undesirable jobs. Half of them don't survive the trip and that is shown in this film as well.

It is truly epic.
Under the Same Moon is there too...

But not A Better Life, Crossing Over, or Gran Torino yet...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Sin Nombre is not really an "illegal alien sob story", and it is very graphic representing MS-13 and other gangs:

Besides, as I've said before, there isn't but a few minutes at the very end of the film where it is one illegal alien within the United States, and she is probably too young to be charged with anything...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Netflicks can cancel my account.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I liked Tres Veces Mojado the most. The ending was good.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I'm sure that half of those intending to get here illegally are not dying.

But at what point will these people decide to work for reforms? Maybe choose not to have 12 kids that they cannot afford? We simply cannot take in all the indigent and impoverished people of the world.

There are over 2 billion impoverished people throughout the world. Do the open borders proponents really propose we bring them all in? Every Asian, African, South American, Central American and European who isn't making it in his or her own country should simply come here and we can fix all their issues? Too many Americans are finding it difficult to find a job -- it's incredibly naive to believe we can bring in 2 billion poor people and let them work here or be taken care of here.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
...Do the open borders proponents really propose we bring them all in? Every Asian, African, South American, Central American and European who isn't making it in his or her own country should simply come here and we can fix all their issues?...
But you are primarily objecting to the North Americans...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration