Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 PM

153 posts, read 131,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I was under the impression you were 20 years old? You seem to get around the state of California. You apparently have had an amazing life with all the people you have met.
Oh so you did read that thread. Yes, I'm twenty, and I suppose when I think about it I have done quite a bit in that short time.

Quote:
Seeing as how there are degrees in ethnic studies, a course on Kawanzaa may be a requirement or a minor study for a BOA degree in African American studies. As there would be courses related to the BOA degree in Mexican-American studies that one can obtain from Cal State.
BOA?

Quote:
Are you speaking for two universities? Have you attended both universities and sat through a few ethnic studies classes?
Two university systems. University of California and California State University respectively. Yes though, I've sat through several ethnic studies, usually to kill time when visiting a friend or attending a conference. I must admit I've only sat through one 'Chicano' class though. I'm very glad that Arizona tried to plug on their ethnic studies programs, they're riled with hatred for anything 'European' or 'Anglo'.

Quote:
YOU brought up illegal Canadians. Show me the quote where I mention illegal Canadians? I didn't definitively say that illegals know or care about the holiday and want to be taught about the Day of the Dead. How do you know there aren't illegal aliens who want to or do care to know about that holiday?
You brought up how illegal aliens would want Ddlm celebrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU
Of course in the name of equality, illegals will demand a course for some whacko to educate the masses on Día de los Muertos.
Note you didn't say what type of illegals. You seem to imply all illegals celebrate it, when not even all hispanics (not even a majority) celebrate it.

Quote:
American citizens and legal residents don't get automatic welfare by virtue of them having a baby. That would certainly be a very nice benefit to citizens. While illegals are working under the table, not paying taxes, they collect benefits on top of their untaxed income. Unfortunately the taxpayer doesn't get that benefit. So you justify people who are illegally in the country abusing the system because American citizens do? Can you justify illegals abuse of medical treatment? How many illegals do you think have medical coverage? Even America citizens on welfare incur costs in spite of being on Medicaid. Absent the Medicaid, medical to illegals is free.
I've made it very clear I don't support the welfare state in any degree.

Quote:
Two universities?
Systems. There are several dozen universities between the two.

Quote:
No wonder illegals flock to California - virtually a free education.
Actually illegals don't receive free education at the university level. They're ineligible for federal or state aid. The California Dream Act, which was sold as giving state aid to Dreamers, does not come into effect until later this year and the amount given to illegals is still unclear.

Quote:
Once again, you decide who should pay for your education. Politicians? Sure, it makes sense that politicans subsidize state colleges out of their own pockets. I mean, why should anyone have to pay for an education?
My statement is that if politicians are throwing money at education, they should be throwing their own money. They shouldn't be obligating anyone else to fund their pet projects.

Quote:
Everytime it comes to cost that impacts illegals, you come up with a means as to how it should be free. Don't illegals want to pay for anything???
I don't suppose the welfare state. I don't believe others should forced to be paying the bills of others.

Quote:
If they get a work permit and get a job and have to pay taxes, will there be a movement to make them exempt from paying those taxes? Will there ever be a time when illegals will pay back even the slightest bit for what they have taken?
Illegals do pay taxes.

Quote:
According to you, a Cal State education is virtually free for every student.
For citizens the UC or Cal State system is essentially free in terms of tuition because of the large amounts given to them from federal and state aid.

Quote:
I guess you haven't come in contact with everyone and never met a student that is actually paying for their education.
I'm not eligible for any federal aid or state aid, so my degree was paid. State and nominally private Universities receive countless subsidies, but in so far as my tuition went I paid without federal or state aide. I have met others with similar scenarios due to their legal status.

Quote:
Cal State charges in-state students a bit over $12,000 and out-of-state $23,000 (without room and board) (minimum) a year for a student.
Your numbers are wrong. I have a cousin (a US citizen) attending a Cal State this semester and the tuition is 3.5k. The year tuition will likely be around 7-8k depending on increases in the Spring semester.

Where are you getting your numbers?

Quote:
Is every illegal virtually getting a free education? Are you getting a "free" education?
No.

Quote:
Or are you just resentful that you may be shelling out a couple hundred dollars a year to get that degree?
Replace the hundred for thousands. I enjoyed my University education and have no resentment for paying it. I am resentful that government intervention has caused several distortions in higher education. The massive subsidies are encouraging people to go who have no business in upper education. It is also encouraging wasteful spending by university administrators. Have you been to a campus recently? They've become luxury resorts full with bowling alleys, movie theaters and gymnasiums with the latest equipment. This latest 'Dream University' is simply an example of how bloated higher education has become.

Are you familiar with the college bubble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
[quote=Frank_Knight;25561052]Oh so you did read that thread. Yes, I'm twenty, and I suppose when I think about it I have done quite a bit in that short time.

Quote:
BOA
What is that Bank of America?

Two university systems. University of California and California State University respectively. Yes though, I've sat through several ethnic studies, usually to kill time when visiting a friend or attending a conference. I must admit I've only sat through one 'Chicano' class though. I'm very glad that Arizona tried to plug on their ethnic studies programs, they're riled with hatred for anything 'European' or 'Anglo'.

Quote:
You brought up how illegal aliens would want Ddlm celebrated.
Never said they would WANT.

Quote:
Note you didn't say what type of illegals. You seem to imply all illegals celebrate it, when not even all hispanics (not even a majority) celebrate it.
Does one have to celebrate something to have an interest? I read books written by Navy Seals, but I'm not a Navy Seal. I read books about the Vietnam War, but I'm not a veteran. I read books about politicans, I'm not a politican. I'm white, and read alot about the civil rights movement to get more insight about the black movement. I read a book about the Freedom Riders.

Quote:
Actually illegals don't receive free education at the university level. They're ineligible for federal or state aid. The California Dream Act, which was sold as giving state aid to Dreamers, does not come into effect until later this year and the amount given to illegals is still unclear.
Citizens don't get a free education at the university level either. Federal/state aid is a loan.

Quote:
My statement is that if politicians are throwing money at education, they should be throwing their own money. They shouldn't be obligating anyone else to fund their pet projects.
Just how do politicians throw money at education and how is it used? What "pet projects" are created by these politicians?

Quote:
I don't suppose the welfare state. I don't believe others should forced to be paying the bills of others.
Now that's a contradiction. Taxpayers are forced pay for the education of illegals grade K-12.

Quote:
Illegals do pay taxes.
What percentage would be paying federal, state and city. Or are you referring to sales tax?

Quote:
For citizens the UC or Cal State system is essentially free in terms of tuition because of the large amounts given to them from federal and state aid.
Federal and state aid is not free money. It is not "given", but it takes next to nothing to quality for it. Aid is another word for loan. Unless you have access to every student record, you cannot state who pays full tuition, who qualified for aid and how much aid they received, and who is coasting by getting a degree at basically no cost.

Quote:
I'm not eligible for any federal aid or state aid, so my degree was paid. State and nominally private Universities receive countless subsidies, but in so far as my tuition went I paid without federal or state aide. I have met others with similar scenarios due to their legal status.
One requirement for educational federal/state aid is that you have to be a US citizen or a legal resident. You may meet say 9 out of 10 requirements, but the 10th one, being an illegal, would disqualify you. Although I believe that illegals are eligble for grants and scholarships (those are a given).
Quote:

Your numbers are wrong. I have a cousin (a US citizen) attending a Cal State this semester and the tuition is 3.5k. The year tuition will likely be around 7-8k depending on increases in the Spring semester.

Where are you getting your numbers?
CaliforniaColleges.edu - How Much Does College Cost?

Quote:
Replace the hundred for thousands. I enjoyed my University education and have no resentment for paying it. I am resentful that government intervention has caused several distortions in higher education. The massive subsidies are encouraging people to go who have no business in upper education.
You form your opinion on what? Are you taking into consideration every university in the US to make the claim that there are people (US citizens?) who have no business in upper education? You don't think that with government's encouragement and financial help that illegals with a GED won't be taking seats in upper education from more qualified citizens? This business of illegals getting a path to citizenship by attending college is a joke. Exactly what degree will they be aiming for when they more than likely will have a GED, when in reality they are lucky if they have the equivalent of an 6th grade education to qualify them for upper education?

Anyone can attend college. They can fail year after year. As long as someone keeps paying, they can continue to fail until they get it right, if ever.

Quote:
It is also encouraging wasteful spending by university administrators. Have you been to a campus recently? They've become luxury resorts full with bowling alleys, movie theaters and gymnasiums with the latest equipment. This latest 'Dream University' is simply an example of how bloated higher education has become.
On this I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration