Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,452,691 times

Advertisements

Well, I found this while wandering about the internet
Quote:
A new report developed, in part, by a group that works with immigrants concludes illegal immigrants are not the drain on society that critics claim. Eddie Mauro is with "A Mid-Iowa Organizing Strategy" -- a group that calls itself AMOS -- and he believes this will be "shocking" to many.

"A lot of people, average Iowans, do believe that...this population uses a lot more services than they contribute and a lot of people will get to see that that's not necessarily the case because of this great report," he says. There are up to 85,000 undocumented immigrants in Iowa according to estimates quoted in the report from the Iowa Policy Project and its partners.

The report concludes those illegal immigrants are paying up to 62 million dollars in state taxes each year. At least half, and perhaps more, are using someone else's Social Security number at their worksite and that means they're paying federal taxes, too, according to Mike Sheehan, a former University of Iowa professor who is one of the report's authors.

"We can say it's unfortunate that they're doing it because it's illegal," he says. "On the other hand, it does provide a vehicle for making substantial tax payments into the system which, at least on the federal level, they have no hope of getting back."

Iowa Policy Project director David Osterberg says the study found illegal immigrants pay -- on average -- about 80 percent of the taxes a legal citizen pays, but they are eligible for few government services.

"We find a lot of taxes being paid by undocumented people, not very many services being available to them and when you look at them compared to legal people...we would find that they aren't really taking in the sense that many people think that's going on," Osterberg says.
I also found this
Quote:
Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani was wrong when he said that "we have a weakening K-12, including for Hispanic students." Just the opposite is true. Nationally, all four 2007 scores for the National Assessment of Education Progress tests for Hispanics were higher than the 2005 scores, and all but one were higher than at any time since 1992. (The only score that wasn't at its highest level was for 8th grade reading, which was tied with the record score in 2002.) Tests for all U.S. students in 2007 were higher than in 2005.

Last edited by greatbasinguide; 12-31-2007 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:44 PM

751 posts, read 1,184,595 times
The only people that complain about illegals draining on society are your incompetent, insecure underachievers that feel threatened by people that have an average 4th grade education and do mostly menial, low skill labor . I have never met any intelligent, business savvy person that was passionately opposed to illegal immigration. In fact, most business people realize that Hispanics (legal or illegal) represent a potential $650 billion market. I remember attending a conference where Kenneth Lewis, the CEO of Bank of America explained why Hispanics (legal or illegal) are going to be a very important segment of the financial sector in the future. From the business perspective, it made perfect sense.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,490,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
The only people that complain about illegals draining on society are your incompetent, insecure underachievers that feel threatened by people that have an average 4th grade education and do mostly menial, low skill labor . I have never met any intelligent, business savvy person that was passionately opposed to illegal immigration. In fact, most business people realize that Hispanics (legal or illegal) represent a potential $650 billion market. I remember attending a conference where Kenneth Lewis, the CEO of Bank of America explained why Hispanics (legal or illegal) are going to be a very important segment of the financial sector in the future. From the business perspective, it made perfect sense.
And from society's perspective, it makes no sense at all.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,217,457 times
The hammer is falling on the illegals and their lackeys as we speak.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:49 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,481,687 times
Quote:
I'm afraid that, whether anyone likes it or not, the "Legal Perspective" take presidense over the Business Perspective.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,864,868 times
Quote:
The only people who want them here are the would-be elitists who want them for their cheap labor. They also put their own profits way ahead of what is good for this country. Privatize the profits but socialize the costs -- because even though it's not good to bring in millions of uninsured, illiterate and impoverished people who won't learn the language any time soon -- these businessmen plain don't care. They'll work for little, they'll get food stamps, Medicaid, WIC and housing subsidies to enable them to live here with our high cost of living.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
And from society's perspective, it makes no sense at all.
In reality --- if these people actually believed those claims, they would be moving their businesses to Mexico. They just want the ultra-cheap labor and unlimited quanities of it -- but they also want to be in a more successful country which Americans built --- because they don't really believe in their "hispanic" people enough to relocate themselves to Mexico.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:10 PM

751 posts, read 1,184,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The only people who want them here are the would-be elitists who want them for their cheap labor. They also put their own profits way ahead of what is good for this country. Privatize the profits but socialize the costs -- because even though it's not good to bring in millions of uninsured, illiterate and impoverished people who won't learn the language any time soon -- these businessmen plain don't care. They'll work for little, they'll get food stamps, Medicaid, WIC and housing subsidies to enable them to live here with our high cost of living.
Immigrants coming to the United States have always been mostly illiterate and impoverished. The Irish, the Sicilians, the Polish that immigrated here, I mean, it is not like these people were royalty, they were mostly uneducated and poor just like the majority of Hispanics that come to this country.

I guess, the only fundamental difference is that today, many of these Hispanics are illegal, but other than that, all it really takes is a couple generations for people to assimilate and integrate into the new society. The Irish, the Italians, the Polish all built their ethnic ghettos just like the Hispanic barrios. They were all discriminated, they all formed gangs, etc. Not much different whan what we are seeing today (regardless of their immigration status)

As people become more integrated and educated, they started to move out of the ethnic ghettos and into "normal" neighborhoods. It has happened for the last 400 years. There is nothing "new" or "special" about Hispanic immigrants.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,217,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In reality --- if these people actually believed those claims, they would be moving their businesses to Mexico. They just want the ultra-cheap labor and unlimited quanities of it -- but they also want to be in a more successful country which Americans built --- because they don't really believe in their "hispanic" people enough to relocate themselves to Mexico.
Very true.

Compared to Mexico; we still have the rule of law here i.e. no Federale BS etc.

I can just 'see' the howls of indignation of the pro illegal employers if the 'walked the talk'; moved to Mexico to do business then they receive a taste of reality SOB.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Immigrants coming to the United States have always been mostly illiterate and impoverished. The Irish, the Sicilians, the Polish that immigrated here, I mean, it is not like these people were royalty, they were mostly uneducated and poor just like the majority of Hispanics that come to this country.

I guess, the only fundamental difference is that today, many of these Hispanics are illegal, but other than that, all it really takes is a couple generations for people to assimilate and integrate into the new society. The Irish, the Italians, the Polish all built their ethnic ghettos just like the Hispanic barrios. They were all discriminated, they all formed gangs, etc. Not much different whan what we are seeing today (regardless of their immigration status)

As people become more integrated and educated, they started to move out of the ethnic ghettos and into "normal" neighborhoods. It has happened for the last 400 years. There is nothing "new" or "special" about Hispanic immigrants.
Oh yeah -- those Irish and Polish gangs -- they were exactly like the MS13. Exactly. Marasalvatrucha types exactly.

Europe isn't like Mexico and Central America. Not in many ways -- the Europeans were coming from societies that were already democratic or moving quickly toward that. Many of the Mexicans coming from the southern Mexican states are from societies that have not progressed beyond milpa farming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration